Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hey the 1.25 to 2" adapter. Some play, but both your car and the rack will handle it fine.

You can install a shim to take the play out of the adapter once you have it all mounted up.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    If you don't have the hitch, Buy the one you find for the cheapest including shipping that fits your vehicle. You can get the harness from eTrailer- but not even needed if all you plan on doing is the bike rack. Don't bother with anything that just straps to the back of the car - not worth the hassle.
    FIFY

Curt, Reese, Draw-Tite, and others are all pretty similar most of the time. Unless you want a local place to get the business that you like dealing with. They used to just put their name on someone else's manufactured hitches.

I got a Hidden Hitch locally when I did my last vehicle. I did the install along with my father as a helper that for years did a trailer hitch on every vehicle. The Hidden hitch though had some receiver tolerances that were off and the hitch rack really was loose and flopped at any speed. I demanded they replace it under their warranty and they did, including the local dealer making the switch over, so it paid off going local on that deal. UHaul is not that great in my estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    And uhaul costs more. These things just bolt on, right? Like I can do it myself?
    Most all the hitches now you drill a few holes and bolt it on the frame. You can weld some on too, but no need for a light weight Class 2 hitch or even most class 3 2 inch hitches either.

You may also want to get a locking receiver pin depending on the design. Some hitches have the break away chain loops which could be used to get a bike lock cable through it, otherwise you are just trying to deter the theft of a good high end bike with a chain or cable around the rack post and if someone wants that bike it is easier to get it.

I ran a 1.25 hitch on a VW golf for many years just for the bike rack it would sit ass low with 2 or 3 bikes on the rack I could probably have DIY but I just had a hitch store do it

I have a rack that hangs the bikes from the top tube which is pretty old fashioned, IME with a small car the bikes wheels often hit ground while crossing curbs onto the road or dips in the hyway at speed especialy with DH bikes , a rack you can hang bikes from higher on the bike wouldn't ground out, of course that wouldnt happen with a tray type rack but then maybe the tray hits ??

I don't think you need 2" and I don't think you should tow anything with a small car like a Subaru or VW

now I rock the 4x4 pu
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-07-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't intend to tow anything... pretty sure a forester can handle a few bikes, tho?

I don't intend to tow anything... pretty sure a forester can handle a few bikes, tho?
    Yes, all you need is a compatible hitch for your vehicle, mount and get the rack of your choice. Make sure that you can pretty easily get he back hatch open without any removal of all the bikes. You want something that will allow clearance or fold out away from the vehicle and be able to open the hatch or rear door....

Bolting on a hitch is pretty easy, but if you are a mechanical novice, just go to Uhaul and buy it there (and have them install it).

Etrailer.com is a good source for information and has good pricing. They have detailed photos and installation instructions for each hitch, so you can see how difficult or easy it is for your vehicle.

I've used a 1 1/4" hitch on a sedan, with an extension to a 2" bike rack, and it's not great. The extension adds a lot of leverage to a fairly weak hitch (1 1/4" hitches are not made to bear a lot of weight), and it sits pretty low. I didn't like it, so I sold the 2" bike rack and bought a rack for a 1 1/4" hitch.

IMHO 1 1/4" hitches are fine for a 2-bike rack, but that's the limit -- no 3 or 4 bike racks on a 1 1/4" hitch. If a 2" hitch is available for your car, buy that one -- it's a "Class III" hitch, which is going to be much stronger than a 1 1/4" hitch ("Class II"), because it will bolt to the car in more places. Really no downside to the 2" hitch if you can get one for your car. Many cars only have a 1 1/4" hitch available.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yup, a golf is even less able than a forester but it was ok with a couple or 3 bikes on a hitch rack, I would put 3 on the rack, one on the roof, camp gear, 4 people and go for a weekend ... probably overloaded

my rack would fold outward so i could get in the hatch

Consider that the further you put the weight out from the car the greater the leverage is on the suspension which equals more sag/grounding

I should mention my rack was bolted to the hitch under the Ball and it was hard to get the ball tight enough so the rack didnt swing around something to keep an eye on especialy when i put that rack out behind a small trailer where it was really swinging around

I had to tie the bikes at the wheels
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A hitch for my car..

