Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    I'm back to looking at these.

Where are we with this + Gripwalk?

I'm guessing full touring soles (ie. next yr's Hoji Free) is a no-go?
    I’m not sure but curious as well. Looks like some in the thread are using the p18 with the toe touring mode(wtr?). Regular p18 toe works with my lupo ti so I’d imagine the hoji pro would be ok in the wtr toe. All guessing and I think that toe is designated wtr

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Did you get an answer?
    I didn't reach out yet. Not too high on my to-do list as I've got some other expenses that came up so I'll have to hold off on a CAST purchase.

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

Moved to other thread.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 02-04-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Hey 2FUNKY - you might want to check the threads that talk about the original CAST systems.

edit
    Here you go.
    /edit

Ok thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Cast noob. Looking at getting sth cast system. My question is, does the cast system use the same mount holes as the sth toe and heel? Reason I ask is the cast system probably won’t be here this week and I want to ski the skis it is going on. Can I just mount the sth and ski them, remove them when the cast system arrives and then mount the cast in the old sth holes?
    As long as your bindings are the same as the system you’re good. Sth and sth2 are different pattern. For example, a cast system for sth will use the same pattern as sth so just take your bindings off and mount the system when you get it with the supplied screws and plates. Like wise for the sth2. They’re just not cross compatible

Ok thanks.
    I'm guessing you got a line on an earlier generation for STH, 'coz the last two years were only for Pivots (https://casttouring.com/collections/freetour-bindings).

For the Pivots, you use the same hole pattern. Take note that you can't use QK / Binding Freedom inserts on the toes. I believe the shoulder screws go directly into the ski. The Cast guys do use helicoils however (works with standard binding screw pitch).

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    ... Where are we with this + Gripwalk?
    I'd guess that they'll eventually come out with any AFD you need - looks like only a pad thickness change (https://casttouring.com/collections/freetour-parts).

Every time I read about Gripwalk I get confused. At one point, I thought the boot's AFD area had a rebate to net the height out to the same as alpine boots. Now, I'm not so sure. It might have to do with the width of the rebate vs. the alpine specification for AFD width.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm guessing you got a line on an earlier generation for STH, 'coz the last two years were only for Pivots (https://casttouring.com/collections/freetour-bindings).

For the Pivots, you use the same hole pattern. Take note that you can't use QK / Binding Freedom inserts on the toes. I believe the shoulder screws go directly into the ski. The Cast guys do use helicoils however (works with standard binding screw pitch).

I'd guess that they'll eventually come out with any AFD you need - looks like only a pad thickness change (the whole Grip Walk thing confuses me to this day).

... Thom
    Good to know. I thought they were using inserts. Not sure how many times I’d want to remove and reinstall them . Doesn’t seem to bad of a price to buy the additional plate option they have.
    New system seems like it’d be perfection. After some slight filing to my version 1 plates they worked like a charm until one time i left them in my truck overnight clogged with snow. After 150ish days just skiing around the hill on my daily driver gpo the sth toeplate has some slop. The plate for the dynafit toe, despite only 30ish days of touring, have more slop. The dynafit toe plate is considerably shorter than the sth toe plate so it has prematurely worn. It shouldve been the same length as the resepticle plate, like the sth toe plate. I considered just making a plate out of a thicker piece of aluminium without the inserts.itd be a few mm higher but no big deal for slackcountry. They still ski fine despite a little rattle with the sth toe in but I just want the new system. New system seems to address any issue. My change overs became pretty efficient after a few days and it’s nice to not even think about them being there on the daily driver until you want to go for a walk

It really looks as if they have it dialed in.

As far as Gripwalk is concerned, the site is clear as mud about boot compatibility: https://www.grip-walk.com/faq/

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's geared toward selling new bindings and boots.

The odd thing is that Gripwalk certified bindings work with ISO 5355 boots with no adjustment, but non-Gripwalk ISO 5355 bindings won't work with Gripwalk soles. WTF?

One thing I noticed in their parts link (above) is that the new shoulder screws for the toes are a two-part assembly - the bushing and the screw. If you got creative, I'll bet you could fit an M5 screw in there. You'd probably need to fashion an inner bushing, and with their second ski kit running $100, it's probably not something worth doing.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

It really looks as if they have it dialed in.

As far as Gripwalk is concerned, the site is clear as mud about boot compatibility: https://www.grip-walk.com/faq/

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's geared toward selling new bindings and boots.

The odd thing is that Gripwalk certified bindings work with ISO 5355 boots with no adjustment, but non-Gripwalk ISO 5355 bindings won't work with Gripwalk soles. WTF?

