Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quitting, social crap and such

The other thread made me think of this. I've quit a few things over the years that have always produced a positive change. I quit FB and just recently quit Instagram, and I really want to quit Twitter as it's where I get my news. The new presidency just continues to piss me off and I know I can't do a damn thing about it until the mid-term elections. So why get myself pissed off daily for no reason. Or maybe I should be informed and do something more? The other sites were such a time suck. I realized that I was wasting my life away on nothing.

Thought about quitting coffee as that is the one vice I truly use daily. I notice headaches on weekends sometimes coming down, so it's definitely doing something not great for me.

I drink alcohol, but randomly and usually one beer. Weekends I'll have a few maybe. Weed is common, but not daily either.

And maybe this place, tgr. I skim too many random threads for no reason. I like the pics, the condition updates and the tech advice that everyone provides. My excuse is I'm usually on here at work, but I could actually do more work! ...Ah, I can't quit this place! yet

Well you've definitely made that first big step by starting a thread about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Well you've definitely made that first big step by starting a thread about it.

Check in with la Rog on the best way to piss off the moderators and get yourself banned. Having someone else make the decision for you is the best way to quit this place.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Check in with la Rog on the best way to piss off the moderators and get yourself banned. Having someone else make the decision for you is the best way to quit this place.
    Alternate method is to do a Spook by pretending your former self never existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

HA HA

disabled my FB account last month
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Alternate facts

Or run for public office.

I don't quit things that make me happy. I love instagram. It makes me smile and laugh. I would never quit it. FB I still have my account but it's dormant or for private messages only. I don't quit forums that make me happy either but I limit my time on them. It's fun to read tapatalk on my breaks at work. I don't see any harm in that, for me anyway.

Do what fulfills you, what makes you feel happy and centered. As long as it's legal and not hurting anyone why not?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    HA HA

disabled my FB account last month
    And?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by mad847 View Post
    I don't quit things that make me happy. I love instagram. It makes me smile and laugh. I would never quit it. FB I still have my account but it's dormant or for private messages only. I don't quit forums that make me happy either but I limit my time on them. It's fun to read tapatalk on my breaks at work. I don't see any harm in that, for me anyway.

Do what fulfills you, what makes you feel happy and centered. As long as it's legal and not hurting anyone why not?
    +1 on instagram. Lots of good pictures to look at it with minimal politics and ranting

So talk mean spirited shit about a much loved and revered skier that just passed away? Man that was some cold and over the line shit.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by shredthegnarr View Post
    +1 on instagram. Lots of good pictures to look at it with minimal politics and ranting
    Ya, I would get rid of FB a lot quicker than instagram.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I have noticed that when people go dark on social media it's often a sign of underlying problems, i.e. depression, alcoholism or other addictions, major relationship issues, etc.

A less painful route would be to buy a Honda Pilot. Flip it into the ditch in a slow speed, one car crash. Post about it here and assert your superior driving abilities, general knowledge and intellect, and sprinkle in some questionable people skills and piousness.

You'll quit in a week, no problem.
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm not really that good at lying to myself or others, so I don't think I could pull that one off.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I have noticed that when people go dark on social media it's often a sign of underlying problems, i.e. depression, alcoholism or other addictions, major relationship issues, etc.
    That may be true, but not in my case. I just can't stand the idiots on FB and quit that one a few yrs ago now. Instapic was just a time suck, so I killed it. Too much time looking at others, instead of actually doing something myself.

Although, I'm pretty sure I got my last faceshot of the season on Sunday and certainly didn't meet my quota for the year...so yeah, thats it! I'm fucking depressed because the powdah season is over!

TGR always has the answers!

The coffee sure is good this morning

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That may be true, but not in my case. I just can't stand the idiots on FB and quit that one a few yrs ago now. Instapic was just a time suck, so I killed it. Too much time looking at others, instead of actually doing something myself.

