Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Desk job and neck pain- anyone have a stand up desk solution?

Last couple of weeks my neck has been killing me. Only at work it seems. Over the weekends the pain dissipates. Two hours back at work and it starts again. Had HR send a guy over who did an ergonomic assessment. He recommended some posture changes and a stand up desk solution. Anyone have one they like? Anyone else suffer from sitting all day?

i'm guessing it has more to do with what you're looking at than how you are sitting (vs standing).
    i've found people who stand to work often request a way to sit too because it gets tiring

it also could be stress; or even eye issues (holding your head a certain way for long periods of time)

to answer your question, i like these
    http://www.hermanmiller.com/products...nd-tables.html

My company bought us these a couple years ago: http://www.varidesk.com/ I like it a lot. Stand for awhile, sit for awhile, rinse, repeat.

But, nothing beats getting away from your desk and moving around every hour or so. Go do some squats, jump around, step outside and jog a 1/4 mile, do some pushups/pullups/burpees/planks/whatever. Basically try and do 2-minute micro workouts 4-8x per day. It can add up to quite a bit of exercise.

I use one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71A78VsBa9L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	202976

Easy to adjust the height for when I want to sit, cheaper than the electric-adjust ones, and two-tiered for better monitor positioning. Recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Up-Desk.../dp/B00JREVI5G

Flexispot.com is what we use, easily built and moved and compatible with your existing desk (in most cases)

Trying the box now...

Getting computer glasses. Trying to watch posture. Getting up more etc... Going to get a stand up just to mix it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1490134426266.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	202993

Holy fack same exact thing here!

I just started my first real professional job this past year and have 90% office work during the winter and spring. I've noticed I get terrible neck pain at the base of my neck on the lower left side. And like you, it goes away at the weekend, then within a few hours on Monday AM it's back for the rest of the week.

I would also add that I wear glasses (I have a really thick prescription). Sometimes I wonder if this plays a factor in my neck position as I tend to optimize my eye contact with the screen (if that makes sense?), rather than necessarily paying attention to posture.

Ya, desk jobs will kill ya, man! Kind of sucks that a lot of the well paying jobs in this modern world require sitting all day.

I know for me, my eyes are getting worse at that middle range. I can see well far away with my contacts on and my reading glasses are great up close, but that computer range of 30-50 inches is not good. The ergonomics guy asked me to sit at my desk and type. As soon as I started typing, he said I leaned in. It only takes a little lean for a 10lb head to start stressing muscles, nerves and ligaments in you neck and shoulders. I'd bet you're leaning in too. You may want to see about computer glasses that are specifically for that sight range. I haven't gotten mine yet, but I know just bringing my monitor way in close helped me sit properly.

It helps me to keep visualizing this while I'm at my desk. Keep that 10lb bowling ball balanced!

glad you've got a solution!

A monitor arm is a great solution, even if you have a nice sit-stand desk. Plus, it keeps your desk surface clear.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    A monitor arm is a great solution, even if you have a nice sit-stand desk. Plus, it keeps your desk surface clear.
    I bought these for both home and work, they are awesome and an absolute steal at $34 for how well-built they are
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I bought these for both home and work, they are awesome and an absolute steal at $34 for how well-built they are
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Those are sweet but i am running 3 samsung 27 in monitors. And none of the three have mounting places on them. you think i could just use some small self threading screws?

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Those are sweet but i am running 3 samsung 27 in monitors. And none of the three have mounting places on them. you think i could just use some small self threading screws?
    My HP monitors at home didn't have VESA mounting holes either, but I was able to buy (overpriced) adapter brackets. Maybe something would be available for the Samsungs too?
    3 monitors makes it tricky though.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    My HP monitors at home didn't have VESA mounting holes either, but I was able to buy (overpriced) adapter brackets. Maybe something would be available for the Samsungs too?
    3 monitors makes it tricky though.
    i could just buy two bracket mounts. and use the three mounts.
    ill look for adaptors

Hard to believe those samsung's aren't vesa? mounting points could possibly be hidden underneath the back cover/shroud.

Just about any (cheap) metal fabricated bracket will work. It's more about the stability of the mounting point (wall-desk-floor) being very secure.

I ended up through bolting the lower bracket instead of the pinch clamp.

I run three 24's at just below eye level about 22" from my head position. Eye strain comes and goes. I keep the brightness as low as I can tolerate and crank the contrast.

Have battled the pain (back/neck/wrist/butt/thighs) and discomfort foreva - done it all - standing; knee chairs; large ball; wrist rest; ergo keyboards; floating mouse; infinitum.

Pain used to inconsistently change but, is pretty static now; glutes and hamstrings.

Beyond head position, I keep my feet elevated and chair back tilted back about 20%.

yermileagewillvary, just continue to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Hard to believe those samsung's aren't vesa? mounting points could possibly be hidden underneath the back cover/shroud.
    Stupidly, a number of samsung monitors don't have VESA mounts.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 03-22-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added quote
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have the model below from Ikea. The price is right, the frame feels good enough to last, and if I eventually kill the desktop, I can replace it.

Thanks for the rec on the monitor stands. I just pulled the trigger on the one adrenalated recommended.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/49084965/

The big thing now in my office is the Workfit things from Ergotron: http://www.ergotron.com/en-us/produc...sk-conversions
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

https://www.mount-it.net/monitor-ves...dHDBoC3Nfw_wcB

No Way... Samsung making stupid mistakes - unpossible

that is great^^^^^

FWIW, when I said monitor arm above, I meant something adjustable like this:
    http://www.thehumansolution.com/uplift-monitor-arm.html

Also helps with the OP's vision issues as you can get the monitor the optimal distance (I've heard between 20" and 26") away from your eyes.

Nothing wrong with a stand like adrenalated mentioned above, but if you are truly suffering from vision and neck pain, I would want something adjustable.

photos

Might not be relevant to the OP, since his pain goes away on the weekends, but my neck pain went away when I got rid of the second pillow. I use it to read or watch the tube, throw it on the floor when I go to sleep, trip over it in the dark when I get up to piss.

this is the sort i always wanted.