Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Quick update on this. I took the bindings to the shop, and we tried several different CAST tech toes from previous production runs; these worked fine. After further investigation we concluded that the metal latch that slots behind the front pillars was getting caught and preventing the tech toe from fully reclining and engaging, with a tap to knock it back it worked properly. Likely a machining error I guess, but still not ideal; a lot of money spent and I now have a chewed up tech toe from hammer hits (the metal on these is surprisingly soft).
    Glad you got it figured out. Email or call the team at Cast. I've had great support from them in my interactions.

I like the idea of the system, but this iteration is just too damn finicky. They are engineers, improving designs is part of the game. The next design (if there is one) should have the main goal of increasing ease of installation and less reliance on extremely tight tolerances.

Does anyone know why they strayed from the original design? Having extensively used the OG version, I’m guessing it was a combination of weight saving, plates bending, and maybe getting away from the reliance on dynafit toes. Would be interested to hear if someone else has more insight.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I like the idea of the system, but this iteration is just too damn finicky. They are engineers, improving designs is part of the game. The next design (if there is one) should have the main goal of increasing ease of installation and less reliance on extremely tight tolerances.
    For whatever it's worth, I find this iteration to be pretty fussy for the first 3-4 days I use it. But then everything kinda beds in a bit and the fussiness goes away. After that, change-overs are quick and smooth.

Which isn't to say that there's not room for improvement. But I think a lot of people do the mount, see that things are tight and the swaps aren't super smooth, and they just kinda throw up their hands. But if you just deal with that fussiness for a little bit, everything gets better.

Stoked about getting on the CAST system. Put them on two skis I plan to mostly be inbounds but sidecountry/shorter pow laps capable. Especially happy about these after I lost my previous powder ski to a Shift pre-release.

Name:  castlife.jpg
Views: 3005
Size:  138.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    .... I lost my previous powder ski to a Shift pre-release.
    Congrats on the move to CAST.
    You are not the first to tell this tale.

I was literally going to remount them the following day w/ the Pivots/CAST second ski kit I had gotten but a powder day won me over using the Shifts one last time.

So from what I'm reading there are different AFDs for GW vs. alpine soles. Does this mean if I want to ski my CASTed skis with both alpine soled resort boots and GW-soled touring boots I would need to swap AFDs? And for that matter, why is there even an alpine-only AFD if these are for touring?

Edit: Ah, answering my second question I see they do tech inserts conversions on alpine boots so that would be the reason for the alpine sole.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    So from what I'm reading there are different AFDs for GW vs. alpine soles. Does this mean if I want to ski my CASTed skis with both alpine soled resort boots and GW-soled touring boots I would need to swap AFDs? And for that matter, why is there even an alpine-only AFD if these are for touring?

Edit: Ah, answering my second question I see they do tech inserts conversions on alpine boots so that would be the reason for the alpine sole.
    You might not have to swap. Didn’t look recently say GW afd’s will work with both alpine and gw soles? If you do need to swap, it’s a single screw per toe piece on cast.

Also, you can buy alpine soles for a lot of hybrid boots if you want to risk your life in icy parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    You might not have to swap. Didn’t look recently say GW afd’s will work with both alpine and gw soles? If you do need to swap, it’s a single screw per toe piece on cast.

Also, you can buy alpine soles for a lot of hybrid boots if you want to risk your life in icy parking lots.

From the Cast website:

GripWalk compatible AFDs will fit all boots with GripWalk soles. Due to the limited overlap between Alpine and GripWalk geometry, we chose to design these AFDS to create maximum energy transfer and more consistent function specifically for the GripWalk norm, as a result, they will not work with Alpine boots.

The other option would be to get GW soles for my inbounds boots if they're available. Install those and call it a day.

Yeah, you'll need to swap AFDs. But it takes 30 seconds.

