Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    So 99% of my quiver are hard chargers and usually at least 189 or longer (193 Supergoats, 194 Praxis Qs and 196 OG Bodes)... I was at Bach last year for my end of year trip and rode a chair with a guy rocking 181 Sakanas... I had my 189 Wren 108s and we were both eyeing one another skis... Our bsl was close enough and switched skis and had a chance to take several runs on the Sakana... Loved them on the first turn... Absolutely railed turns and was just an absolutle blast to ski... As soon as my shop opened in August I had them order a pair of 181 Sakanas and are now getting mounted...

This ski just baffles me as I never thought I would enjoy something this short and tight of a turn radius... Eric P proved me wrong... If this ski is as fun in shallow POW as it was on spring cream cheese this could probably become one of my travel skis...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    So 99% of my quiver are hard chargers and usually at least 189 or longer (193 Supergoats, 194 Praxis Qs and 196 OG Bodes)... I was at Bach last year for my end of year trip and rode a chair with a guy rocking 181 Sakanas... I had my 189 Wren 108s and we were both eyeing one another skis... Our bsl was close enough and switched skis and had a chance to take several runs on the Sakana... Loved them on the first turn... Absolutely railed turns and was just an absolutle blast to ski... As soon as my shop opened in August I had them order a pair of 181 Sakanas and are now getting mounted...

This ski just baffles me as I never thought I would enjoy something this short and tight of a turn radius... Eric P proved me wrong... If this ski is as fun in shallow POW as it was on spring cream cheese this could probably become one of my travel skis...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Awesome to hear! Everything I've read about them says they're an absolute blast. I went all in for the design and got 174s - seems crazy short to me (6' 180), but because they're part of a quiver, and because I'm skiing smaller hills in the east, I figured I'd go to the extreme. I'm a little worried that I should've gone 181, but we'll see.... Will report back after I've got some time on them.

I keep hearing how intuitive and fun the Pescados are in anything soft. I'd love to try a pair myself, but am more interested in getting my Dad out on a pair. Seems like it could be a great ski for him. I know these were seen as a pretty niche ski when they first came out - has anybody seen them available for demo?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I keep hearing how intuitive and fun the Pescados are in anything soft. I'd love to try a pair myself, but am more interested in getting my Dad out on a pair. Seems like it could be a great ski for him. I know these were seen as a pretty niche ski when they first came out - has anybody seen them available for demo?
    I haven't, but if you come to Utah you can ski mine. BSL around 314. Mounted with tech bindings.

I tested the new Outline this weekend. EP for sure put a lot of Pescado design elements into that ski, especially in the front half. I own a pair of Pescados and I really like them. I change skis often (too often to be honest) in my quiver but the Pescado will be a keeper for years to come for sure. Nevertheless, I always have felt the wish for a smaller Pescado, and with smaller I don´t mean 105mm super carvy Sakana, but something like a 115mm version. The Outline is close to that actually even if that wide tail really feel as a braking device when edging in any soft snow, except really light powder. Still waiting for EP to narrow that tail down some in his skis to get a cleaner feel, but I guess that is why you can choose the Sak/Pesc instead atleast in 105 and 125mm. If you would cut the tail of the Outline and make a swallowtail out of it, that would be pretty close to a 117mm Pescado. For my kind of riding around 115mm is a real sweetspot and I hope that Line will bring out something Pescado-like to the market in this width in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MnO_____ View Post
    I tested the new Outline this weekend. EP for sure put a lot of Pescado design elements into that ski, especially in the front half. I own a pair of Pescados and I really like them. I change skis often (too often to be honest) in my quiver but the Pescado will be a keeper for years to come for sure. Nevertheless, I always have felt the wish for a smaller Pescado, and with smaller I don´t mean 105mm super carvy Sakana, but something like a 115mm version. The Outline is close to that actually even if that wide tail really feel as a braking device when edging in any soft snow, except really light powder. Still waiting for EP to narrow that tail down some in his skis to get a cleaner feel, but I guess that is why you can choose the Sak/Pesc instead atleast in 105 and 125mm. If you would cut the tail of the Outline and make a swallowtail out of it, that would be pretty close to a 117mm Pescado. For my kind of riding around 115mm is a real sweetspot and I hope that Line will bring out something Pescado-like to the market in this width in the future.
    Folsom Powfish is 116 waist and in 184 length. I had them and thought the specs would be more Ideal over pescado when I was shopping the two. Pescado made in China and Folsom by hand in US. Something to consider y’all.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Folsom Powfish is 116 waist and in 184 length. I had them and thought the specs would be more Ideal over pescado when I was shopping the two. Pescado made in China and Folsom by hand in US. Something to consider y’all.
    That ski with shallow revers camber is a for sure a dream ski. But in Euroland, everything US made is pretty much impossible to buy since it is so insanely expensive at the moment. 10 years ago US sporting goods was cheap for us over here and the prize was always about half to what we pay at home. Now it is just crazy and to add to that we also have to pay 25% extra tax AND a 4% toll fee . The Folsom for sure should cost a bit more than asian made skis, but not that much more. I can buy 3,1 pairs of Pescados for the same price as one pair of Folsoms.

