Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    CAST might be able to convert an old P/FKS 155. Or follow 1000 Oaks method above for backing the rv down to under 8. But really, if you routinely run an rv under 8, are you really skiing hard enough to need a CAST system?
    That's a fair question. Probably the only reason I can see for this is durability - for a ski you plan on primarily skiing inbounds but would like to have a sidecountry option with them.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-05-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Looks like this guy has a couple pairs of 15 DIN Pivots for those interested in running an RV < 8 with the new CAST system.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...sets-of-PIVOTS

As long as they're race toes like the pivot 18 I think Lars can convert then the same as Pivot 18s.

Does any one know if cast system is in production or when they will start.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Ok ... I just scored a set of new Pivot 18's on eBay for $250.

Question: Am I correct that the toe hole screws of the CAST shoulder screws have standard binding screw threads (12AB)?

The question relates to possibility of the CAST delivery being delayed, and starting the season with a standard Look mount on my soon to arrive Quixotes. There's also the possibility that I might decide to move the CAST rig to my Billy Goats.

I realize that the heel mount is standard (and I'll likely install inserts).

... Thom
    They are not standard toe mount screws. I'll see if I can get you an answer for which screws if is exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    They are not standard toe mount screws. I'll see if I can get you an answer for which screws if is exactly.
    Thanks, I shot an email off to Cody overnight. I realize that the shoulder screws are different, and was interested in the thread profile tapped into the ski.

Edit-1: I just heard back from Cody. Standard binding screw threads. That was easy!

Edit-2: I mentioned that I'd likely run another pair of Looks on my skis before receiving the CAST conversion back from them, and Cody made two comments:

(1) Don't use inserts (BF/QK) on the heel either (I thought only the toe had compatibility issues with threaded inserts).
    (2) Helicoil all of the holes since I'll be R&R'ing the bindings. That makes sense, and I was already planning on helicoiling the toes.

I'm not sure why the heel would be incompatible with Binding Freedom/Quiver Killer. I'll wait until I have the whole deal in front of me to see for myself.

The pre-order deal is still active. $20 to get in. Cody also commented that as of now, the WTR AFD is an option (not an add-on price).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-30-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Galibier Design

I received an update e-mail from Silas yesterday. Pre-order pricing ends on September 30th.

They struck a deal to obtain Pivot-18's for $350 (buy directly from these folks: https://segoskis.com/collections/17-18-bindings). If you need a pair, CAST will generate a discount code at the time of your order, and you'll use that code to purchase directly from Sego at the discounted price. Sego will send the bindings to CAST for the conversion at no charge to you.

For those of us who are supplying our own bindings, they'll need them by October 31st, and their current plan is to have the first production run complete by the end of November.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-14-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    Galibier Design

I see Pivot 18 are a hot item over here..I've got a set of new P18 w/ 130 brakes listed in the gear swap. Selling for 230 shipped plus fees.

and I am going to resist reading this entire thread otherwise I might end up preordering a Cast......must resist.

I did a bit more soul searching after auvgeek's earlier comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ... if you routinely run an rv under 8, are you really skiing hard enough to need a CAST system?
    I don't want to risk my "tender" left knee on a P-18 and am going to bail on this project.

If anyone is interested, tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to list my new in box (last year's model) P-18's (115 brake) complete with the toe risers, and both alpine and WTR AFDs on gear swap for $250 plus shipping (I paid $20 for the WTR AFDs and would like to sell it as a package).

Edit: the P18's sold. The WTR AFD's are still available however. Let the seller's remorse begin ;-)

I'm just gonna ski my Vipec mounted GPOs on the days I plan on ducking the ropes and call it good.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Galibier Design

anyone managed to contact guys? dropped them a mail 2 weeks ago and still no answer. I was wondering about their final decision on self-converting bindings and heel screws

So has anyone actually been able to order them?
    I'm here with my wallet all good and ready

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    anyone managed to contact guys? dropped them a mail 2 weeks ago and still no answer. I was wondering about their final decision on self-converting bindings and heel screws
    If by self-converting, you mean that you retrofit the toe and heel, that's not gonna happen.

They want control of the process for obvious reasons (quality and liability).

I asked Cody about reversing the conversion in case it wasn't working for me. I have access to machinist who subcontracts to NASA. Cody commented that they'd be happy to reverse the conversion, but they were uncomfortable supporting my having it done on my end. I respect that.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I'll swing by the shop next week and kick some tires, and we what's going on. I bet the boys are working on their full time day job still.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    If by self-converting, you mean that you retrofit the toe and heel, that's not gonna happen.

They want control of the process for obvious reasons (quality and liability).

I asked Cody about reversing the conversion in case it wasn't working for me. I have access to machinist who subcontracts to NASA. Cody commented that they'd be happy to reverse the conversion, but they were uncomfortable supporting my having it done on my end. I respect that.

