Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Would you buy this?

Wife is quitting her job and wants to start painting more. We don't really need the money, but it'd be sweet if she could sell some pieces.

This is her second attempt with oils, on like an 11x14 ish canvas. Appreciate general feedback.

Maybe if it had a few more happy little trees.

And a couple of birds.

life of the idle rich
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

My wife is an artist who has not had much luck selling. (She did sell one painting to friends and we spent the money taking them out to dinner.) Based on her work and looking at your wife's painting, I would say unlikely to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My wife is an artist who has not had much luck selling. (She did sell one painting to friends and we spent the money taking them out to dinner.) Based on her work and looking at your wife's painting, I would say unlikely to sell.
    My mom has had similar experience.

Selling hand painted pottery and such has been far more lucrative for her.

^^^ Way easier to sell folk art than fine art.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Skosh View Post
    Wife is quitting her job and wants to start painting more. We don't really need the money, but it'd be sweet if she could sell some pieces.

This is her second attempt with oils, on like an 11x14 ish canvas. Appreciate general feedback.

no, i wouldn't
    (doesn't mean someone else might not do it, tho)

tell her to just produce, produce, produce
    she will refine her technique and artistic intent as she makes more paintings
    the secret to creativity is to just make things and be unafraid to do it again, over and over
    my guess is her skill and vision (and even medium) will change as she matures into her own direction

My uncle sold his business he pretty much owned 100%, based on size minimum $50m my sister said she heard nine figures. Sold 1990 or so. Died had, two daughters, both of whom now have very attratictive youngish husbands, live in million dollar plus houses at the beach, one just floods facebook with crappy "art." good work if you can get it.
    wait what were we talking about?
    where did i put my beer
    "Can't you see..."

If she has the chance to pursue a dream I say go for it. You never know until you try. Where do you live? Small town? Big city? Could make a difference for her re: showings/art fairs/etc. Seems so much today turns on having a unique angle that hits a nerve with people. Maybe she could blog about her painting experience or incorporate a cause or animal to get people to take notice.

Re: painting - I like it.

I also like it, but if that painting was on a beer mug, I'd buy it.
    sigless.

it seems like the art that actually sells is stuff that is really unique in some way rather than just a realistic looking image... I know nothing about art, though, just would I or wouldn't I hang this on my wall.

I would only hang that on my wall if someone I liked painted it.

Art, paintings in particular are tough sells. Best advice I've heard is that paintings need to trigger an emotion. This piece doesn't do that for me. I don't profess to know that triggers emotions either. People also buy Thomas Kincade crap, so what do I know.

I would hang this on the wall if I had I diner or hotel that needing furnishing, or if I knew your wife personally. Might even throw down a little cash for it just to have 'local art' up on the walls, probably not more than $100 and it wouldn't be my first choice.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    it seems like the art that actually sells is stuff that is really unique in some way rather than just a realistic looking image.
    This is true unless the artist is exceptionally skilled.

Obviously she should paint whatever she wants... but a friend of mine who does some really nice work was inspired by a simple statement: don't paint something, just paint. I tend to find abstracts much more interesting, but of course that's just me so who the hell knows?

I think a good chunk of art sales is the artist selling themselves (not in the hookers and blow sense) to their market I have a good friend I London that isn't exceptionally talented other than in his ability to bullshit. He has stuff both in galleries and along the fences of Hyde park. He makes pretty amazing bank off of his work. People just love to say they "know" the artist personally.

Maybe the OP is hoping she'll give up this idea and was hoping that people would bash her painting?

If so, I stand prepared to help.

I'm an artist(drawing pogey ATM). I say it's good, maybe add more nekkidness. Ski for inspiration. It works

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Skosh View Post
    Would you buy this?
    Only if I had some deeply personal attachment to the location.
    Generally speaking just I wouldn't purchase a landscape to hang on my walls.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe the OP is hoping she'll give up this idea and was hoping that people would bash her painting?

What kind of maul do you choose for an 11x14 painting?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    What kind of maul do you choose for an 11x14 painting?
    Probably something in the 8-12 lb range. Cold forged head, of course.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Trying really hard to not sound like a dick here....this is pretty hard for me, but she should

A.) Practice a ton more. Like bang out another 50 of those.

B.) Go to the most rural farmland area craft fair where people don't know anything about technique and she could probably sell a few.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Well, I certainly appreciate the offer, but I'm in full support of this hobby. I think if she's able to work on it full time for 6 months to a year she'll be producing some pretty good shit. Even if none of it sells, I think they're pretty fucking rad, and they make great (and cheap) Christmas presents.

Jackson Pollock approach might work....

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Trying really hard to not sound like a dick here....this is pretty hard for me, but she should

A.) Practice a ton more. Like bang out another 50 of those.

B.) Go to the most rural farmland area craft fair where people don't know anything about technique and she could probably sell a few.
    I think this is some pretty good advice.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Art, paintings in particular are tough sells. Best advice I've heard is that paintings need to trigger an emotion. This piece doesn't do that for me. I don't profess to know that triggers emotions either. People also buy Thomas Kincade crap, so what do I know.

I would hang this on the wall if I had I diner or hotel that needing furnishing, or if I knew your wife personally. Might even throw down a little cash for it just to have 'local art' up on the walls, probably not more than $100 and it wouldn't be my first choice.
    kincade isnt crap

your just unrefined
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000