Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    Hey Cody the site won't let me PM you. Send me a PM if you can.
    Looked for DM button. Can’t find it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCJC View Post
    Hey Cody the site won't let me PM you. Send me a PM if you can.
    I also can’t post on your FS thread for some reason...I am actually coming over to the Island tomorrow. Nanaimo and then courtenay for the weekend. Can’t even post my email for u.

Question: Is the LUPO AX 115 and 120 essentially the same boot but with a different rated tongue? I would imagine that it is, given that the boot stiffness comes from the tongue and the rest of the boot is made from the exact same material.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Question: Is the LUPO AX 115 and 120 essentially the same boot but with a different rated tongue? I would imagine that it is, given that the boot stiffness comes from the tongue and the rest of the boot is made from the exact same material.
    No... Totally different cuff. I have the AX115’s and they have the more traditional KR2 style upper cuff.

Yep, I see that now. Does That translates to not as stiff laterally? I'm 5'11" 220lbs so thinking this may be a bit soft. I don't have particularly flexible ankles so sometimes have trouble flexing boots (just be flexing ankles and knees) since I don't have the range of motion necessary so thinking these may work for me.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Yep, I see that now. Does That translates to not as stiff laterally? I'm 5'11" 220lbs so thinking this may be a bit soft. I don't have particularly flexible ankles so sometimes have trouble flexing boots (just be flexing ankles and knees) since I don't have the range of motion necessary so thinking these may work for me.
    I’ve never tried the 120 or 130 to know if they’re any less stiff laterally.

I added Power Wrap liners and a Booster strap to mine.

They’ve been OK for mellower days inbounds, but I found their limit in some deep, fresh snow on steep terrain w/ wide skis. If you’re really getting after it, or strong and aggressive they may not always have the “oomph” you want; consequently I recently bought some 4-buckle boots to use for those days. I’m going to limit the AX115’s to tours and/or mellow days I don’t want/need the extra “oomph” that a more traditional boot gives in certain terrain/conditions.

In case anybody is still looking for the characteristics of the material ("IRFRAN") the Lupo AX 120/115/110 W is made from...

(I'm not an organic chemist nor a materials engineer, so I probably can't offer more insight than is presented.)

IRFRAN is a hydrogenated-styrenic-butadiene-copolymer-based thermoplastic olefin (TPO) manufactured by Francesco Franceschetti Elastomeri. Its gross and advertised characteristics are:

IRFRAN®: Shore-D compounds based on SEBS with improved low-temp toughness compared to MARFRAN®

Nordmann, Rassmann GmbH; "Francesco Franceschetti Elastomeri Factsheet"

Irfran® compounds present an ideal alternative to polymers such as ABS or PC, making product solutions possible for even the highest demands on impact strength.

As Irfran® range compounds are also paintable, these high impact resistant compounds are especially well-suited to use in the manufacture of safety helmets, motorcycle mudguards or wing mirror housing. With a density of 0.9 g/cm³, they are comparatively lighter in weight than either ABS (1.03-1.1 g/cm³) or PC (1.2 g/cm³) and demonstrate improved chemical resistance as well as a lower propensity to molding stress following the production process.

In addition to these product qualities, Irfran® compounds are also recyclable and feature low processing temperatures that result in lower levels of energy consumption.

Nordmann, Rassmann GmbH; "High impact resistant compounds from Francesco Franceschetti Elastomeri"

GRADE: IRFRAN
    Aspect: matt (sic)
    Hardness ShD: 52-55
    Flexural Modulus (Mpa): 330-550
    Density (g/cm^3): 0.89
    Elongation at break (%): 700
    Tear strength (N/mm): 105-125
    Injection moulding: X (yes)
    Extrustion: (no)

Francesco Franceschetti Elastomeri, "MARFRAN TPO Brochure"

I’m really close to going with the ax120, I’ve heard of some issues with the toe and heel grtting recked by alpine bindings. I’d be skiing these in shifts and pivots. Anyone been using these with shifts or other alpine bindings mich?

