Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My 14/15 196cm Bodacious have a very long, medium height tip rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I'm about your size and have skied the A-Stars. I'm in the camp that doesn't like them--they felt really heavy and dead to me, and didn't slarve nearly as well as the Billy Goats. Plenty of people like the A-Stars, but I think they tend to be heavier or really strong skiers.
    What ski have you liked and at what length? Thanks for relaying your experience.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    QST 118 192
    Unless you think metal matters.
    Generally my answer is "yes", but I think in a pow ski its overkill / unnecessary. Definitely prefer it everywhere else. Won't ski a 90-100mm underfoot ski w/o it.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    What ski have you liked and at what length? Thanks for relaying your experience.
    I love my 186 13/14 Billy Goats, although as mentioned earlier, they aren't especially fun on groomed snow. Nothing scary, there's just not much energy.

I used to ski 184 Bibby Pros, which I preferred to the Billy Goats on groomers, firm snow, and moguls. However, I have other skis for that, and the Billy Goats float better, are way better in Mammoth-style wind affect, and can charge much better through chop. Plus, the Billy Goats are considerably more durable.

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I love my 186 13/14 Billy Goats, Plus, the Billy Goats are considerably more durable.
    Thats why I didnt jump on the Moment PB&J or Meridian on sale on backcountry right now. Good deals, but Id rather just buy an On3p if Im going to spend $500 or more. Moments arent bad, but On3p is a step above in quality and durability.

I cant believe I sold my 191 Billy Goats this past winter. I panicked after my back injury, when in reality Ill be skiing again next season.. more than leaving tahoe, I miss my billy goats. Last year of the 191, the Great White Buffalo.

Id still buy a Moment, but only the Belafonte or the Governor. They ski well enough to forget about the not so great finish on Moment Skis. The bibby and pbj ski well too, however I like On3ps jeffreys/kartel lines better for jib skis.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 04-03-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Another chime in for the ON3P billygoat. Its my go to directional pow ski...like said above, the specs dont seem amazing but once you get them in some softer snow they are to die for. Perfect for the tahoe snow.

WHAT IS A ... ATOMIC ATLAS W/ TAIL ROCKER?
    I think that's exactly what Sage and Dana Flahr were aiming for when they designed all lengths of the Atomic Automatic 117, in response to the shape & width of the 182cm Atlas (which is a significantly narrower shape than the 192cm Atlas).

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    I think that's exactly what Sage and Dana Flahr were aiming for when they designed all lengths of the Atomic Automatic 117, in response to the shape & width of the 182cm Atlas (which is a significantly narrower shape than the 192cm Atlas).

That's what I always thought, but the reviews make the automatic out to be rather wimpy and not so stout for the crud, where as the Atlas doesn't necessarily fall into that category. Its definitely no Bodacious, but not super soft either.

Moment Governor if you like to carve.

On3p Billy Goat if you like to slarve.

No love for the Praxis GPO? Conceptually seems similar, but not sure what reality is?

Anyone want to sell some Governor's?

Definitely seems like you are talking about the Billy Goats. Having said that, there is a minty pair of Bibby Pros in the 190 (gear swap) that would let you power the tips more than the shorter ones you seemed to have tried.

Liberty Variant 113, I ski the 186, can't tell if it is still made? It's like a skinnier, more versatile, more crud-busting ski than my 192 atlas. Doesn't float as well, at 200 lbs I'll begin to sink them at about 18-20''

I've got unmounted 188cm movement super turbo evos. Pm for details.

So now I want the Governor and Bibby's to make love and come out with a Bibby Tip and a Gov underfoot and tail.

I want the Gov to have more tip rocker and basically keep the rest the same. Skiing in the Sierra's when it snows, it dumps, so we deal with >2' of new quite often and for this guy that wants the tip to be more rockered to not dive in the deep. I mounted my Gov's back -1 if I'm remembering right and generally that makes them feel super well balanced and seems like the right spot to me. The Bibby, at least my buddy's version, seems to have more tip rocker than the Gov, and therefore not dive or plane easier than the Gov, even though it is shorter/smaller at 184.

Thoughts on this Bibby/Gov combo? Who makes that ski?

Do you like the tapered tips of govs, or slightly more traditional shaped tips of the bibby? How much firm snow performance are you looking for in a ski this wide?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Billy Goat
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Do you like the tapered tips of govs, or slightly more traditional shaped tips of the bibby? How much firm snow performance are you looking for in a ski this wide?
    Good questions. This is basically a resort pow ski. I want it to be able to ski a groomer back to the lift and still carve / have fun. Both the Gov and Bibby do me fine there. Regarding the tips, I have liked both tapered and non tapered, but to me it seems like I do prefer more tip splay or rocker for this type of ski. I really like the tip of the Atomic Atlas...

I'm going to ride this when there is >6-10" of new as below that I typically ride the QLab.

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

Billy Goat
    That’s where I was headed when I asked how much firm snow performance..

I think the 189 Billy Goats are a little more playful than 190 Bibbys, but as stable as 196 Governors in soft conditions. They lack some firm snow performance compared to the Moments though, but that really only matters it this is a one ski quiver. On soft groomers, the BGs rip. The newer ones get better at carving every year it seems.

You might be a good candidate for Wren 114s. They are not as tapered as Govs, but I’m pretty sure they have more rocker. They will be fast skis for sure.

So now I want the Governor and Bibby's to make love and come out with a Bibby Tip and a Gov underfoot and tail. Thoughts on this Bibby/Gov combo? Who makes that ski?
    I just came in from the shop and was having very similar thoughts except I was thinking -10 mm on all dimensions and a decently light build to make a kick-ass alternative to the ZG 108 for firmer/mixed spring touring conditions. Think ZG but slightly looser and better in those pockets of surprise spring pow. Who makes THIS ski?

Billy Goat
    This has become the “42” of TGR.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Lhasa Fat. Or the more readily available, Lhasa pow 112.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    This has become the “42” of TGR.
    It's just the go to, fail-safe, recommendation now? I feel like all this BG recommending will backfire once in a while, for people who really like traditional edge hold. Governor's and Bibby's definitely carve more than BGs.

I personally really like the feel of RES on firm snow or ice though, significantly more than my Kartels. RES is just more predictable for me, even though it doesn't "hook up" and carve. I am very sensitive to any sort of catchiness in the sidecut, and RES provides a very smooth feel for me. I can just go fast, and not worry about hooking up and going over the handlebars... I don't carve much though, Kartels are better for carving for sure.

I guess I should have used a question mark. There's also the GPO, QST 118, Pinnacle 118, possibly some versions of the Bodascious...
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

New 189 BG is better on groomers. But for a mammoth and Tahoe Ski it’s great in trees and crud. Even old version which I still have in 186 is fine on soft groomers. If you have that Ski it’s cause they got a foot or more. Otherwise Ski your 105.
    Last edited by whyturn; 04-21-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    New BG is better on groomers. But for a mammoth and Tahoe Ski it’s great in trees and crud. Even old version which I still have in 186 is fine on soft groomers. If you have that Ski it’s cause they got a foot or more. Otherwise Ski your 105.
    how new are you speaking?