Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    It's obvious CA has behavioral problems. 6 lanes in each direction and still gridlock. If laws and common sense were followed it would be flowing fine.

So many times I see the left lane camper ahead and catch up to see CA plates. Praying they're only visiting and not moving here.

And if they do change lanes never a turn signal is used. Or flicked for half a flash. After they're in the other lane. It's not an 'I changed lanes indicator', fucking morons.
    It's KSL's fault.

The dick move is not merging as required by law and forcing an unburdened vehicle to have to slow, accelerate or change lanes because you choose to be a dick.

Why is it always the other person that needs to lower standards for the moron? Common core schooling lowering standards to the lowest common denominator has taken over everything to not hurt anyone's feelings.

Fuck that and you if you don't choose to merge properly.
    Say you are traveling on a multi-lane highway, and someone in the lane next to you puts on their blinker. The law says it is entirely their responsibility to change lanes, ie only doing so when it is safe. So you are within your rights to do nothing. Heck, you're within your rights to actually close the gap and make it harder for them to move over. Or, contrary to the strict understanding of your legal rights, you could be courteous and slow down (or speed up) to create a space for them to move over. So, tough guy, what do you do?

It has nothing to do with the law and who is in the superior legal position. It has everything to do with sharing the road with other drivers, and trying to make the collective experience be a little less stressful, at zero cost to yourself (because whether you help let them in, from the next lane or a merge lane, it won't change your arrival time by more than a second or two). Allowing drivers to change lanes or merge, by making slight adjustments to your speed (as they do the same, depending on the best spot to merge/change) is simply the right thing to do. And while you don't legally have to do so, you're the asshole if you don't simply because you know that the law doesn't require it. The law doesn't require you to hold doors open for little old ladies, either.
    Last edited by Danno; 04-04-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In most states it is illegal to speed up on a passing vehicle.

Opening a space in the south is a common courtesy. Kinda like allowing alternating vehicles out of a NASCAR race. Not so much north of the Mason Dixon line.

Oh yeah, it helps to have a big truck with LED's to move shitheads out of the left lane.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Say you are traveling on a multi-lane highway, and someone in the lane next to you puts on their blinker. The law says it is entirely their responsibility to change lanes, ie only doing so when it is safe. So you are within your rights to do nothing. Heck, you're within your rights to actually close the gap and make it harder for them to move over. Or, contrary to the strict understanding of your legal rights, you could be courteous and slow down (or speed up) to create a space for them to move over. So, tough guy, what do you do?

It has nothing to do with the law and who is in the superior legal position. It has everything to do with sharing the road with other drivers, and trying to make the collective experience be a little less stressful, at zero cost to yourself (because whether you help let them in, from the next lane or a merge lane, it won't change your arrival time by more than a second or two). Allowing drivers to change lanes or merge, by making slight adjustments to your speed (as they do the same, depending on the best spot to merge/change) is simply the right thing to do. And while you don't legally have to do so, you're the asshole if you don't simply because you know that the law doesn't require it. The law doesn't require you to hold doors open for little old ladies, either.
    Random open road courtesy is one thing, but if i'm merging onto the highway, the last thing I want is the asshole in the right lane slowing down to let me in, because I'm pacing my entry under the assumption he is following the rules of the road too. Now I've slowed down to let him maintain his speed because I'm supposed to yield, and he's slowed down to let me in, so you have a bunch of people in the right lane going 20 miles under the speed limit with indecision about who is going to speed up first and running out of space to make the decision.
    The rules exist to prevent this.

This thread brings the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Do you have them portrayed in incredibly irritating vinyl family sticker in back window?

Name:  sw-stick-figure-family.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  93.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post

Want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post

hahaha, wheredafuck do i find one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Random open road courtesy is one thing, but if i'm merging onto the highway, the last thing I want is the asshole in the right lane slowing down to let me in, because I'm pacing my entry under the assumption he is following the rules of the road too. Now I've slowed down to let him maintain his speed because I'm supposed to yield, and he's slowed down to let me in, so you have a bunch of people in the right lane going 20 miles under the speed limit with indecision about who is going to speed up first and running out of space to make the decision.
    The rules exist to prevent this.
    I get that, and I'm all for not being an idiot. If you're merging, you speed up to the speed of traffic flow and look for your opening. I'm not for a second suggesting that the person merging shouldn't do that, nor am I suggesting that the default for people in the right lane should be "slow down to let them in". But once the merger is going the flow of traffic and looking for his opening, the situation is (almost) the same as what you call "open road courtesy". I am not saying that the people in the right lane should just slow down because people are merging, just saying that they should not be idiots and be courteous and aware, as in realize that there are cars trying to merge and act accordingly to make that happen seamlessly. Judging by your response, I suspect you get this, but some of the aggro posters have me wondering.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    hahaha, wheredafuck do i find one of those?
    Amazon has these, and several others including the T-Rex one that says your stick figure family was delicious.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Amazon has these, and several others including the T-Rex one that says your stick figure family was delicious.
    Oh fuck yes!

I get that, and I'm all for not being an idiot. If you're merging, you speed up to the speed of traffic flow and look for your opening. I'm not for a second suggesting that the person merging shouldn't do that, nor am I suggesting that the default for people in the right lane should be "slow down to let them in". But once the merger is going the flow of traffic and looking for his opening, the situation is (almost) the same as what you call "open road courtesy". I am not saying that the people in the right lane should just slow down because people are merging, just saying that they should not be idiots and be courteous and aware, as in realize that there are cars trying to merge and act accordingly to make that happen seamlessly. Judging by your response, I suspect you get this, but some of the aggro posters have me wondering.