Response from CAST support:

If you are using the binding system with two different boot soles you will need to swap AFD's for what boot you want to use for the day. I have attached a link to our how to page. At the bottom there is a video on how to swap the AFD's. In my opinion it is very easy and takes me about 3 minutes to change a pair of AFD's. Let me know if you have any other questions?

https://casttouring.com/pages/how-the-freetour-works

From the Cast website:

GripWalk compatible AFDs will fit all boots with GripWalk soles. Due to the limited overlap between Alpine and GripWalk geometry, we chose to design these AFDS to create maximum energy transfer and more consistent function specifically for the GripWalk norm, as a result, they will not work with Alpine boots.

The other option would be to get GW soles for my inbounds boots if they're available. Install those and call it a day.
    Interesting. I figured they’d use the same exact geometry as look, but maybe not. Either way, it’s super easy to swap AFDs. I think the support guy is being generous saying 3 mins, it’s very fast.

And for that matter, why is there even an alpine-only AFD if these are for touring?
    Because GW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by beeeom View Post
    Because GW sucks.
    QFT

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

??

what's with the GW hate? I've never had any issues.

but for goolick asking - get two sets of CAST for two different skis. Mount one toe set with GW and the other with Alpine AFD's and you're set. just grab the ones you need for the day.
    or yeah... much easier just to put GW soles on your alpine boots.

Was there ever any issue with the CAST system on a new mount or was the misaligned mainly around remounts? Or both? I'm grabbing a set to mount on some wildcats (I think, haven't decided on a ski yet). I'll most likely get the local shop to me (Skiers Sport Shop in Edmonton) to mount them as I am in fact, retarded.

Also going to need new boots lol. This fuckin forums makes me spend more money on shit I don't need than any other. Probably look at the new FT/K2 SC Diverge. Rereading this, holy fuck I'm a gaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Was there ever any issue with the CAST system on a new mount or was the misaligned mainly around remounts? Or both? I'm grabbing a set to mount on some wildcats (I think, haven't decided on a ski yet). I'll most likely get the local shop to me (Skiers Sport Shop in Edmonton) to mount them as I am in fact, retarded.

Also going to need new boots lol. This fuckin forums makes me spend more money on shit I don't need than any other. Probably look at the new FT/K2 SC Diverge. Rereading this, holy fuck I'm a gaper.
    Skiers is legit, I had two skis castified there, they did a good job, no issues with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy30 View Post
    Skiers is legit, I had two skis castified there, they did a good job, no issues with mine.
    I think the preferred verb should be cast-rated.

Anyone used crampons with those? I tried attaching a kingpin crampon (which supposedly has the same bar size as dynafit) and it's a bit wobbly in the mounting slot. Because CAST pin toe has no springy piece that indexes into a crampon bar's centering notch, the crampon moves side to side easily - I wonder if it can move too far sideways when side-hilling and get stuck...
    oh shit here comes the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by duboix View Post
    Anyone used crampons with those? I tried attaching a kingpin crampon (which supposedly has the same bar size as dynafit) and it's a bit wobbly in the mounting slot. Because CAST pin toe has no springy piece that indexes into a crampon bar's centering notch, the crampon moves side to side easily - I wonder if it can move too far sideways when side-hilling and get stuck...
    Not field tested yet (mounted last month), but here's another data point ...

My ATK crampons slide easily into my CAST toe, but they slide left/right freely when the angle is less than 90 degrees to the ski.

In contrast, when used with my ATK bindings, these crampons center/lock in place when the angle to the ski is less than 90 degrees.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-08-2022 at 03:14 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

https://instagram.com/stories/castto...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

That’s dope. Super stoked to see that level of growth.

Not on the gram. Anyone want to provide details?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Not on the gram. Anyone want to provide details?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    They bought a fancy new plastic injection molding machine

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nng...w?usp=drivesdk

^ I added a centerline and a forward heel screw line to the CAST heel riser/brake retainer template to help locate these two holes accurately. You could also do this on the template they send with a ruler and pencil--that would still be more accurate than just trying to line the template up over existing holes. As always, confirm scale after printing and tips go to the left...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk