Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New tubeless sealant at beginning of season?

So I basically never do much with my sealant. Got new wheels at the beginning of last season, put Orange sealant in there, and that was it for the year. Is it best to clean out the tire now at the beginning of the season and add new sealant, leave what's in there and add more, or just run with what's in there until I lose air?

I add sealant a couple times a season. It dries up quickly here in Utah.

Tires don't last long enough to bother cleaning them out. I just add sealant as needed and clean the rim when I replace the tire.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Tires don't last long enough to bother cleaning them out. I just add sealant as needed and clean the rim when I replace the tire.
    This.

That said, this is what I pulled out of a tire that was on a bike for 2.5 years, with sealant topped up every so often;

I don't worry about it until I notice the tire losing air. My rear has pretty fresh sealant because I had a good puncture last fall that needed patching and re-sealing. Was still pretty full after sitting for a few months. Front tire is getting replaced in a week or two anyway.

If I was in a hotter climate with pokey things everywhere like AZ I would probably keep up on it a little better.

Sounds good. When I get some time I'll peek inside one of the tires to look for collected snot, for now I'll just run em and see if they leak--they held air all winter in the garage...

Although it will probably bite me in the ass sooner or later. Worn out XC tires with old sealant- that's a reliable combination...
    Last edited by jamal; 04-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.

I just add more sealant. My problem is late fall I gotta flat and put in a tube to get me through the final few weeks til it snowed and now I can't remember if I've gotta tube in the front or back.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I just add more sealant. My problem is late fall I gotta flat and put in a tube to get me through the final few weeks til it snowed and now I can't remember if I've gotta tube in the front or back.
    Should be able to tell by the valve stem - tubeless vs tubed valve stem should be pretty distinguishable...

Some tubes have removable cores. I've been tricked by them a couple times.
    There's a pressure threshold where the tube and tire separate Seems like dropping the pressure to 5-10psi would allow you to pinch the tires and feel which one has a tube inside.
    However many are in a shit ton.

New tubeless sealant at beginning of season?

So I just took my front wheel of in anticipation of a gravel ride tonight and heard some Orange sealant still swooshing around. Not much, but it's liquid, so I'm gonna let it be for now

Has anybody tried the new sealant from slime? https://www.slime.com/us/products/bi...ss-sealant.php

It'd be great if that stuff was 1/2 the price of Stan's...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Orange sealant
    I've been curious how well that stuff holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Has anybody tried the new sealant from slime? https://www.slime.com/us/products/bi...ss-sealant.php
    Is it actually available yet? I don't see it for sale anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Comparably priced in small volumes, but apparently available in 1 Gal containers for $65 which is about 1/2: https://www.cxmagazine.com/slime-lau...-ready-formula
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.

It'd be great if they stock it at QBP!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If its to the point where you need a gallon of sealant you're probably better off just making your own.

I just keep adding sealant as needed, usually tires only last me 9-12mos so its not worth the time to clean it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's cheap at Wal Mart but I don't know if the car stuff is the same as the bike stuff. I'm going to find out soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I've been curious how well that stuff holds up.

Is it actually available yet? I don't see it for sale anywhere.

Comparably priced in small volumes, but apparently available in 1 Gal containers for $65 which is about 1/2: https://www.cxmagazine.com/slime-lau...-ready-formula
    I've been running the Orange Seal sub zero stuff for a few months now and it's been great. Can't give a longer term review than a few months though. On my fatty I've had to add air a few times but I think that's more due to the temp variations between the cool basement, cold transports and ride temps and then VERY warm transport and ride temps. I'm not planning to clean the tires and change sealant for the summer so we'll see how it holds up through the warm season.

Yes, I have some on the way so will report on it in a week or two. I'm kind of looking forward to something completely different. I'll be changing a few bikes over from Stans and doing one for the first time with it.

Anyone else add glitter to your sealant to help it coagulate a bit better?

Orange won't create as many snot piles as stans, according to the 2 or 3 times I've used it and what others have said as well.

I went full enduro last year and made a batch of homemade sealant for fairly cheap, used some of the automotive slime sealant as a starter, there's thicker bits of rubber in that. Would probably be ok in a bike tire, but may not be able to add through valve hole, wouldn't hurt to add smaller stuff like glitter.

Orange Seal is far better than Stan's from my experience. But it will make golf balls every 4-6mos or so.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Dear Reckless, That's clever. Thanks for sharing ........... again.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Pete Fagerlin - a name from the past. He used to have a blog with cool helmet cam videos when that meant strapping a real camera to your head.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Dear Reckless, That's clever. Thanks for sharing ........... again.
    Your well com.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If its to the point where you need a gallon of sealant you're probably better off just making your own.
    Yeah this. I buy natural latex mold builder. One gallon for $75 makes three gallons of sealant as needed. Basically a metric fuckton. That's like $300 worth of Stan's. One part latex, two parts water, glitter. I'll add a bit of anti freeze for freezing conditions but it's rare I'm out in that. That recipe's kept me rolling for at least six years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Anyone else add glitter to your sealant to help it coagulate a bit better?
    Yes, when I have some. I think it helps and made a point to buy a bunch so I can be more consistent about it.

Re: Adding more, yeah, tires only last a month or two for me so I just add when dry. Take the wheel off your bike and shake it around. If you hear fluid in there you're good. If not, you're taking your chances.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air