Line Pescado mini review

Quote Originally Posted by MnO_____ View Post
    That ski with shallow revers camber is a for sure a dream ski. But in Euroland, everything US made is pretty much impossible to buy since it is so insanely expensive at the moment. 10 years ago US sporting goods was cheap for us over here and the prize was always about half to what we pay at home. Now it is just crazy and to add to that we also have to pay 25% extra tax AND a 4% toll fee . The Folsom for sure should cost a bit more than asian made skis, but not that much more. I can buy 3,1 pairs of Pescados for the same price as one pair of Folsoms.
    Ouch on importing. Yah I get where you’re coming from. Found mine at a discount otherwise hard to justify full pop. Mine had camber. I believe if they were the other version; shallow reverse - they’d still be in my rack. I’ve just come to realize on skis 110ish plus - I like; minimal camber, flat underfoot, reverse camber, or full rocker (on fatties). Just my preference. Will say tho the cambered version ripped groomers.
    I also ski marine mank mostly, so that figures into it.

review: I bought another pair of the same ski only 2 seasons later.
    nuff said :P
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191212_223947.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	628.8 KB 
ID:	305991

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I'ts probably not much help, but just in case, I have seen several pair available from ski rental companies here in Niseko and in Kiroro.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I haven't, but if you come to Utah you can ski mine. BSL around 314. Mounted with tech bindings.
    Thanks man, appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if I get out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    I'ts probably not much help, but just in case, I have seen several pair available from ski rental companies here in Niseko and in Kiroro.
    Not helpful for the primary purpose (getting the old man out on them) but I'll be in that area mid-January, might take the opportunity to do my own research.

Took pescados out this morning for my first time this season, and all I have to say is - the only reason I ever ski any other ski in soft snow is because I forget just how good the pescados are. There's really nothing like them.

So I somehow talked myself into selling my pescados, and replaced them with a set of Folsom Powfish. Why? Because I ski in MT, and don’t often need a ski that’s 125mm underfoot. The powfish looks very similar on paper, but 184, and 116mm underfoot.

I got to ski them in about 2-4 feet of blower today, and while they aren’t as poppy and floaty as the peacado, they seem to be almost exactly what I was after. So if anyone wants a ski in between the pescado and Sakana, the Folsom Powfish is close. A little softer in the tip, and a little more smeary, but still poppy, powerful, and hella fun.

I had a morning on the pescado and I liked them very much. Surprised at how hard they could be pushed.

I can also say the pescados will be a part of the quiver for a long time. I was worried about me being 6' 190lbs and my daily driver being a 189 on3p wren 108. The pescados are so much fun. 2 weeks in japan last year showed how well they do in their element (ie dam good) but crap days in mammoth are just as fun. While not the charger of the wrens you can lay into the shovels and they hold while being able to slash and pop off everything. All in all they are fun in just about all soft conditions

So - took my Pescados out last night because I was touring with some friends who I knew would be a little slower, and I wanted a bit of a "leg day" (pescados + tectons vs my usual, LD90s + helio200's). It's honestly surprising how slashy and loose this ski is; I naturally don't expect it to be able to slash and move the way it does, so it took a lap to get reacquainted with the surfy, playful nature of the ski. Once I got into the rhythm I found myself getting braver and braver, driving them harder and just counting on being able to skid my tails out anytime I got too much speed. So much fun.