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    I’m really close to going with the ax120, I’ve heard of some issues with the toe and heel grtting recked by alpine bindings. I’d be skiing these in shifts and pivots. Anyone been using these with shifts or other alpine bindings mich?
    I took the AT sole blocks off & replaced them with the "alpine" sole blocks in order to fit bindings more universally [alpine in quotes because they aren't certified/tested per MDV]

I was a little surprised to see that the AT sole blocks had cracked at the outside edges. Eventually, this would have become a wear issue. I guess it's good they are replaceable, but I think they could be a little more durable.

[pic later]
    [edit for heel block pics showing cracks]
    these seem more cosmetic since the cracks are not near the screw holes but it seems like, if these segments were to release, there would be less heel edge hold walking. These blocks have less than 20 days on them to my knowledge (purchased used).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	527.4 KB 
ID:	272461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	272462

as for the toes, the plastic does get poked by tech pins
    Last edited by acinpdx; 03-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Just did a 32km tour (60% skinning) with a new pair of lupos I got off someone on this forum.

Frame bindings and had no issues. Plan on going with tech bindings soon so will update then. Heard the same thing about the tech inserts but couldn’t pass up the boots cuz they actually fit.

Tried on Lupo side by side with the AT version of my downhill boot, and strutted around REI for about 30 minutes. Lupos were clearly much more comfy out of the box.

Read some reviews questioning durability. Should I care or just send it?

They play nice with Intuition pro/power wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Tried on Lupo side by side with the AT version of my downhill boot, and strutted around REI for about 30 minutes. Lupos were clearly much more comfy out of the box.

Read some reviews questioning durability. Should I care or just send it?

They play nice with Intuition pro/power wraps?
    I got some on close out at campsaver ax120 and they fit good. My alpine boot is full tilt. I am giving them a run and will look at hoji free to see if width last is sized small enough. Have not skied em yet to know. So sure based on my living room fit - giver!
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I was a little surprised to see that the AT sole blocks had cracked at the outside edges. Eventually, this would have become a wear issue. I guess it's good they are replaceable, but I think they could be a little more durable.
    Interesting. Maybe those of us with new Lupo Gripwalk sole plates might want to consider prophylactically reinforcing that groove with a Dremel (to rough up the surface) and some JB Weld?

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    Interesting. Maybe those of us with new Lupo Gripwalk sole plates might want to consider prophylactically reinforcing that groove with a Dremel (to rough up the surface) and some JB Weld?
    might work...seems worthy of a test by someone with unmarred heel blocks

in my case, it was just the outside edge of each heel...the inside edge was fine...not sure why

Had my Lupos for over a year now. Have used them with G3 Ions, Fritschi Evos and Frame Bindings. I have had zero difficulties with any of them. Upgraded to son Intuition Luxury liners just to take up some more space in the boot as I felt the original liners which are way softer, slosh around a bit. It’s worked so far.

I decided to mod the lever ledge in the back to increase the forward lean a bit just for shits and giggles. The jury is still out on whether I like the original lean or the new one, but regardless, it wasn’t that difficult and it works.

The more I use them however the more I hate the tongues. I don’t notice them on a bluebird day where I skin all the way up and ski all the way down but I definitely notice them when I am in deep stormy conditions and everyone else is waiting for me while I dick around with my boots.

And I really notice them when doing laps or there’s a short section of skinning to be done before more downhill. I tried leaving the tongues on once but it was not pleasant.

Anyway. I finally have a boot that fits my foot and skis pretty decent so I will stay the course and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    might work...seems worthy of a test by someone with unmarred heel blocks

in my case, it was just the outside edge of each heel...the inside edge was fine...not sure why
    update on plastic

i installed alpine blocks which is much nicer going between skis/bindings

with correct forward pressure in STH2 13 WTR, I've got a little toe divot
    maybe i don't have the toe wing splay correct?
    but i think it just may be plastic softness...

Name:	toe bump.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	993.1 KB 
ID:	316794

Name:	toebump2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	316795