Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

True Detective S3

Rumors of a Deadwood movie and Milch on board for TD season 3.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-3-david-milch

It boils down to the writers. No actor or actress out there could have made season two worth a shit.

Seems risky and desperate; not holding breath - too many possible weenies in the warp drive.

I swear they truck out Milch to get people's hopes up these days. I've liked everything he's done - including John from Cincy - but I hold no hope it'll ever happen, or if it does, they'll stick with it.

Deadwood movie seems unrealistic at this point, but it would be nice to hear Al Swearengen again. “Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh.”

TD with some Milch dialogue sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    It boils down to the writers. No actor or actress out there could have made season two worth a shit.
    Writer. Pizzolato was basically a one-man show, wasn't he? Also, he had 3+ years to put the first season together, and only a year for season two. He either needs to give up some control, or fans need to be willing to wait a while between seasons. The latter seems like a bad option since he probably lost a lot of people with season 2.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If they bring back Harrelson's girlfriend from season 1 I'll watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Writer. Pizzolato was basically a one-man show, wasn't he? Also, he had 3+ years to put the first season together, and only a year for season two. He either needs to give up some control, or fans need to be willing to wait a while between seasons. The latter seems like a bad option since he probably lost a lot of people with season 2.
    With season one being really good, I think it is worth waiting for a long time for season 3 than to again watch something like season 2.

Back to the same well as season one though perhaps with a smaller bucket.; Pizzolato returning to what worked in season one. Doesn't have the sprawling plot and clutter of improbable characters that choked the life out of S2. Much leaner feel with only one POV character. Time is still a flat circle. Seems alright so far.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Season half over and still no one else watching? Ok, I get it. Nobody who wasted 8 hours of their life on S2 wants to get suckered in again.

So far, so good, imo, but it's no return to greatness.

Pros: Good actors and good performances. The underlying police procedural is interesting enough. The show's sense of time and place is well done.

Cons: Pizzolato plays hide the ball with the audience too often. If you want a guessing game, Pizzolato has one for you. If you do not want a guessing game, if you will tire of characters obliquely referencing key facts and events without actually giving you the facts, then this show's central narrative device probably will annoy you. Makes a whodunnit into a guesswhatwillberevealedlater.

Visually, its not Cary Fukunaga. It's not bad but S3 just reinforces how key Fukunaga was to the huge success of S1. The choice to shoot in the Ozarks in the winter was a mistake. The color pallet of tree trunks and dead leaves and the flat seasonal light doesn't give much to work with. The interior shots are kind of repetitive. Nothing really pops visually like S1 did. Visually, S1 and S2 were far, far more ambitious than this. Sort of in keeping with S3's strip it down ethic, I guess.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 01-28-2019 at 07:56 PM.

I'm really into S3. S1 was among the best seasons of cop dramas ever, S2 was a huge let down but I'm fully invested in S3.

Agree it's not as well shot as S1, but still offers the some of the same ominous visuals that S1 did. I like the seedy, dirty feeling of the suspects and fucked-up-ness of the racist deep south in 80s-90s.

I also like how the writing keeps you guessing - I've got several different theories about who did it and the pool of suspects gets deep every episode.

The lead character, Hays, is brilliant - quiet, stoic and fits the role of a hardened, Vietnam vet cop perfectly. I find it interesting how much S1 focused so much on the McConaughey-Harrelson relationship but this season it just getting into personal stuff about Hays and barely anything about his partner. Hays seems to be only character they will really develop.

Regardless, it's damn good TV and I'll be totally sucked into the last half of the season.

I'm really into S3 as well. Not S1, but way better than S2.

I like the feel of the cinematography, it's complimentary, not over done.

I could use one more character being developed.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Name:  True-Detective-season-3-1722643.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  screen-shot-2019-02-05-at-11.16.48-pm.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.6 KB

Guess they went back to S1 in more ways than just structure.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Name:  True-Detective-season-3-1722643.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  screen-shot-2019-02-05-at-11.16.48-pm.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.6 KB

Guess they went back to S1 in more ways than just structure.
    HOLEE SHIT.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Maybe it's just me but Haze' partner, he IS the fuckin show. actor and character. I replayed the scene a couple of times for sheer awesomeness of delivery.

"I'm FINE. out here. alone.
    I got no wife. No kids. and no old friends.
    and that means I GET TO DRINK EXACTLY HOWEVER MUCH I WANT TO"
    "Can't you see..."

Yeah, Dorff is stealing entire scenes. No doubt he will be getting a career resurrection from this.

Pretty good overall. Sometimes a bit too slow but it's picking up.

Man that Indian can run. I rewound and watched him booking it 3 times. Killer scene.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

So how intense is S3? I really do not like to watch stuff that portrays the South. Just to much weird and creepy ass shit that goes with racism. This from a guy that has no issues with gratuitous violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Intense isnt at all how I would describe it. It's a nice slow burn. Well worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Yeah, Dorff is stealing entire scenes. No doubt he will be getting a career resurrection from this.
    He's going to win an Emmy for sure...

Really starting to lose interest in it. HBO seems to think if you stack a bunch of timelines on top of each other and make a show kinda hard to follow, that somehow makes it good.

I think it’s just going from good to great, I must have a different brand of ADD than you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

With GR on this one. S3E7 was pretty outstanding.

Def. takes some cliff notes to catch everything, and muliple watchings. That's what I like about it, very challenging. if you want to get stoned and not think it ain't for you.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    With GR on this one. S3E7 was pretty outstanding.
    Agree!!!