Yes. The ramp yields, but if you're in the right lane and lost your place in the zipper to the merge-er, don't be an aggro douche.

It's just about having a clear expectation of how everyone around you will be driving without having to resort to game theory.

... Judging by your response, I suspect you get this, but some of the aggro posters have me wondering.
    I'm with you Danno, I think some people just want to be argumentative. It's called situational awareness....when someone is attempting the merge, its not that hard to figure if they should be pulling out behind you or in some instances (god forbid) you should ease off to let them in front. Pretty easy to judge by their speed and the surrounding circumstances. All about keeping the flow.

We haven't covered people in the right lane that move left without speeding up to let people merge on to the freeway
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    We haven't covered people in the right lane that move left without speeding up to let people merge on to the freeway
    Put em into the wall.

On a sorta related note, I just read that until very recently New Jersey had a law that drivers already in the roundabout/aka circle yield TO the drivers trying to enter it. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    On a sorta related note, I just read that until very recently New Jersey had a law that drivers already in the roundabout/aka circle yield TO the drivers trying to enter it. WTF?
    All Things Considered had an item about self driving cars yesterday.

Mentioned in the conversation about the difficulties of computers and humans driving on same roads was the Pittsburgh Left

WTF?

The dick move is not merging as required by law and forcing an unburdened vehicle to have to slow, accelerate or change lanes because you choose to be a dick.

Why is it always the other person that needs to lower standards for the moron?
    If you're already on the highway, you have a choice of the lane you're in or the next lane. If you're on the on-ramp and aren't as stupid as most of the posters up in here, you realize said on ramp will come to an end = you got one lane to choose.

Me, I'll just change lanes and let the driver on the on ramp have the space I used to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    All Things Considered had an item about self driving cars yesterday.

Mentioned in the conversation about the difficulties of computers and humans driving on same roads was the Pittsburgh Left

WTF?
    I'll be damned, I never knew it was called that. The first time I was hit by a car on my bike was a Pittsburgh left. I was riding up a long line of cars along the curb, trying to (sort of) time the light, so I didn't have to completely stop. Light turns green, I accelerate, and the SUV on my left blocked my view for a bit of the car making a Pittsburgh left in front of me.

KaBlammo, I slam into the hood, roll over the top of the car and land on the pavement.

2 people jump out of their cars and give me their cards as witnesses. I was only kinda fucked up, but the car was messed. Big ole "Z" in the hood and trunk, and some other crap. End of my Cannondale, onto a DEAN.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I'll be damned, I never knew it was called that. The first time I was hit by a car on my bike was a Pittsburgh left. I was riding up a long line of cars along the curb, trying to (sort of) time the light, so I didn't have to completely stop. Light turns green, I accelerate, and the SUV on my left blocked my view for a bit of the car making a Pittsburgh left in front of me.

KaBlammo, I slam into the hood, roll over the top of the car and land on the pavement.

2 people jump out of their cars and give me their cards as witnesses. I was only kinda fucked up, but the car was messed. Big ole "Z" in the hood and trunk, and some other crap. End of my Cannondale, onto a DEAN.
    It's almost as insane as Priorite a Droite in France

Priorité a droite which basically means that you must give way to traffic coming from your right.
    In 20 or so trips to France I never knew this. Watch out for that horse cart!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    That's how they do it in France. If you find yourself in Paris, go to the top of the Arc d'Triumph and watch the cars negotiate the traffic circle around it. It's fascinating to watch. It works, mainly because the French aren't as big assholes as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    In 20 or so trips to France I never knew this. Watch out for that horse cart!
    Larger roads have a sign that tells you that priorite a droite is not in effect. The trick is remembering if you saw such a sign a while back when someone is approaching from the right. An even bigger issue--you're tooling along a 130 kph when you see an enormous sign, red with white lettering, with a huge white slash through it. You have no idea what it means, just that it can't be good.
    While the French do fine with roundabouts god help you if you find yourself in front of a Frenchman who wants to go faster than you do. A Muslim goes to heaven if he dies on jihad. A viking goes to Valhalla if he dies with a sword in his hand. A frenchman goes to heaven if he dies behind the wheel of a car.
    [QUOTE=TruckeeLocal;4987103]Same in Belgium. But who here goes to Belgium ? Why ? {/QUOTE]

4 reasons I can think of off the top of my head--beer, fries with mayonnaise, chocolate, and waffles. All the best in the world. BTW The Belgians are the rudest drivers I've encountered in Europe--leaning on the horn about 98% of the time. Must come from living in a country that is made up of two cultural groups that hate each other. Which may explain our obnoxious driving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal View Post
    Same in Belgium. But who here goes to Belgium ? Why ?
    The jazz?
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 12.54.01 PM.png
Views: 519
Size:  503.8 KB

the beer and chocolate, ldo.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's how they do it in France. If you find yourself in Paris, go to the top of the Arc d'Triumph and watch the cars negotiate the traffic circle around it. It's fascinating to watch. It works, mainly because the French aren't as big assholes as we are.

By Golly, that part about assholes rings with the kind of grammatical and experiential authority you really have to go looking for in this graceless Age.
    Unfortunately, the French (and certainly Parisian) application of the General Prudential Rule you're trying to pimp is historically spottier than in America, as you noted in support of your cock & bull pronouncements.

Aquitaine social etiquette notwithstanding, the freeway is under no obligation to yield to the ramp, even in the Old World to which you are so well acquainted.