Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    My understanding is that I could possibly add a 9 speed cassette to my existing hub, swap to a 30T NW in the front, new RD, new shifter, new chain, a couple of chainring spacers and be ready to roll. Is that even remotely close to true?
    Prolly, but need more specific info like pisteoff said. So yo want it to be a mtn bike now? Not a commuter at all? If you put a narrow/wide single ring in front, will that be enough gearing fr where you ride? My general feeling is like pisteoff's, maintain, or upgrade cheaply, then buy a current spec bike.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    So what's it now, 3x8? And does it shift ok? If so, and if it were me, I'd leave it, and save the $ for a newer bike down the road.

If you really want to throw money at it, buy better brakes.
    Yes, 3x8 now. Shifting is getting noticeably worse, and I think the chain and cassette need to be replaced soon which got me thinking... (always dangerous)

Agree on the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Prolly, but need more specific info like pisteoff said. So yo want it to be a mtn bike now? Not a commuter at all? If you put a narrow/wide single ring in front, will that be enough gearing fr where you ride? My general feeling is like pisteoff's, maintain, or upgrade cheaply, then buy a current spec bike.
    Yeah, no more commuting. I'm just riding it in the hills and using it as my transpo to and from the bar. I've been riding just in my middle ring the last week or so, and I think going to 30 on the front with 9 speed in the back would be fine.

Get a new chain and cassette, a new narrow/wide in front better brakes and ride it.

Get a new chain and cassette, a new narrow/wide in front better brakes and ride it.
    Word. thanks

Take a ruler and measure the chain. 12 links pin to pin should equal 12 inches. If it's longer than 12.5 you need a new cassette, but if it's under that, you might get away with just replacing the chain.

9-speed rear shifters (SRAM or Shimano) are pretty cheap if you're upgrading the cassette anyway, and it might be easier to find 9-speed cassettes than 8-speed. No need to change the RD, there's no difference between 7/8/9 speed SRAM derailleurs. I'd probably run a new derailleur cable though (whatever you do). No clutch on the RD but you'll probably be fine. Keep the new chain as short as possible (i.e. don't just match the length of the old one), that'll help with chain drops.

The geometry on that bike is pretty dated and not would hardly anyone would consider confidence-inspiring. I would actually start with tires and make sure the bike doesn't feel too sketchy when ridden "for real." Nashbar has some decent 26" tires for cheap https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...uot%3B-nb-flow.

Not that a 1x9 conversion is particularly expensive, but imo you won't be able to find out if the bike is actually fun until it has some proper tread on there.

Do a few upgrade things, ride it. Repeat. My friend's daughter just won her age group on a CL bike that was well maintained, but really worn and dated. Bikes are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Take a ruler and measure the chain. 12 links pin to pin should equal 12 inches. If it's longer than 12.5 you need a new cassette, but if it's under that, you might get away with just replacing the chain.
    Did not know this. Thanks, I'll do that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    9-speed rear shifters (SRAM or Shimano) are pretty cheap if you're upgrading the cassette anyway, and it might be easier to find 9-speed cassettes than 8-speed. No need to change the RD, there's no difference between 7/8/9 speed SRAM derailleurs. I'd probably run a new derailleur cable though (whatever you do). No clutch on the RD but you'll probably be fine. Keep the new chain as short as possible (i.e. don't just match the length of the old one), that'll help with chain drops.
    Also good to know. Makes sense since I wouldn't have a large chainring anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    The geometry on that bike is pretty dated and not would hardly anyone would consider confidence-inspiring. I would actually start with tires and make sure the bike doesn't feel too sketchy when ridden "for real."
    Tires are definitely what's holding me back the most right now. There are a couple of sandy and steep sections I have to walk up because I don't have the traction, and going back down has some pucker factor. Lol.

Do a few upgrade things, ride it. Repeat. My friend's daughter just won her age group on a CL bike that was well maintained, but really worn and dated. Bikes are fun.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I'd say the threshold for chain wear (before you'll probably need to change the cassette, and possibly chainrings) is more like 12 1/8", not 12 1/2". But you can always change the chain first and see what happens.

