Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exchange rate question. Should I change $ for € before I go.

Heading to Euroville this afternoon. Yeah, I could goggle this but hey - you guys are smarter than the googles. Should I run down to my bank, change at YYC airport, just use my credit card for everything, hit an exchange at FRA airport or hit a bank over there?

Been a while since I've crossed the pond.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

When I went to Germany last week, I just got the money from an ATM at the airport on arrival. I would not rely on the credit card for everything since you'll surely encounter vendors and shops who don't take cards. I get the impression credit cards are not very widely used in Europe.

Thanks V-rex. Yeah, not too worried about being able to access money (or spending money). More interested in how to get the best exchange rate. Using an ATM or credit card may not get me a decent exchange rate?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Exchange rate question. Should I change $ for € before I go.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Thanks V-rex. Yeah, not too worried about being able to access money (or spending money). More interested in how to get the best exchange rate. Using an ATM or credit card may not get me a decent exchange rate?
    Never exchange money at a bank or airport. ATM for cash and credit card for payments (never cash advances!) gives you pretty close to the mid-market rate which is the best that a normal human can do.

Although make sure your ATM and credit cards don't charge foreign transaction fees (or ATM fees).

Quote Originally Posted by TheElk View Post
    Never exchange money at a bank or airport. ATM for cash and credit card for payments (never cash advances!) gives you pretty close to the mid-market rate which is the best that a normal human can do.

Although make sure your ATM and credit cards don't charge foreign transaction fees (or ATM fees).
    for the win.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Airport money exchanges are usually a rip off. My bank (CU) would have to special order Euros and the charge was hefty. I have always used ATMs for cash once I get there and use my CCs where I can. I have never been unhappy doing that. Sometimes you can find ATMs that don't charge a fee. My CU doesn't charge me for using other ATMs. The CC will add on a foreign currency transaction fee to my monthly statement. It isn't much.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

And the FRA airport has ATMs all over the place. Just good luck finding a bathroom. And for gods sake don't use the ones in the attached train station, they are nasty. STFU said he would rather take a dump in his own hand than use the bathrooms at FRA. I quite agree.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Right on Tye, Riser and Elk. That's what I needed to know. Thanks, and Bring auf die Macht, Glad korridor drapet til meg !

Cheerio!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

I was bike touring in France & Spain which tends to be a cash intensive method of travel, we seemed to get hit with a user fee for ATM's unless we could find the bank which is partnered with our banks here in Canada, my bank is BNS and they are or were in cahoots with Parabus which I only found once, you can find that out on your banks website.

I just took out large amounts of euro so i wasnt using the M/C as much, what you spend in ATM fees will pale compared to the rest of the trip and yeah one thing Canada has is a very good banking system for debit/visa ... don't depend on cards the way you would in cowtown

Japan I found no problem using bank cards but in Bali my bank card quit working after the 1st transaction even tho I had informed the bank I was going to be in Bali. Fortunately Visa still worked so I was able to get cash advances and I had no problem getting the bank to reverse the interest charges.

GF's amex worked so lesson learned, more options are more options ... I got the no fee amex card
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks buddy, good beta.

oh, and nice rant

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Where are you going GfromT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by TheElk View Post

This

Call your CC companies and see who charges a foreign transaction fee. My Citi visa did, my AmEx did not - used AmEx. Best way to get the best rate.

They will probably charge you a fee for using the ATM, but the way to get the best exhange rate to get cash, is to use your ATM card.

Also, some merchants will offer to charge you in USD rather than euros - do NOT do that, as they will not give you a good exchange rate

also, you should call your bank and your CC companies and let them know that you will be travelling - my buddy didn't do this and had his bank card shut off in Mexico (allegedly)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Where are you going GfromT?
    Munich, then Arolla Switzerland, then Lofoton Norway. Had a good crop this year... NOT, no not true not true. Second mortgage, yeah, second mortgage....

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    This

Call your CC companies and see who charges a foreign transaction fee. My Citi visa did, my AmEx did not - used AmEx. Best way to get the best rate.

They will probably charge you a fee for using the ATM, but the way to get the best exhange rate to get cash, is to use your ATM card.

Also, some merchants will offer to charge you in USD rather than euros - do NOT do that, as they will not give you a good exchange rate

also, you should call your bank and your CC companies and let them know that you will be travelling - my buddy didn't do this and had his bank card shut off in Mexico (allegedly)
    Good advice Joe, thanks man!

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Munich, then Arolla Switzerland, then Lofoton Norway.
    You bastard.

have a great time buddy.

( Edit: you do know that Norway doesn't use the Euro?)

In France, and pretty sure across EU, banks cannot charge an ATM fee.

BTW, Schwab Bank reimburses you for all atm fees, and their debit card does not charge a foreign exchange fee. Most banks will charge s 1-2% fee.

You bastard.

have a great time buddy.

( Edit: you do know that Norway doesn't use the Euro?)
    hahaha, No I Did Not. Euro travel Jong that I am.

Do I need to convert $ to Lutefisk?

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Make sure your ATM card has a 4-digit PIN for international use.

If you're still using an old credit card without a chip, get a replacement with a chip, and assign a 4-digit PIN to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

guys... he said he's going this afternoon.

Oops. Missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Plus you can still use the old card almost everywhere. Unless that changed in the last year.

Also don't forget to warn all of your card companies and banks. If you don't, some will assume fraud and shut you down.

Anyone have his flight number? We can track him on FlightAware.

Hopefully Gary won't experience any unexpected decompression events.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Mmmmm... Lofoton.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Anyone have his flight number? We can track him on FlightAware.
    Gary usually flies by DHL so we'd need the tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Mmmmm... Lofoton.

OH. Fuck. YEAH.

BTW card is equipped w/ chip. It's mandatory in Canuckistan.

DHL tracking # is 696969.

www.mymountaincoop.ca