Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I've been reading too much Blister, but:
    You missed this part:

To recap: the KORE 117 is the stiffest ski in the bunch, and it’s also the lightest ski of the bunch.
    Not only is that wussy garbage, it's bad ski design. For a ski that size to be stable at speed though chop, it needs to weigh at least 10lb, preferably 11lb or so. Making it so light means it's a one dimensional ski that's only good in untracked snow.

Pretty surprising, since I've got about 4 pairs of older Head's in my active quiver and they are all confidence inspiring chargers with a race ski pedigree - very stable at speed, but with an ease of control that's confidence inspiring and a precise, understated feel.

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

Head Monsters cover the other end of the spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Head Monsters cover the other end of the spectrum
    The new monsteurs suck too.

Name:  1mg6iq.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  57.9 KB

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

I have 2016 Head Monster 108s in a 191..

I believe the Monster 98 also comes in a 191.

Level Nine has em in stock, or you can order them from your nearest HEAD dealer

Derp. All that time wasted on a meme.

I like the Monster 98. Closest thing to a Legend Pro I have found, but its 23m turn radius is definitely a bit turnier than the 29m LP was...

Narrowed down to:
    ON3P Billy Goat, 184cm is perfect length and ski sounds pretty fun, groomer performance not great?
    Moment Governer, sounds about right?
    or maybe
    Head A Star (price sure is right, maybe slightly long for this kid combined with not as much rocker as I want in this soft snow oriented ski?
    He who has the most fun wins!

Billy goats ski differently than the governors. Both are very good, the governor is more traditional, but has a shorter turn radius. It is easier to pull across the fall line, however its more locked in.

The billy goat is so good tho, and the newer the model, the better it is on firm. It doesnt want to pull across the fall line, not one bit, however is easier to "shut down" than the governor. Its not "on rails".

I think Billy Goats are better in trees and 3D mank, or bumped out crud and slop. The governors are much better on firm and can carve well for their size. For floating up on top of rocky mountain blower, id give the edge slightly to the Governor, but for maritime slop, BG hands down.

I think you'd like my custom RXs.

I have heard 50/50 positive and negative feedback on the A-Star. Buy cheap, buy twice.

The 191 HEAD Monsters have a 27.5 M radius, I think. Still though, they like to turn more than the name would suggest. Flex and weight, the 191s are the burliest skis on the market. Close to 3000 grams per pair, and planky as all hell. Besides the weight, they ski easier than 191 On3p wrenegades.

On3p wrenegade 113s are the best ever
    Last edited by aevergreene; 03-31-2017 at 10:44 AM.

I'm on the midget Monsters, 184ish?

I do want a smidget of tail rocker and wonder if you custom RX's are bit long given there is no tail rocker and modest tip rocker. I'm only 5'9" and 160. For perspective I like the 184ish Monster and midget Qlab so not looking at a nearly 190cm ski.

Good thoughts though, thanks. I'm also skiing maritime, but generally prefer a more traditional feeling ski... Anyone got any Governers or BG's for sale?

I have 2016 Head Monster 108s in a 191..

I believe the Monster 98 also comes in a 191.

Level Nine has em in stock, or you can order them from your nearest HEAD dealer

Derp. All that time wasted on a meme.
    They weren't around in a 191cm last year. Maybe it's new this year.

They still suck.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 03-31-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    It's only the 108 that comes in 191, and it wasn't released til later.
    Wrong again. The 98 definitely comes in a 191. They did this past season, and next season. Its all over the web, a quick google might help you out.. I bought mine last summer

These skis require more energy, more than any other ski I have tried, to ski all day. The weight starts to get you after about 3 hours. I powerlift, and these MFers are a workout!!

They do not suck, they are phenomenal skis..although somewhat one dimensional.

Wrong again. The 98 definitely comes in a 191. They did this past season, and next season. Its all over the web, a quick google might help you out.. I bought mine last summer

These skis require more energy, more than any other ski I have tried, to ski all day. The weight starts to get you after about 3 hours. I powerlift, and these MFers are a workout!!

They do not suck, they are phenomenal skis..although somewhat one dimensional.
    Oh?

But since most of the ~108mm-wide skis we’ve reviewed are in the 185 – 190 cm length range, there was no question for us that we wanted to review the 184 cm Monster 108 – the longest length it comes in.

Head was pretty nervous about this, insisting that the 184 is a lot of ski. So we’ve actually been spending time on both the 177 and the 184 cm Monster 108—A/B-ing the ski in these two lengths, which has been quite beneficial. And I’ll say more about the two lengths below and in my follow up “Deep Dive Comparisons” article.
    http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...-monster-108/2

I'm on my FOURTH pair of 186cm MONSTER IM88's, and own 3 pairs of Head 191's. When the new monster line came out, I looked at them in detail and saw NO 191's - this was the 15/16 models. Their marketing copy was also very unclear about if they had metal or not, it appeared they didn't.

