Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    i like the pic too

i would call it crude excellence
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Skosh View Post
    Wife is quitting her job and wants to start painting more. We don't really need the money, but it'd be sweet if she could sell some pieces.

This is her second attempt with oils, on like an 11x14 ish canvas. Appreciate general feedback.

If your wife was my friend I'd be happy to hang that in my house somewhere. I'd even pay for it if she let me.

Would I buy it from a stranger, depends.

If am buying a piece of art I need to have a connection to it wether it be the person or the painting itself. That said if a piece like that from a "local artist" was in a coffee shop/farmers market at place I was visiting and I connected with it then sure I'd buy it, if the price was realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    My gallery owner friend says that galleries in vacation destinations always do better than traditional locations as 1) feel good vacation factor and 2) one of the few times couples are together long enough to OK big expenditures on art...
    Wine tasting helps too

Have picked up several pieces of art (paintings and sculptures) at the Lawrence Gallery in the heart of Yamhill County wine country (McMinnville Oregon).

Girlfriend does digital art among other stuff. That's her in the image. She likes to theme herself and says this is really difficult work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lishoaart1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	656.1 KB 
ID:	203013
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The bottom one seems like it might be cool, too bad it's not bigger. Is it just a photo of a woman painting or is the whole thing the art?

I tried to delete it. Still there. I have a bigger one. The bottom one is not as skilled fwiw.

I was starting to think it was conceptual but obviously I'm stoned.

I am not stoned, and have a really good idea for art, but wouldn't buy any of this stuff.

Just sayin', it's not only not what I gravitate too, it's just not even there.

And it doesn't matter how long it takes.

A lot like math, cooking, and architecture.

You either have it, or you don't.

Trying is fun though.

Not trying to offend. Encourage it all. All of it.

Get freaky even!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So much gold in this thread. Too much to catch up on.

Before it gets lost in the muck: OP, good on yer wife for painting, who gives a shit if it never sells. Pretty sure I could paint for 15 years and it would still look like smeared poo. At first glance I liked the pic and it even had a photographic quality to my bourbon tinged eye.

sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    kincade isnt crap

your just unrefined
    Finally. We've found your muse.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

Yeah.......
    There is zero sense of speed and or fuckyeah in that painting. It's like Daytona is frozen in amber. 0.1/10

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I'd throw $37 in to the pot if your wife will paint DD a picture of a really well cooked steak.
    I too am a patron of the arts. Gotta nail those grey tones though.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Be fucking still, my beating heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    My asshole step father is an artist, perhaps you've heard of him. Anyway, he built his brand starting in the Army, then taught HS art, traveled the world, and was making six figures on art selling between 2-5k a piece at his peak.

But this guy was a straight up Hustler. You have to be to make it as an artist. He calls them "sponsors". Working with the galleries, sucking up to people who will blow that kind of money on art. Now he steals from my mother, I hate him.

You can never escape that bullshit, not in most jobs.

Sorry.
    Sorry to add another story like this but; this. Aside from the snoots I grew up with I didn't know art was a hustle. My freshman year roommate's dad was this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Young My homeboy was the whitest version of Darius Rucker you could imagine (dead ringer too) and cool as fuck to boot, but I couldn't tell you who his dad was to save my life... Until he showed me his original painting and how many times he licensed the fucking thing... and his house... until he lost it by fucking some 20 y/o "art intern" but that's another story.

Anyway, story is: you want to sell art, you better be willing to fucking hustle and have some negotiable virtues and a morally flexible attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post

Bradley Theodore.

Graffiti artist turn into painter.

Attachment 202894
    Choi, I think you're great and really appreciate your comments on a subject here that I'm an admitted DD on, but I think we can all agree that there's just too much Anna Wintour these days.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Start with a coffee shop while she's honing her eye. Around here, they hang and sell local art all the time.
    Ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    this guy couldnt even make money Attachment 202920
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    Solid reference
    Worth repeating.
    I still call it The Jake.

Would you buy this?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Choi, I think you're great and really appreciate your comments on a subject here that I'm an admitted DD on, but I think we can all agree that there's just too much Anna Wintour these days.
    And it has to be you who recognizes Anna Wintour. lol

It's not just about Anna Wintour.
    It's Anna & Karl Lagerfeld!

Oh I noticed Karl too. He's just too goofy not to like.

I would love to see some of nutmeg's art work.

I like the OP's wife's painting. I second what a bunch of others have said, would hang on wall and buy for reasonable price if I had some special relationship with the place or the painter. I have a small painting on my wall of the place where I grew up which probably wouldn't do anything for anyone else but has a lot of value to me personally. I also second this:
    OP, good on yer wife for painting, who gives a shit if it never sells.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Oh I noticed Karl too. He's just too goofy not to like.
    That's not George Washington and Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka?

It's the new Derelicte Collection.

Let me see if I can find some scans from a long, long time ago.
    Gotta be somewhere in my backup.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I think Nutmegs comments are spot on.

Very unlikely that OP's wife will ever make $$ in this industry. But you don't need the money, so that's great. Just be prepared to put out more financially for this hobby than you can ever expect to bring in.
    Hmm, like sailing, kiting, or skiing, right? Just giants drains into which one throws money.

She needs to find a patron, like this guy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I've dipped into the trying to sell photograpghy "art" over the last year or so and I'll just say that it is a tough road to making any money let alone actually making enough money to live on.

Of course this has been strictly a hobby so far.

I probably sold enough last year to cover equipment costs but I am still in the hole after having a bunch of large shots framed for display at a local establishment (none of which have sold ). I had a bit of success at a Christmastime craft fair and I'm going to try a couple of local craft fairs this summer/fall to see how it works out.

I'll say this. One thing I've learned is that the majority of people like the "recognizable" shot. Something that isn't familiar can be technically a great piece, but don't hold your breath selling it.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/