The downside, unfortunately, was the south facing exit - turns out, 125mm underfoot skis do not do well with a breakable gross crust. Good practice for "typewriting skiing", I guess.

I pulled out my Pescado's today for Colorado's recent deep storm cycle.

This is truly a mythical ski. So poppy playful and fun, it makes you interact with the mountain in an entirely new way. You need to be agile and light on your feet but the results are incredible. I tend to like 'charger' style skis, Wren 114's in a 189 are my daily ski and I just sold Wildcats because they didn't seem like enough ski in a lot of contexts. Yet somehow, the Pescado doesn't bother me in the least. They wouldn't be my go-to ski for truly big terrain but they are incredibly capable for such a weird shape.

Took them down a line that I had never skied before (after years of looking at it). It was in the low 50 degree range and the snow always peels off between storm cycles. Around 10 feet max width 80ish fee long ending in a 15-20 foot drop that you need to clear pretty far out on over a few rocks/trees/bushes. Pescado's felt nimble and slashy down the first shot and the landing felt solid.

If you don't have a pair, just buy them and get it over with. Do yourself a favor and put something like a shift on there.

The more i ski the pescados the more i like them. Unfortunatly hit a small rock at big sky and completely blew out the sidewall. You can see a big indent on the base of the ski where the core stops and the sidewall starts. Need to see if I can warranty them but if not i need to figure out how to make them last. Such a fun ski but not the most durable for a 190lb guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    The more i ski the pescados the more i like them. Unfortunatly hit a small rock at big sky and completely blew out the sidewall. You can see a big indent on the base of the ski where the core stops and the sidewall starts. Need to see if I can warranty them but if not i need to figure out how to make them last. Such a fun ski but not the most durable for a 190lb guy.
    Just seal it up, and switch feet so that’s the outside edge, then rip them for 3 more seasons.

Climber Joe, have you tried out the new Season Forma ski from EP's new company? At 118 underfoot and 183 long its kind of what you've been after. Its a lot heavier than the Pescado at 2200g, curious if anyone who has been on it can compare it with the Pescado

Line Pescado mini review

Found a sweet deal on some 2020 brand new, old stock Pescados. Always wanted to own some.

Confirming the mount line is -8cm? I’ve also seen -9.75cm somewhere too.

Also, is this a ski that I’m gonna want to f around on pow and slush days in the resort (I ski Whistler/Blackcomb mostly) and occasionally hike Flute with them on my shoulder….so mount with STHs?

Or will I want to do short tours on low aspect stuff….eg Whistler, Baker, Seymour side country stuff…. so mount with Shifts or Tectons?

PS I already own Dynastar Proto 118s and Rustler 11 with Pivots for resort pow days.

Leaning Shifts as I have a near new pair with 110mm brakes…wondering if anyone has the 110mm Shift brakes on the 125mm Pescado?
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-11-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Not sure on the suggested mount but mine are on the line/mark and that seems right to me. I'm not sure I'd mess around with it on this ski.

I'd mount with the Shifts or Tectons if I was you. Heavy, cut up, in-bounds snow can be a chore on them. Not impossible but they are light and can get knocked around. Low aspect untracked pow is really fun on them.

I haven't heard it mentioned but twice now I've had the tail kind of feel catchy when there is a crust on the snow. Might be my technique but it is the Achilles heal for me. Only twice though in over 40 days on mine.

2nd vote for shifts or tectons. Resort for me on these skis is greybird tight tree days or bc trees. Not good in chop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    2nd vote for shifts or tectons. Resort for me on these skis is greybird tight tree days or bc trees. Not good in chop.

Thirdeded. I have tectons on mine.

And ofc they suck in chop. They're a 125mm, 1800g ski with huge shovels (150mm?). How the fuck do you expect them to ski in chop? get a real metal ski for chop.

Line Pescado mini review

Thanks. Ya I’m leaning Shifts on the rec line. Then can ski with my alpine boots on super deep, blower days in resort or hike for low aspect, untracked with pin boots.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-11-2021 at 03:24 PM.