Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Wait so don’t open the lock to take the toe off?

Open the lock to disengage and initiate the slide (x-axis), release it before you remove the toe from the ski (y-axis). If you keep holding it open the metal tab will catch on the edge of the screw tower.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    Open the lock to disengage and initiate the slide (x-axis), release it before you remove the toe from the ski (y-axis). If you keep holding it open the metal tab will catch on the edge of the screw tower.
    Aha, that makes total sense. Thanks for clarifying.

Just got a great deal on a pair of Scott Scrapper 115s in the Jeremie Heitz pro model (only 50 made!), and wouldn't be doing them justice without mounting CASTs. I have them on a narrower pair of skis, so would be looking at the second ski kit. Am I correct in saying that all I need in addition to that is any old pair of Pivot/FKS heels? I am skiing with GW boots but in theory that shouldn't matter as the GW pivot toe will be shared across?

Apologies if it has already been covered.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Just got a great deal on a pair of Scott Scrapper 115s in the Jeremie Heitz pro model (only 50 made!), and wouldn't be doing them justice without mounting CASTs. I have them on a narrower pair of skis, so would be looking at the second ski kit. Am I correct in saying that all I need in addition to that is any old pair of Pivot/FKS heels? I am skiing with GW boots but in theory that shouldn't matter as the GW pivot toe will be shared across?

Apologies if it has already been covered.
    Correct

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge re different tech boot soles.

Looking at getting CAST for some cheap Pivot 15s I picked up.

I currently have three ski boots with three different soles….Dalbello Krytpons (alpine), Dalbello Lupo HD (Gripwalk) and just got some Dalbello Lupo Air (9523).

Probably buying the Gripwalk AFD with the CAST for the Lupo HDs.

Is it worth the +$15 to buy the CAST Alpine AFD too? If I want to ski the Kryptons for a few inbound days in a row.

I confess I really don’t know that much about the different touring soles (eg GW vs 9533 vs WTR).

I think you can buy Dalbello Gripwalk soles for the Lupo Air? Ie swap out the 9523 soles. Which seems to make sense to make them consistent with the Lupo HDs? As I also have Tectons and Shifts on other skis and want to use the Lupo HDs and Lupo Airs interchangeably.

Where’s a good place to source Gripwalk soles for Dalbellos? And why the f are there different touring soles?

Thx,

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-27-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks for that. I was entertaining similar ideas of a WTR conversion. Not having a 3D printer, it may take some time to find the motivation, but it's good to see others documenting both their fabrication skills and their mania ;-)

... Thom
    Much more robust option (and easier to fabricate too) is just cutting these gripwalk pads out of a HDPE chopping board. Then if you're lazy, just epoxy them into the sole cutouts. I'd personally drill the whole sole/boot assembly through, put T-nuts in the boot, and use machine screws to hold plates - this way you can replace them when they wear out. You can even start with self-tapping screws - this is what boot manufacturers use to hold sole blocks, as they don't anticipate you swapping those a whole gazillion of times.
    oh shit here comes the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by duboix View Post
    Much more robust option (and easier to fabricate too) is just cutting these gripwalk pads out of a HDPE chopping board. Then if you're lazy, just epoxy them into the sole cutouts. I'd personally drill the whole sole/boot assembly through, put T-nuts in the boot, and use machine screws to hold plates - this way you can replace them when they wear out. You can even start with self-tapping screws - this is what boot manufacturers use to hold sole blocks, as they don't anticipate you swapping those a whole gazillion of times.
    Yup! I once started a project to do this. I have a mess of different thicknesses of UHMW in my junk bins. For some reason, I shelved it and went on to something else. I might just resuscitate that project ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Site is up and taking preorders as of this morning

The new -2017- CAST touring system thread

Bought some Gripwalk soles for my Lupo Airs just so I’m on the same sole as my Lupo HDs.

And CAST Freetour gold ordered (to go with my $239CDN gold Pivot 15s from Corbetts last spring). Pumped to try the CAST set-up.

Now just need to decide which ski is worthy of this set up? K2 Reckoner 112s, Icelantic Nomad 115s unmounted at present are possibles.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-27-2021 at 08:02 PM.

I shoulda thought ahead and got a pair or two of those Pivot 15s from Corbetts when I saw em for so cheap. But it's cool that CAST's preassembled kits are still reasonably priced.

I've got an order in for a Pivot 15 setup. Going to toss them on some Moment Wildcats. Stoked to have a CAST setup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Bought some Gripwalk soles for my Lupo Airs just so I’m on the same sole as my Lupo HDs.

And CAST Freetour gold ordered (to go with my $239CDN gold Pivot 15s from Corbetts last spring). Pumped to try the CAST set-up.

Now just need to decide which ski is worthy of this set up? K2 Reckoner 112s, Icelantic Nomad 115s unmounted at present are possibles.
    Reckoners for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Possibly a JONG cast question but is it possible to install inserts for the system for use on multiple skis?
    swing your fucking sword.

Possibly a JONG answer, but they sell stand-alone toe plate assemblies for just this reason. Sometimes on sale for as low as $50.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Possibly a JONG answer, but they sell stand-alone toe plate assemblies for just this reason. Sometimes on sale for as low as $50.
    I don’t know how I overlooked this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think you have it figured now, but what i have done is add a toe plate to the second set of skis, and use inserts for the heels. Somewhere in this thread is the reference for screw length that you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I think you have it figured now, but what i have done is add a toe plate to the second set of skis, and use inserts for the heels. Somewhere in this thread is the reference for screw length that you are looking for.
    yep, i just figured it out.

i know it says on CAST's FAQ page that they don't recommend using inserts for the toe piece but if I am mounting with a jig and drill press, do you see any reason not to?

one other way to think about it: assuming you're using p15s and not p18s, just spring for a used pair of decent p14s and use the heel for the second pair of skis. then sell or hold the p14 toes.

I think you have it figured now, but what i have done is add a toe plate to the second set of skis, and use inserts for the heels.

Somewhere in this thread is the reference for screw lengths that you are looking for... Aha, here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    I think you have it figured now, but what i have done is add a toe plate to the second set of skis, and use inserts for the heels.

Somewhere in this thread is the reference for screw lengths that you are looking for... Aha, here we go!
    fuck yeah. thank you very much.

Looks like October Pre-Orders are done, next batch in December.

has anyone successfully installed inserts for the toe piece?

reality is, if i can save $100 bucks by going full inserts instead of the 2nd ski kit across 3 pairs of planks, i'm gonna do it.

well, fuck. BF is out of 20mm lowheads.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    has anyone successfully installed inserts for the toe piece?

reality is, if i can save $100 bucks by going full inserts instead of the 2nd ski kit across 3 pairs of planks, i'm gonna do it.
    I don't think it's recommended to go inserts on the toe plate. Inserts for the heel is fine, but The alignment is a bit finnicky on the toe plate with inserts