Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    right at the lights, straight on till night
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabe View Post
    Yep, in North Van. Mounted the 2018/19 CAST setup on 3 setups. What you wanna know?
    thanks! just curious if you mounted them yourself or had a shop do it.. tryna figure out what my options are in the sea to sky to get them mounted right by someone that has experience with cast..
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    thanks! just curious if you mounted them yourself or had a shop do it.. tryna figure out what my options are in the sea to sky to get them mounted right by someone that has experience with cast..
    I did all 3 mounts myself. If you're able to get them drilled for FKS/Pivots (whether you do it yourself or at a shop), its all the same holes and only +2 holes/ski for the brake retainer/climbing riser assembly.

When I did it, I made sure everything lined up for Pivots, mounted the toes hardware and Pivot heels first and then measured and drilled the two extra holes last. If you wanna stop by when you are on the North Shore, I'm happy to help. If not, Duncan @ the North Van Comor is a boss. He'll get you hooked up if you need.

-Travis.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabe View Post
    I did all 3 mounts myself. If you're able to get them drilled for FKS/Pivots (whether you do it yourself or at a shop), its all the same holes and only +2 holes/ski for the brake retainer/climbing riser assembly.

When I did it, I made sure everything lined up for Pivots, mounted the toes hardware and Pivot heels first and then measured and drilled the two extra holes last. If you wanna stop by when you are on the North Shore, I'm happy to help. If not, Duncan @ the North Van Comor is a boss. He'll get you hooked up if you need.

-Travis.
    hey thanks Travis!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

I'll definitely be in minority but I had bad experience with Cast 2.0. Alpine toe works flawlessly, sits tightly, no play at all. While I had absolutely no problems with alpine mode, touring was a torment. First thing that fked me was inserts - I have almost all my skis mounted with BF inserts. As you know it's really hard to mount inserts precisely, for me there's always a little 0.5-1mm miss here and there. I found that miss very punishing with CAST setup. Somehow when screws were gently tighten, screw shoulders were overtighten and cast toes were not slipping in easily. Other thing that happened to me was touring toe getting stuck to screw shoulders when temperature dropped below 20F. That happened at least 3 or 4 times during one trip and I was more than puzzled with this. It looked like toe piece was superglued to screws and I literally had to kick it off with boots trying to unlock the toe at the same time. I also found that toe lock not that great. Several times it iced and I had to spend several minutes in cold trying to de-ice this small thing. And one last thing - I don't know if they improved this in purple toe version, but step-in and toe lockout was awful in grey one. Maybe this issue is somehow related to my Tecnica Zero Gs but I had few slippery falls on icy skin track and completely locked toe wasn't able to hold on the boot, leading to ski loss.

With inserts you’re going to have some issues as the system needs to slack to setup correctly. And the purple toes also fixed the issues from the grey ones

Anyone set on using inserts could have a machine shop drill the 1/4" toe holes so they'd be positioned perfectly, they'd probably want $50 or so. If they use an end mill, they could "erase" existing ski screw holes. A vertical mill is substantially more accurate than a jig and a hand drill.

They just have to be careful to not crush the ski in the vise, and shim one end of the vise equally if the ski has a lot of sidecut to make sure it's clamped squarely.

Hey folks, just an update here since there's been some previous discussion on it. We are now offering a specific fixed GripWalk AFD for this season. They are in stock on the site. cheers

As far as inserts go, we usually recommend(and use) heli coils. They tend to be much less prone to failure than QK/BF inserts but that's just our preference.

Anyone know if the Freetour Upgrade Second Ski Kit for $100 is a pair of parts, or just enough to do one ski? Must be a pair, but the photos only show parts for one ski.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone know if the Freetour Upgrade Second Ski Kit for $100 is a pair of parts, or just enough to do one ski? Must be a pair, but the photos only show parts for one ski.
    It's a pair.

And awesome on the gripwalk AFDs! Gonna pick up a set.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

Anyone have input on how to swap the new GripWalk AFD on some older WTR AFD Look P18s (with the CAST toe)? I ordered a set from CAST, and it appears that I have to drill out a rivet on the old WTR plate (on the CAST toe). If that’s the case, how do I secure the new GW AFD (...to the CAST toe)?
    Thought I’d ask before screwing these up with a drill.
    Thanks
    Last edited by WestCoast; 08-26-2019 at 07:38 PM.

are you swapping the AFD on the CAST toe or a Look toe?

Good catch. The CAST toe.

If it's this design, you need to talk to Look.

Nope. It’s the latest CAST system with the purple tech toes.

Jong question here...
    Does the upgrade kit work with any pivot 18s toes or are they cast specific?

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

the current kit ONLY works with pivot 18 toes. you have to replace the toe pedestal with the CAST replacement that is compatible with the studs that are mounted to the ski.

https://casttouring.com/pages/freeto...e-instructions

Never mind. It was an Alan screw after all. It had some dirt in it and in the shitty light I mistook it for a rivet. Feel like a dumbass. Please disregard.
    Changes out in 30 seconds...fml.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    the current kit ONLY works with pivot 18 toes. you have to replace the toe pedestal with the CAST replacement that is compatible with the studs that are mounted to the ski.

https://casttouring.com/pages/freeto...e-instructions
    Thank you

Website says "sold out" of toe mods for boots. Is this something they stopped doing or something they will resume later. Would like to know so that if I can't send them my boots I can start looking for a new pair with tech fittings.

Did you try to contact them? They have been very responsive via email in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Website says "sold out" of toe mods for boots. Is this something they stopped doing or something they will resume later. Would like to know so that if I can't send them my boots I can start looking for a new pair with tech fittings.

I believe Lars Is trying to get away from boot mods because so many companies make good boots with tech toes and walk modes. If you want to convert and older boot, email or call Lars, he might be able to help/point you in the correct direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

I emailed them a couple weeks back, they are waiting for more tech fittings. Hopefully early October. They said the product will go back up for sale when the pieces arrive.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

We will have parts in 1st week of October and will be doing conversions starting the 15th, we should have our new website updated within the next few weeks to accept orders. 

Feel free to pass this along to TGR community, we have a hard time keeping up with everything going on there. 

Thanks,

Lars

PSA they dropped the price to ~$350 for a new setup.

I’m going to pounce on a pair. Been needing to mount my Lhasas.

Anyone know if you can order the already modded bindings through them, or have to send in your own?