Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback on these now that they are out in the wild.

I've had mine mounted and skied them for a bit now. Impressions - basically awesome except for one kind of biggish problem. I have not had a chance to tour on them yet though, due to the problem...

On my 3rd run, I went straight over the handlebars and released from one ski. No issue there, it all felt good, and it should have released. Later that day, I noticed that one of the AFDs was missing. I guessed that somehow the AFD had come off when the ski came off my foot. Went to look and could not find it. At this point I have switched back to the Alpine AFD, as I am missing one of my WTR AFDs. That is why I have not been able to take the rig for a walk yet.

After a bit of thinking and playing around, and I came to the conclusion that the toe of the boot had knocked the AFD out of it's clip as I rotated forwards. It is easy to replicate this with the boot on your foot, or in your hands. Since then I have had it happen twice when I stepped out of the binding at the bottom of a run. Luckily I have been watching for the issue, and did not lose the part either time.

At this point, I am being hyper aware of how I remove my boot from the binding when stepping out. Also crossing fingers that I don't go over the bars again. Lars has sent me some spare parts, and is apparently working on a solution for the next production run. I don't want to talk down the product for hopefully fixable problem, mostly just want people to be aware and hopefully prevent a few lost AFDs.

I have considered drilling and tapping a small bolt hole into the base plate just ahead of the clip and running in a bolt that would hold a washer down over the edge of the clip and hopefully prevent it form being able to lift and release. A little bit of Vibratite should keep it from backing out, and while it would now require a tool to change the AFD, that would not be an issue for me, as I don't see that being something I will do often. See the mock up below.

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  135.5 KB

On another line of thought - I have had some ideas about second ski mounts, inserts etc...

I was thinking that if I can find metal shoulder washers that are the right size it should be easy to tap them for an M5 bolt, then run the bolt in with some red Locktite. This should create a toe bolt that will fit BF inserts and be solid with no slop at all. There are tons of options for nylon shoulder washers apparently for insulating purposes, but finding steel ones seems to be hard. Any ideas?

The heel parts (binding and riser) could easily be mounted with inserts, and thus easy to swap. Even if the toe bolts aren't practical to do, it should be easy enough to have skis mounted with just the plate and the washer-screw combos up front, and inserts at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Isn't just over a kilo about the weight of a frame binding ?

better ergonomics than a frame binding

looks good for a certain focus group of users !
    Comparable frame bindings with similar din are guardian and duke(both 16din) would add 1lb per foot. Together with the climbing ergonomics of a pintech the efficiency disparity is huge. They also ski better and should be much more durable and safer. My 1st gens have easily over 100 days of generally on hill abuse and around 30 days of touring. Still going strong and the nice thing is they’re just a complete alpine setup until I want to tour. I recently borrowed the dynafit toes from my cast plates and when I bolted them back to the cast plates, together with leaving them frozen in the back of my truck, the change overs were a pain to slide the plates in and out. Sorted now but the new system looks to have cured any of that happening. Curious to hear more feed back on the new system. Mine have been a nice addition to have on atleast one ski

Any updates for this season?
    Subscribed to their mailing list today, but the nights are getting colder, and I'm pondering new quiver solutions for this year

Bump...

I don't want a Shift. I want a Pivot. Please tell me this is possible.

Can someone please share photos and experience of toe pedestal assembly? I was doing assembly of toe part and I'm struggling with compressing dat 18 din spring! I only managed to do that with pushing metal plate of the rod from AFD side. But it appears that's not the right way because when assembled, my toe piece is not flexing sideways even at very low din setting. Should the metal plate on the end of the rod be fully back?
    Name:  photo_2018-08-25_16-04-46.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  181.4 KB

Season update. The system arrived late in the season, but I have not been disappointed. I have over 20 days touring on them now, and 50 skiing. I will never go back. Last winter I skied an entire week on the Shift binding and would never recommend them. Sorry Salomon... The Cast system has its quirks, but I was able to work through them over time. I’ve never had a touring setup that didn’t have a learning period. For next season I saw Lars and Silas updated the brake retaining device and it looks sweet. Also, I would recommend letting them do the assembly. They are pros at it and have all the proper tools. I had more than one friend get injured skiing with locked out Kingpins last winter and now they all wish they forked up the extra cash. The new Cast system is bomber and will likely handle everyday abuse for years to come.