^^^ yeah, what he said. The rule of thumb is 1% stretch, so 1/8. I had a math fail earlier.

I've got a cross/touring/commuter bike I've been thinking about converting to 1x. It's just about time to replace the cassette and chain anyways so I'm contemplating a swap. The bike has standard 10spd tiagra (50/34 front, 12-30 cassette). I ride a lot of hills and gravel and wouldn't mind some bigger cogs in the rear. Possible to convert for under $100 (i.e. goatlink, new cassette/chainring, chain) and recommendations for gearing? Is the rear mech useable for a 1x setup?

I have a mtn bike with a 30t chainring and 11-40 11 spd cassette that I much prefer the gearing for my local riding.

That one's tough. A Tiagra RD isn't going to work with a 40t cog and I don't think it's compatible with the GoatLink. You might get to 34t depending on which Tiagra you have (4600 or 4700, SS or GS). To go beyond that you'll need a MTB RD - Shimano 10 speed MTB isn't compatible with your shifter but if it's Tiagra 4600 you can use a 9 speed RD (e.g. M772 SGS) to get to 36t. Or swap both shifter and RD and put in SRAM 10 speed, which is compatible between road and MTB.

The cage is long enough for that range. Goat link only works on mtb derailleurs?

40 x 11-40 would likely work out well. Lower, still lets you pedal on the road at a reasonable speed, but an 11-36 would be more likely to work with that derailleur I supppose, and with a 38t ring you'd be a little easier than current gearing.

Also it's way easier to go 1x with a sram setup. With the 2x10 road shifters you can use a 10s mtb RD or the new 1x11 road/cx derailleurs. I had 2x10 105 and just went with sram apex 1x on my CX bike. But with the new brakes I bought the whole swap wound up being a little over $400. Got most of that back selling old parts and some other stuff I had around but still pricey for the cheapest group. My gearing is 42 x 11-32, I don't mind it. Would have gone with an 11-36 cassette but it was like 2x as much as the 11-32. 42x11 lets me pedal at around 30mph.

It has the capacity but it's over the cog limit. You can mess around with the B-screw and see how far it'll go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

cheap bike vs expensive bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

cheap bike vs expensive bike
    Red one was faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HmVQCAjBE0

this one they compare the high price bike with a mid price

while the high price bike is faster the gap is narrowed and the performance gain does not go up % wise for the money spent ... mid price gets you most of the way there
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It's always that last little bit. Once you're at a certain monetary point, whether in cars, bikes, whatever, it gets really expensive to see any marked difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I've got a cross/touring/commuter bike I've been thinking about converting to 1x. It's just about time to replace the cassette and chain anyways so I'm contemplating a swap. The bike has standard 10spd tiagra (50/34 front, 12-30 cassette). I ride a lot of hills and gravel and wouldn't mind some bigger cogs in the rear. Possible to convert for under $100 (i.e. goatlink, new cassette/chainring, chain) and recommendations for gearing? Is the rear mech useable for a 1x setup?

I have a mtn bike with a 30t chainring and 11-40 11 spd cassette that I much prefer the gearing for my local riding.
    The Tiagra RD has a pretty large upper pulley cage offset, it's quite possible you could push it up to a 36T rear cog or even a 40T. The long cage version has a 40T total capacity. With a hanger extender, I'd say it's highly likely you could comfortably run a 11-42t or 11-46t 10 spd cassette, as linked below. You could probably use it with the existing 50t chainring, might run into chain line issues. A 46t narrow wide ring in 5x110mm paired with the 11-42t would match your existing gearing range almost exactly. I'm finding SRAM 46t's for about $60, or cheap no name ones from the far east on ebay, there are 42t rings for cheaper if you don't mind losing some top end.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunrace-11-42T-10-speed-CSMX3-wide-ratio-MTB-cassette-Silver-with-rd-extender/322930689391?epid=16003961445

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-10-speed-11-42T-Cassette-freewheel-CS-HG500-with-rear-derailleur-link/222642154214?hash=item33d681aae6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunrace-10-...id=13011128230
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 05-22-2018 at 10:16 PM.