Van Conversion Thread

I had a couple of requests for more pics of our camper van from people thinking of getting/building one, so here goes. Post up pics of your conversions too, so we can all share ideas.

Ours is a 2016 Sprinter 4x4, Aluminess bumper, BF Goodrich KO2 tires, extra insulation for year round use. We had the conversion done by Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA. Not a cheap set-up, but it should last for years. We toyed with buying used and building it out ourselves, but I don't have skills or patience for that. A friend took 4 years to finish his working nights and weekends. We opted to spend the money up front and have it to use sooner. Sportsmobile is great to work with - they will build anything you want and have tons of examples either on the floor or in their archives. It took us 53 weeks from the time we put down a deposit to when we took delivery. I think the wait time is even longer now. My advice is if you are seriously considering it, do it sooner rather than later. Prices and wait time are both going up. Our original idea was to buy one when we retired, but then we came to our senses and said why wait. Anything can happen if life, so why not enjoy it now. In just under a year we have 22,000 miles and tons of fun under our wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	van.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	203974

We chose a platform bed with plenty of room for toys underneath. Cargo track on the floors and walls lets us attach things. We use fork mounts in the cargo track on the floor to carry our mountain bikes. We have an external shower (hook-up in the left of the pic), with a diesel water heater/furnace.

Name:	rear empty.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	203975

We built this cabinet to carry skis. Below the skis there is more storage fore and aft of the wheel well, with cabinet doors for access.

Name:	ski cabinet.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	203976

We have a galley with sink, 20 gallons of water stored under the dinette seat (so you can keep the interior warm and still have water when winter camping), standard Sportsmobile cabinetry above, two solar panels on the roof, inverter, and microwave oven. Dinette folds out to a bed, so we can sleep three adults.

Name:	bed and cabinets.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	203977

Swivel seat on the passenger side. Cabin is very comfortable for two, gets a little crowded with three.

Name:	front seats.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	203981

We do not have a built in propane system. We use diesel for hot water and heat, and have a small one gallon propane tank with hose that we run to our camp stove. We cook outside in nice weather, or inside during cold/nasty weather

Name:	side table.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	203978

Here is what it usually looks like, crammed full of bikes or kayaks or skis or? We have carried 5 mountain bikes and riders up 4wd access roads, and shuttled 4 paddlers and their boats.

Name:	kayaks.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	644.3 KB 
ID:	203985

And, to keep it ski related, here it is parked in the ski area parking lot, stealth camping for free, arrive late at night, closest spot to the lifts in the morning. Just remember your earplugs, as those parking lot snowplows are loud!

Name:	snow camp.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	203984

Fucken brilliant, thanks for posting that.

I have a '92 Dodge Ram van/Sportsmobile. My biggest complaint, aside from not being 4 wheel drive, is the lack of head room without popping up the penthouse top. I like the new high top vans, and the diesel engines. The materials and finish of the old sportmobiles are not as nice as the new ones, but no doubt a lot less expensive.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Bitchin' Rig. Life is too damn short, glad you came to your senses and picked it up before your clock expired!

That thing is bad ass. Super jealous.

Hutash- Your rig, from what I can recall, is pretty nice, too.

I'm jealous of anybody with a van or camper.

How do they perform on rocky roads that usually require 4 low in a tacoma? They look like they have decent clearance.

We are building out a Ford Transit ourselves. Way too much work for me personally... but I like it just the same.

We had an old Class A motorhome that we lived and traveled in for a year. Once we settled back down, it never got used. We now used the van all the time.

Will post up some pics later.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    How do they perform on rocky roads that usually require 4 low in a tacoma? They look like they have decent clearance.
    The Sprinter does pretty well off road, but as good as our Tacoma did. It has decent ground clearance, but doesn't have locking differentials. It uses anti-spin technology to apply brakes to a wheel that is spinning, which works OK but can make climbing over larger obstacles a little tricky. It does great in the snow.

What wheel base and height is that sprinter? Looks like a 144 and high roof?

Quote Originally Posted by BaconskiWhiskey View Post
    What wheel base and height is that sprinter? Looks like a 144 and high roof?
    Yes to both

Wrong forum jong!

But that is a sweet rig!

Curious what sportsmobile charged you? We're about to pull the trigger and deciding between doing it myself vs paying. All we really need done professionally is some electric work, insulation I'm on the fence of doing myself, diesel heater install, and install of a second row bench seat that converts to a bed and a rear futon/bench seat, both of which you can buy after market.

Sportsmobile is not cheap, but will do as much or as little as you want them to
    You don't have to do the whole build out with them. A big issue with them is time lag between ordering a receiving your van. You can buy a van from them or supply your own, but I don't know if it effects time frames.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

If you can afford such a bitchin' vehicle, maybe consider also investing in some skis from this century. [/jealousy]

I'm rolling in a 93 Eurovan MV (FWD, 5-spd, 5-cyl) with 500,000 on the chasis and 170,xxx on the motor, works pretty good up here in Western Washington where we normally don't hit snowy roads until we're five miles from the parking lot. I love it so.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    If you can afford such a bitchin' vehicle, maybe consider also investing in some skis from this century. [/jealousy}
    Gotta save money somehow :-) I keep thinking I need new skis, but then we go out and I have so damn much fun on them that the feeling abates. For a while. And then I get the spring sales emails....

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    Curious what sportsmobile charged you? We're about to pull the trigger and deciding between doing it myself vs paying. All we really need done professionally is some electric work, insulation I'm on the fence of doing myself, diesel heater install, and install of a second row bench seat that converts to a bed and a rear futon/bench seat, both of which you can buy after market.
    Their price sheets are online. As hutash said, they will do piece work on your own van, or you can by a van direct from them. Pretty lengthy wait time for a full conversion from them, but I think it's usually less for piecework. Just give them a call, they are friendly as easy to work with.