I'm not sure why a bike rack that's strapped to the back of the car is worthless or not worth the hassle. We've had one for 20 years and we've just moved it from car to car and leave it on those cars all summer. It's probably perfect for a beater Forrester. I even threw it in my bag on a trip to Moab and put it on the rental car. It's an old version of this:

Get the one for 125 bucks and call it good. I only take it off in the winter so I can wipe the rear window. We love the thing, it's wicked fast, just leave it on there, bikes come on and off in seconds.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just throw your bike in the rooftop basket and bungee it.

And uhaul costs more. These things just bolt on, right? Like I can do it myself?
    Interesting - out of curiosity I just checked the price for a hitch on my '08 Outback. $139 @ U-Haul, in stock, no shipping, several options @ eTrailer starting at $145 plus shipping.

I live I SoCal so U-Hauls are everywhere - YMMV where you are. No knock on eTrailer - I've had good luck with them too, and they certainly have the best install guide videos. To answer your question, yes, it should be a simple bolt-on instal. Get a different hitch if it's not. I would get a load rated hitch even if you never plan on towing anything. I was of the same mindset but have since rented and towed trailers twice - it's really nice having the option. Wiring the lights is even easier - a simple plug-in harness from eTrailer.

A hitch for my car..

Seriously why are you even considering all of this for a beater Subaru? Spend 120 bucks, (or find a cheap one on eBay or CL), slap it on the rear tailgate and go for a fucking bike ride.

The NorthShore rack will be with you long after the Subie is gone. You can transfer it to your next vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Seriously why are you even considering all of this for a beater Subaru? Spend 120 bucks, (or find a cheap one on eBay or CL), slap it on the rear tailgate and go for a fucking bike ride.
    Or ride to the trailheads in Bellingham, can't be too far. I guess she couldn't take Murphy then. A good strap on rack off Craigslist would be perfect. I drove with one from the Bay Area to WA several times, no problems.
    Look at this one https://bellingham.craigslist.org/spo/6042123368.html

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The NorthShore rack will be with you long after the Subie is gone. You can transfer it to your next vehicle.
    As can the other racks that slap on the back of a car.

The strap on rakes with today's bikes can be a nightmare with shocks and strange frame designs getting in the way. Get a hitch rack that holds the bikes by the wheels and save yourself the aggravation. Wrestling bikes onto the toptube racks like shown above sucks, even more so if it is a smaller women's frame and it is after a long ride.

Yeah, she should spend $800 for a rack for her $600 bike.

I'm getting a nice bike that I don't want to shove in the back of my car like I do with my 500 dollar bike...

And I have bungeeded Joe's bike to my roof basket before...

The hitch is 120 bucks and the rack can go to the next vehicle and my beater suby runs greats...

1UpUSA makes a sweet hitch rack where if you only need one bike. It tilts up out of the way and is super compact. You can tilt down with a bike to access the hatch and you can add on other 'trays' as your need changes. It'll last a long time.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

And I live on the other side of town from the trails..

My experience, it's a pain getting the straps adjusted correctly, then once you do you can't open the hatchback, especially once you have the bikes mounted on it. I was always worried about the straps coming loose too. Contrary to what others have said, the straps don't last forever.

And...
    Say you need to move something big, or take up jet-skiing, or snowmobiling - you're going to want the hitch. Honestly, the only regret I've ever had with the hitch is I didn't get it sooner.

No biggie - whatever gets you to the trailhead though, right?

It's all good. I'm frankly surprised how well my $100 rack has worked. Even the straps are just sun damaged to a nice grey patina. I routinely opened the hatch on the Audi wagon I had before and the Honda minivan I have it on now with 3 bikes on it. No BFD.

As can the other racks that slap on the back of a car.
    You mean the ones that scratch the shit out of your car, may remove trunk access, disintegrate when you repeatedly shuttle, and that you can basically steall off the back of a car with a pair of scissors?

Yeah, she should spend $800 for a rack for her $600 bike.
    If she's into riding Galby she'll be getting more bikes.

Got 1 1/4 on the outback, 2" on the crosstrek...2" much better for bike racks if you're planning on 2 or more bikes. Don't know why people are talking about drilling, since there's plenty of inexpensive setups under $150 that don't require drilling. Someone else already posted install tips. It helps to have a second person.

I'm a big fan of 1upUsa racks but they're not cheap.