:
    Same here! I permanently deleted Facebook about 5yrs ago and never looked back. Too much political posts and random crap from other people's lives I dont care about. I never had Twitter. But I do have Instagram. I like it as a platform to share personal photos. But I'm finding it to be a huge time warp the past 6 months or so, wher I just endlessly scroll through my feed or the random feed, looking at other dope pics, wishing I was getting rad all the time too in a better location. I removed the app from my phone for awhile and just occasionally checked it on a computer browser (no random feed, no ads, no suggested pages), but since re-installing on my phone a few days ago, I have noticed that I'm spending quite a bit of time again on it.

I mean, I genuinely think social media can be addictive, and at least for me, the solution to not wasting time is I have to permanently delete it.

TGR I find not so bad, but might end up deleting in the future.

Yeah, that was my answer as well...I deleted the app from my phone. Best way to do it. I've been back on a few time, especially if my kid posts a pic from Santa Cruz, but that's my only reason for jumping back on for a look.

I'm pretty close to killing my tv also. That thing comes on at most 2-3 times a week over the past 6 months. It's just another complete waste of my life imo. There are certainly times I like to just shut down and watch a sport or a rerun of Seinfeld, but that's all I really enjoy watching.

Agree with: Instagram > Facebook. Sometimes I want to remove FB but sometimes there's stuff on there I really really enjoy so it's a balance with putting up with all of the BS. I've also definitely kept in better touch with distant friends than I would have otherwise. It's a tough balance.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    And?
    Seems to have worked out pretty well for him
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...nking-too-much

Social media can be addicting and annoying (the politics), but like others say it is a way to keep in touch with distant friends and family. That's worth it to me. And yes, I am actually interested in what other people are doing. I've also gotten pretty good at scrolling past the bullshit.

It takes a conscious decision not to pick up the phone and look at the feeds. When I feel the urge, I pick up a book or magazine instead. But let's face it we all have some downtime when we can scroll the feeds, sitting in the tire shop, waiting in the car for the kid to be done with soccer practice, whatever. So it doesn't have to be a time suck, it can actually be a way to pass downtime and be transported to other places around the world that are cool.

But it's also good to remember how to stare out the window and just do nothing. I'm trying to teach my kids that concept. One of them gets it, the other is an addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I permanently deleted...the solution to not wasting time is I have to permanently delete it.

I'm getting there myself too with fb/twitter. It's a time suck that gives me very, very little in the way of entertainment/pleasure and a huge amount in the way of annoyance, frustration, seeing stuff I don't care about, and pumping huge amounts of my personal information into advertising engines. I haven't deleted my accounts at either, but have removed the apps from my phone and have essentially blocked the sites on my laptop (added entries in /etc/hosts pointing them to 127.0.0.1). And I'll be deleting both accounts + scrambling the passwords before any international travel, for sure.

I still enjoy instagram but I follow largely mags and local people in the ski/climbing community. I get a lot of great conditions beta/obs and rarely see anything that isn't at least partially stoke. If any of that changes, that one can go as well.

IMO it's silly to feel bad about ceasing to use something as dumb and ephemeral as social media. If it stops being worth your time, get rid of it. You can rest assured that if you ever decide you need to find some sort of pointless circlejerk timesuck where you read the moronic ramblings of retards you went to high school with or whatever, some asshole in the bay will be working on a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    hmmm.

I quit facebook and twitter years ago and usually only check email every 3 days or so. since then I routinely read a book a week with the spare time.

the internet and social media much like tv are largely a waste of your time and never measure up to time spent of the side of a mountain or on the lake imo.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Signed up for twatter one day in the early aughts, I think for a free sandwich promotion, no clue what happened to it.

Faceplace is kid/dog/food/travel pics just like everyone else from my age demo, but the last few elections have turned everyone not in that group into little angry men like rachel maddow or insane limbaugh dorks, so I check it all of once a month anymore.

I can't quit TGR, I gotta stick around to see how it ends.
    I still call it The Jake.