... Thom
    I'm totally cool with this, I also respect that even though it's not comfortable for me. I just wanted to clarify this cause there was a phrase in one of mails from guys saying "The installation of our toe piece components is pretty easy but attaching our brake retention components is bit more involved. So, we currently feel that the best option for installation will be to have customers send us their bindings, this installation will be included with the purchase of the Freetour kit. If we can get the process dialed in to the point we feel comfortable sending the kits out for customers to install themselves we will make that an option as well. " and since then I haven't seen any clear statement about their final decision. Don't want it to sound like a complain, I realize CAST can't be a full-time job but not answering emails for a month is not very pleasant. I hope guys will shed some light on the details as they are clearly missing
    Last edited by HukuTa_KydecHuk; 10-02-2017 at 05:14 AM.

That's interesting about the heels vs. toes.

I got the opposite impression - that replacing the toe pedestal/pillar is the more challenging of the two operations. Of course, taking some brake assemblies apart can result in parts flying all over the place ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Galibier Design

A few key points from the most recent email update:

Unfortunately the current development of the brake retainer is not to our standards and we feel that rubber bands will be a more reliable solution for the time being. We will continue to develop the auto-locking brake retainer and will gladly update customers heel units if these become available during this season. The good news is that you will not need to send in your bindings. The toe unit upgrade is fairly straightforward and can be done with only a #3 posidrive screwdriver.
    Sounds like the toe is the easy part, but the heels didn't work out.

Our Freetour Upgrade Kit utilizes the all metal toe housing style of the Look Pivot 18s and similar Rossignol FKS models. The older style Look Pivot 5-15s (before 2007) will work for our upgrade. The plastic toe housing styles of the Look Pivot 14s do not work with our upgrade kit. We are working on a lower release value for next season.
    We are also offering a Freetour Second Ski Kit. This will allow you to use the Freetour on multiple sets of skis at a low cost. No need to buy extra hardware. This kit includes the Freetour heel unit with climbing bails as well as the toe shim and shoulder screws
    This is good news. U$80. Not bad I guess. I am still curious why we can't swap the heel parts around on inserts/helicoils. Maybe it will become obvious when I see them in person.

Here's an updated timeline. We're accepting orders from now on. Accepting bindings for conversion until the middle of November. We'll be receiving the final parts from our vendors end of November and hoping to ship kits by mid December.
    I am not usually an early adopter, but I am taking a winger on this one... waiting for mid December...

I'll be keeping my eye on this for a possible addition next year.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I am not usually an early adopter, but I am taking a winger on this one... waiting for mid December...
    Usually my approach too, but I ordered. I was part of the original CAST kickstarter, and while it has its quirks, the system works really well and I've had no durability issues. It's the only easy option I've found to eliminate any compromise on performance on a pair of skis I primarily use inbounds while also enabling solid touring capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post

This is good news. U$80. Not bad I guess. I am still curious why we can't swap the heel parts around on inserts/helicoils. Maybe it will become obvious when I see them in person.

I assume toe screws are thickened, so you can still probably use them with helicoils but you should drill really big holes. As for the heels - I do believe that you can actually use any heel unit, P12, P14 or P18 and use it with QK/BF inserts. The only thing that comes to my mind is that heel screws can be a bit longer/thicker as you are installing not only the heel unit, but the baseplate that holds climbing bails which can add extra 2-3mm

Also not usually an early adopter but for this one I'm in. Hope to take them for a new year touring trip, will see how it goes

Just purchased look px racing 15 maxflex for the toe piece of the binding

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

From Instagram today

https://instagram.com/p/Ba7zPPQlFvF/

I was over there dropping off New P18s. They were perfecting the brake retention mechanism. The rubber bands were simple and worked, but the new concept was clever.

I respect this kind of home grown innovation.

Stoke. Stoke. Stoked

Looks like they reworked toe a bit?

By the way, I just found a new section on their site, showing toe pedestal install process
    Check it out here: https://casttouring.com/pages/freeto...e-instructions

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Looks like they reworked toe a bit?

By the way, I just found a new section on their site, showing toe pedestal install process
    Check it out here: https://casttouring.com/pages/freeto...e-instructions
    The pedestal that was posted on Instagram is the finished piece

Feeling slightly foolish here but can anyone explain to me what is making the alpine toe piece stay on? Doesn't look like there is any sort of latch that I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Feeling slightly foolish here but can anyone explain to me what is making the alpine toe piece stay on? Doesn't look like there is any sort of latch that I can see.
    it gets pushed forward by the boot. I guess there is enough friction there you will not lose ist when you eject from the bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    it gets pushed forward by the boot. I guess there is enough friction there you will not lose ist when you eject from the bindings.
    That's what I thought. Interesting to say the least. I imagine they've done serious testing, but I feel like a latch would help.