Do not get the shift binding. You are as high off the ski as a Duke, fragile as a Dynafit, only one bailer height, and no 0° walk mode (it starts at 2.5° like the Guardian, which fucking sucks on a approach). They are moving in a positive direction and their new QST skis for 2019 are sweet. But if you are even considering CAST you wouldn’t be happy with the Shift. The Shift did hold me in though, that’s more than I can say about any other tech binding.

Quote Originally Posted by tjburkesalad View Post
    Do not get the shift binding. You are as high off the ski as a Duke, fragile as a Dynafit, only one bailer height, and no 0° walk mode (it starts at 2.5° like the Guardian, which fucking sucks on a approach). They are moving in a positive direction and their new QST skis for 2019 are sweet. But if you are even considering CAST you wouldn’t be happy with the Shift. The Shift did hold me in though, that’s more than I can say about any other tech binding.
    Haha 7 post jong; who clearly sold his left testicle to get a pair of CASTs talking shit about the shift.

Shift stack height is 21mm, Cast is 20mm, Duke is 36mm, tecton is 24mm, pivot 18mm.

Fuck off.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

UPDATE:

Hey All,

Glad it seems like everyone has generally been stoked on the new system. We will be taking orders September 1st and sending orders November 1st. We have worked out the issues from the first production run (the brake retainer consistency, tech toe fit, durability issues) and are looking forward to getting a more dialed system out to folks for this season.

We are looking good on our parts supply for this falls production and are still regretful about the delay from last season. Thanks to everyone that stuck it out!

Keep spreading the word if your stoked on the system! cheers

Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Can someone please share photos and experience of toe pedestal assembly? I was doing assembly of toe part and I'm struggling with compressing dat 18 din spring! I only managed to do that with pushing metal plate of the rod from AFD side. But it appears that's not the right way because when assembled, my toe piece is not flexing sideways even at very low din setting. Should the metal plate on the end of the rod be fully back?
    Name:  photo_2018-08-25_16-04-46.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  181.4 KB
    I think so. You've seen this I guess? https://casttouring.com/pages/freeto...e-instructions

Quote Originally Posted by silaschickeringayers View Post
    UPDATE:

Hey All,

Glad it seems like everyone has generally been stoked on the new system. We will be taking orders September 1st and sending orders November 1st. We have worked out the issues from the first production run (the brake retainer consistency, tech toe fit, durability issues) and are looking forward to getting a more dialed system out to folks for this season.

We are looking good on our parts supply for this falls production and are still regretful about the delay from last season. Thanks to everyone that stuck it out!

Sounds good.
    Just to confirm....In addition to P18/FKS180s, one can use an older pair of FKS race 185s?

UPDATE:

Hey All,

What issues were you having with the tech toe? I have a pair of the Freetour, wasnt able to tour with them last season, but is there some issue we should be looking for?

Some folks had a tight fit with the tech arms locking around the shoulder bolts. It seemed as though most everyone was able to get them working smooth. The mount has to be fairly spot on and if it wasn't I think that's where most of those issues came up. We've made that interface a bit more foolproof for this season.

Is there much weight savings with the new CAST system compared to the old one in ski mode?

I do not have the numbers in front of me, but yes. The place I noticed it the most was in the touring toes.

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

In ski mode, I doubt it. You have the same bindings you normally use plus a plate with shoulder bolts.

The heel riser system seems better but the weight savings would be minimal.

Here is an updated blister review. I was surprised that Cast is heavier than the shift while in touring mode + the weight of the pivot toes in your backpack.

http://blistergearreview.com/at-bind...ur-upgrade-kit

The new version adds 170g of weight in ski mode, the old one adds 250g, so 80g weight savings. They also eliminated the extra stand height.

That looks clean as tits. How much time do I have to order for a December 1st shipping?

Daammmmmnnnn, I want! Good work!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Anybody know what the customs cost in Canada is like?

Anyone ever consider a group buy on here?

If you can get enough people together on here, we could set up a small TGR discount. I will stay tuned.