IMHO 191cm were added in for 16/17.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 03-31-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Hmm, ya a quick google on my part shows they are harder to find now.. my b. Last august Google was a bit more helpful for me. Weird, now I only can find them in Oztralia. Glad I bought them when I could. Level nine had them right on their drop down menu, like any in stock ski. One of my favorite shops..

Still, theyve been on HEADs website for a while.

The current Monstar 98's do have metal. I actually think its a better ski than the old IM88's. At least I would take my 184cm over the 186cm IM88's. More damp, smoother. A bit turnier with more sidecut, but a great ski. That is for '15/16 and 16/17. Don't know about next years.

Head lists a 191cm Monster 98 and 108 on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    The current Monstar 98's do have metal. I actually think its a better ski than the old IM88's. At least I would take my 184cm over the 186cm IM88's. More damp, smoother. A bit turnier with more sidecut, but a great ski. That is for '15/16 and 16/17. Don't know about next years.

Head lists a 191cm Monster 98 and 108 on their website.
    How fresh are your monster 98s? What bindings on them? Trade for my RXs?..

I need a short, thin ski for slower days with the folks, but one that can still speed up when I get a lap or two by myself.

Not selling the Monsters

They are my everyday ski for when it hasn't snowed in a while. First thing I have found that is close to old skool Legend Pro's. I do have a good shape pair of those and/or potentially a Stockli Stormrider 95 from a few years ago that is also in great shape.
    Last edited by comish; 03-31-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Not selling the Monsters
    Neither would I. Im never selling mine.

ala 115mm underfoot, a bit more rocker, tip and tail, than the Qlab, but definitely a bit less tail rocker/twin tip than the Blister Pro. Like damp, smooth skis (think old skool Legend Pro, Head Monster 98, Stormriders). Don't do flippy spiny sh*t so just a turned up tail and some subtle tail rocker to loosen them up from my current pow ski the Atomic Atlas is the goal.
    14/15 or 17/18 Blizzard Bodacious

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    14/15 or 17/18 Blizzard Bodacious
    Agreed. I have both and as a "wider Q-Lab" they are on the money. 14/15 version has 1cm more tip rocker and 1cm less tail rocker than next year's ski.

Nordica Enforcer Pro (17/18), checks almost all the boxes
    115mm wide, 21.5m R, still has usable tail rocker.

QST 118 192
    Unless you think metal matters.
    I went Head M103s to Atlas to proto full metal Auto117s to Q LAB and now the QST 118. Never looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Agreed. I have both and as a "wider Q-Lab" they are on the money. 14/15 version has 1cm more tip rocker and 1cm less tail rocker than next year's ski.
    Huh? Rumors were next year Bode is exactly like 14/15 version with the stiffness of the first year production version which should be somewhere around the 14/15 version as well as Blizzard consecutively stiffened the ski and went back 15% on the last model then. At least that's what I heard. I had already next years version in the hands and didn't notice any changes in the rocker profile compared to my green-yellow 14/15 Bodes.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Huh? Rumors were next year Bode is exactly like 14/15 version with the stiffness of the first year production version which should be somewhere around the 14/15 version as well as Blizzard consecutively stiffened the ski and went back 15% on the last model then. At least that's what I heard. I had already next years version in the hands and didn't notice any changes in the rocker profile compared to my green-yellow 14/15 Bodes.
    They are sitting right next to each other on my wall; the 2018 black version has 1cm less tip rocker and 1cm more tail rocker.

I had 1st years Bodacious. Loved the "feel". Smooth, damp, solid. My pair had next to zero rocker, tip or tail. Zero tail, and almost zero tip. Dang things didn't float in the slightly heavier Sierra snow or even the deep Austrian Pow I had them in. Would have mounted them back a bunch, but went to Atlas and enjoyed it more with its significantly bigger tip rocker.

My QLabs have way more rocker than my Bodacious... Maybe mine were a 1st years runt

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    They are sitting right next to each other on my wall; the 2018 black version has 1cm less tip rocker and 1cm more tail rocker.
    OK, just measured - 1 cm less tip rocker on the 2018 version, .5cm more tail rocker (total height per ski).

You really need to try the Moment Governor. It's exactly what you are describing.

I still regret selling mine.

I'm about your size and have skied the A-Stars. I'm in the camp that doesn't like them--they felt really heavy and dead to me, and didn't slarve nearly as well as the Billy Goats. Plenty of people like the A-Stars, but I think they tend to be heavier or really strong skiers.