One thing I noticed in their parts link (above) is that the new shoulder screws for the toes are a two-part assembly - the bushing and the screw. If you got creative, I'll bet you could fit an M5 screw in there. You'd probably need to fashion an inner bushing, and with their second ski kit running $100, it's probably not something worth doing.

... Thom
    Yes I vaguely remember several posts on both queries. Both clear as mud. Figure it out when I make the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    As long as your bindings are the same as the system you’re good. Sth and sth2 are different pattern. For example, a cast system for sth will use the same pattern as sth so just take your bindings off and mount the system when you get it with the supplied screws and plates. Like wise for the sth2. They’re just not cross compatible
    Thanks man. I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to be sure. I fully understand that sth and sth2 have different mount patterns.

Thanks man. I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to be sure. I fully understand that sth and sth2 have different mount patterns.
    No probs. Solly’s seemed to work well with the original system

If you don't mind assembling your own screw kit, you can convert the CAST STH2 kit to STH by double-drilling the heel spacer. Don't think it would work as well double-drilling the STH spacer.

Double-drilled STH2 spacer on left, STH spacer on right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cast-spacers.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	268190  

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    If you don't mind assembling your own screw kit (longer M6 screws for STH2 toe to slider, and longer binding heel to ski screws), you can convert the CAST STH2 kit to STH by double-drilling the heel spacer.

Double-drilled STH2 spacer on left, STH spacer on right.
    Something to keep in mind. I think sth and sth2 toes are the same pattern? Wonder if the dynafit toe plates are cross compatible to sth/sth2 cast toe receptacle?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Something to keep in mind. I think sth and sth2 toes are the same pattern? Wonder if the dynafit toe plates are cross compatible to sth/sth2 cast toe receptacle?
    Yes, the all CAST toe components for STH and STH2 are the same, except for the M6 screws that attached the Salomon toe to the slider (screws for STH2 are longer). The Dynafit plates and screws are the same.

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Yes, the all CAST toe components for STH and STH2 are the same, except for the M6 screws that attached the Salomon toe to the slider (screws for STH2 are longer). The Dynafit plates and screws are the same.
    K cool thanks. That’ll give me options if I want to just do a cheap refresh on my cast/Sth if some pop up when I have some flow

... Thom
    If you had inserts, you wouldn't need a second ski kit though. I have a set of extra shoulder screws shipping, as I want to try a couple ideas. Currently I have my heels and risers mounted on inserts, then I have a toe plate and shoulder screws to mount on a second ski. Second ski kit = $28 in my world. If I can figure out a good solution for inserts and shoulder screws it is even cheaper, and I get back some of the advantages of inserts, ie flat pack for several pairs of skis, almost zero binding cost to add skis to the quiver, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I didn't reach out yet. Not too high on my to-do list as I've got some other expenses that came up so I'll have to hold off on a CAST purchase.
    Heard back from them today. FKS race 185s are good. Probably 155s as well, same construction AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Heard back from them today. FKS race 185s are good. Probably 155s as well, same construction AFAIK
    That's what I figured but ya never know. Glad to hear it.

Seems like a CAST set up for next year is a go with those bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    If you had inserts, you wouldn't need a second ski kit though. I have a set of extra shoulder screws shipping, as I want to try a couple ideas. Currently I have my heels and risers mounted on inserts, then I have a toe plate and shoulder screws to mount on a second ski. Second ski kit = $28 in my world. If I can figure out a good solution for inserts and shoulder screws it is even cheaper, and I get back some of the advantages of inserts, ie flat pack for several pairs of skis, almost zero binding cost to add skis to the quiver, etc.
    Agreed. The only potential task is that I'll bet you'd need to fabricate a bushing to take up the diameter difference between am M5 and 12AB screw.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design

Looks like Reine Barkered is trying out CAST for his touring setup.

His insta story made it seem like he enjoyed it.

Has anyone ever had the toe fall out in a crash? I'm becoming paranoid I will lose them in powder.

Quote Originally Posted by TimersMix View Post
    Has anyone ever had the toe fall out in a crash? I'm becoming paranoid I will lose them in powder.
    Well, Heitz is having a Q&A on his instagram as is Reine so you could ask one of them.

Given that Reine and a few others compete on the FWT with their setups, I don't think it's a common occurrence or concern.

Anyone have a freetour kit they’d like to sell?

Or do you have a freetour setup you aren’t using and I can order you one from cast and you send me your current pair and when cast ships you get a new set?

I’m thinking I’d like the freetour over the older cast setup I have.

I’m worried about their March 1st ship date being accurate. I would like these for BBI Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Great to ski the CAST on Protests at KW today. Just bomber.

May get the opportunity to explore out of bounds when the snow heals. That will be the first real test.