foam rolling / is it worth it

foam rolling is so tedious and dumb

but will it get me even more jacked?

i must know
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Better for de-jacking
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Better for de-jacking
    Yup. Great for post workout back, shoulders, IT band, glutes and hamstrings to get mobility back. A lacrosse ball and a hard surface is magic for knots. Protip - drill a small hole through it and put it on a shoelace, string, paracord, whatever for easy positioning. Also can double as a ball gag.

Mobility is key for full range of motion reps. But DD strikes me as a high squatter.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Yup. Great for post workout back, shoulders, IT band, glutes and hamstrings to get mobility back. A lacrosse ball and a hard surface is magic for knots. Protip - drill a small hole through it and put it on a shoelace, string, paracord, whatever for easy positioning. Also can double as a ball gag.

Mobility is key for full range of motion reps. But DD strikes me as a high squatter.
    Is that last sentence for reference with or without the ball gag?

You can think what you want about foam roller- but IT band and some other issues it is effective short of going to a Physical Therapist or Massage Therapy possibly. Those both though cost money where the foam roller once you own it just takes the time set aside to use it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I haven't seen a ton of difference personally between when I do and don't roll after a workout, but either way I will keep doing it because it has that massage-that-hurts-so-good kinda feeling that really can't be replicated any other way, besides of course with an actual human massage.

foam rolling / is it worth it

I'm a big fan of the foam roller for leg recovery

Doesn't hurt that good
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Doesn't hurt that good
    Don't listen to us, listen to the Coug.

I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I haven't seen a ton of difference personally between when I do and don't roll after a workout, but either way I will keep doing it because it has that massage-that-hurts-so-good kinda feeling that really can't be replicated any other way, besides of course with an actual human massage.
    I started rolling after my chiropractor recommended that I do it. Then I realized I could replace the chiro with a really firm roller and get everything unstuck with it except for my neck and stopped going. For post workout, it doesn't really make you more flexible, it makes you less tight the next day, aiding recovery. If you really want to increase flexibility you need to stretch, do yoga, whatever.

For replacing a hurts-so-good deep tissue massage, get a lacrosse ball. They're like $3. Put it between the floor and your knot and lay into it with as much body weight as you can stand. Then move it around a bit. Way better than a roller for specific points. Fucking amazing actually. You'll find knots you didn't know existed, and then cry like a little girl as you hammer away at them.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I prefer to use a vibrator...
    (https://hyperice.com/hypersphere) It's not as cheap as foam, but at $150, it's on par with a two hour massage, and you can use it as much as you want.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Fun fact- Foam rolling doesn't produce any measureable changes to your tissues. It feels good, yes. But if you were to study blood flow, lactic acid, whatever else you want to measure or observe. Nothing changes. So there is argument that any benefit is largely placebo. But placebos can work too. If you bump your head, you rub it and it starts to hurt less. Did the rubbing actually do anything? Only if you believe it did.

That said, I still foam roll regularly. It feels good when I am sore and gives me something to do while watching tv.

hmmmmm

sounds like cold water immersion way more beneficial
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Fun fact- Foam rolling doesn't produce any measureable changes to your tissues. It feels good, yes. But if you were to study blood flow, lactic acid, whatever else you want to measure or observe. Nothing changes. So there is argument that any benefit is largely placebo. But placebos can work too. If you bump your head, you rub it and it starts to hurt less. Did the rubbing actually do anything? Only if you believe it did.

That said, I still foam roll regularly. It feels good when I am sore and gives me something to do while watching tv.
    Got a source for your fun fact?

There is a fact that stretching produces measurable results. Foam rolling is a kind of stretching. Think rolling pin on dough. That is what you're doing to your muscles. Maybe your roller is too soft to see results. That is a common problem.

This sounds like something 50 yr old ladies in leotards do after prancercising.

What the hell is going on up in MN?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Got a source for your fun fact?

There is a fact that stretching produces measurable results. Foam rolling is a kind of stretching. Think rolling pin on dough. That is what you're doing to your muscles. Maybe your roller is too soft to see results. That is a common problem.
    I use the hard knobby one. Too soft is not an issue for me.

You are asking me to provide a source which proves a negative, i.e. foam rolling doesn't do anything. As you probably know, that is problematic. But if you search I will think that evidence of their efficacy is hard to find.
    4th result on google "do foam rollers do anything"-http://dougkelsey.com/foam-rolling/

Nutshell at the end:
    "The science and research on whether foam rolling reduces pain and improves performance is scant. There are only a few studies published and the majority of those suggest that foam rolling has little to no effect on performance.1

And one study showed that foam rolling prior to plyometric training – like jumping – was detrimental to performance.2

So, while some people seem to respond well to foam rolling, we have little to no evidence to suggest why that is the case or why it seems to help."

i was just wondering if there is any benefit

my body doesnt hurt and foam rolling seems like a chore

sounds like it doesnt get you stronger
    Zone Controller

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Will it work better if I cover my foam roller in tin foil?

I wonder if the Illuminati uses foam rollers....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Will it work better if I cover my foam roller in tin foil?

I wonder if the Illuminati uses foam rollers....
    Climate change is real.
    Vaccines don't cause autism.
    Earth is round, or rather ellipsoidal.
    Foam Rolling feels good but doesn't really do anything significant or permanent.
    Evidence, not anecdotes. Evidence.

i was just wondering if there is any benefit

my body doesnt hurt and foam rolling seems like a chore

sounds like it doesnt get you stronger
    The benefit is massage and light stretching to aid post workout recovery and get you back into the gym sooner. Getting back into the gym sooner makes you stronger.

hmmmmm

sounds like cold water immersion way more beneficial

Please go head first
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I use the hard knobby one. Too soft is not an issue for me.

You are asking me to provide a source which proves a negative, i.e. foam rolling doesn't do anything. As you probably know, that is problematic. But if you search I will think that evidence of their efficacy is hard to find.
    4th result on google "do foam rollers do anything"-http://dougkelsey.com/foam-rolling/

Nutshell at the end:
    "The science and research on whether foam rolling reduces pain and improves performance is scant. There are only a few studies published and the majority of those suggest that foam rolling has little to no effect on performance.1

And one study showed that foam rolling prior to plyometric training – like jumping – was detrimental to performance.2

So, while some people seem to respond well to foam rolling, we have little to no evidence to suggest why that is the case or why it seems to help."
    Sounds like it's the same as stretching. Studies show no performance benefit and nothing is really accomplished. It feels good. I guess you could say it's like masturbating, feels good nothing is accomplished. If it feels good do it?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I guess you could say it's like masturbating, feels good nothing is accomplished.
    Wait, wut?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

FKNA! You Tube chiropractic bliss. Get the 36"