Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Oh yeah, meant to include in my Saturday post that this was my first time riding Millcreek Meadows. Huge props to whoever rediscovered and resurrected that trail, you are owed many beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh yeah, meant to include in my Saturday post that this was my first time riding Millcreek Meadows. Huge props to whoever rediscovered and resurrected that trail, you are owed many beers.
    Haven't ridden it yet, but I think you owe beers to Slyfox.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    The climb just about killed me
    It sure would be nice if there was a less sucky way to get to the top of Solitude. Oh well, keeps out the riffraff.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    Is that the new trail coming off big water heading down canyon, I rode that out and back today while I was up there. that's a sweet addition!
    No, it's the not-so-new-anymore route that runs from Crest to GWT, starting just past the top of the short climb north of the spine. Basically cuts the corner on the normal Crest-Millcreek GWT route. TF description indicates that it was a long-abandoned FS trail (#905) that someone(s) rediscovered and cleared. People have been riding it for a few years now and it showed up on TF this year. It had been on my to-do list for a while and I finally got around to checking it out.

I'm not aware of the trail you're referring to. I don't ride Big Water below the GWT junction, well, ever.

The new trail near the road is the first segment of the section which will go from the upper lot to Elbow Fork. It will be a great addition, avoiding pavement. It's rough right now, but with a little moisture and some traffic it will buff out.

That Millcreek Meadows trail is really fun. We hit Pinecone to Canyons earlier today and didn't see anyone on the entire crest until we got down to mid mountain, the crowds are finally letting up. Some great dirt out there too!

Finally got to see a badger! I was super jealous of my wife seeing three this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	244836

What is this new trail at DV? I don't know where it starts or ends, but this part is in-between deer crest and NCS. I'm standing on the short road portion of Deer Crest, where it pops out of the dark wooded upper area, for reference. Looks promising!

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	244837

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Finally got to see a badger! I was super jealous of my wife seeing three this summer.

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	244836

What is this new trail at DV? I don't know where it starts or ends, but this part is in-between deer crest and NCS. I'm standing on the short road portion of Deer Crest, where it pops out of the dark wooded upper area, for reference. Looks promising!

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	244837
    I know they've been working on a new blue flow trail from mid mountain down to Snow Park this summer. That must be part of it.

Trailside tonight for shred and bbq then TGR unReal? SirShredly is in. Im at 91.7% probable
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Trailside tonight for shred and bbq then TGR unReal? SirShredly is in. Im at 91.7% probable
    My tiny grom didn't sleep that well last night. She may not last long. But I will probably be there with my shitty dj bike and a pink Cleary Gecko.

We'll be there.

Rode up to shadow lake today. On the way down I did Johns for the first time in a few years. Still as tedious as I remembered. I was feeling brave, so I dropped into one of those dh trails off of Sweeney’s and was reminded I’m a beater. But no major wounds, so I’ll take it.

Name:	IMG_2919.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	246057

Name:	IMG_2921.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	246058

Checked out Kessler. Turned around at the lower mine and didn't make the summit due to time constraints, but honestly pretty much everything above the lawnmower crossing I had to walk the bike back down so I don't think I missed much. Below the lawnmower was a hoot. Same vein as Beartrap and Santaquin peak. 100% character building HAB going up, but worth it IMO. The final exit onto the Cardiff road is sporty.

Name:	IMG_20180902_112839743_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	246090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180902_120447960_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	246091Name:  IMG_20180902_121836044_HDR.jpeg
Views: 390
Size:  129.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180902_123721649_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	246093
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-07-2018 at 11:21 AM.

What rides at Powder Mountain? Have to kill time while my kid does his pre-race, and haven't spent time there before.
    Last edited by Canada1; 09-07-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    What rides at Powder Mountain? Have to kill time while my kid does his pre-race, and haven't spent time there before.
    Which trail is the race? I’m assuming it’s Brim and you’d need to ride somewhere else?

they only have like 16-18 miles of trails total, so ride them all?

Perfect. I have 2-3 hours so should be good for the whole enchilada!

Stoked....gonna ride Perry Cyn - Grizz - Ben Lomond - NS tomorrow. Then up to MT. Back next Saturday and riding the crest and something else Sunday. Might do Rat again Sunday. Any other suggestions for something that can be looped? Anyone else want to ride? Would have to be done around 5 or 6 to get to airport and pack up.

Perfect. I have 2-3 hours so should be good for the whole enchilada!
    Sorry, I was thinking it was a pre ride on race day and you'd have to stay off the course. I get it now.

Prepare to be underwhelmed. Brim is fun and kind of flowy but the rest isn't that great. Whoever is building there is the king of making trail that feels like uphill, with no downhill, either direction. And for whatever reason there are lots of unnecessary, tight switchbacks. But feel free to post back here and tell me I'm wrong, it's very possible I'm the jaded local.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Stoked....gonna ride Perry Cyn - Grizz - Ben Lomond - NS tomorrow. Then up to MT. Back next Saturday and riding the crest and something else Sunday. Might do Rat again Sunday. Any other suggestions for something that can be looped? Anyone else want to ride? Would have to be done around 5 or 6 to get to airport and pack up.
    Nice. Bad timing, I have family in town next weekend. Otherwise I'd meet up with you for sure.

Some friends did RAT last summer and said 033 around the west side of Timp and down into Provo canyon was in really bad shape. Really bad overgrowth, lots of washouts/blowouts, etc. I'm not sure if any of that has been cleaned up, but I doubt it.

Days Fork or Honeycomb loops would be good ones to check out. Or the Beartrap Fork DH off the crest if you've never done that.

ETA: For a more RAT level of effort, up Solitude, down Honeycomb, up Silver Fork, down Days would be a nice big day. Find the Daktari connector on Trailforks to avoid a lot of the highway getting from Spruces to Solitude.

Snowbird BMT is also a good one. If you start early you can climb it. Peruvian road is the other way up. Kinda sucky dirt road climb but it's a lot faster.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-08-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Damn I'm pretty tied up this weekend, maaay be able to sneak out next Sunday.

As Dan mentioned add in a Days and/or Honeycomb lap to the crest loop

I'll be up and around PCMR or DV next Saturday 9/15. HMU if you're up for a good time. I might be taking it "easy" on Saturday in preparation for Sunday's Tour 'De Suds debauchery. You should join us, it's a good time... and it'll get you to the airport on time.

https://mountaintrails.org/event-rac...tour-des-suds/

Bring your race kit.

Name:  IMG_20170917_130156737-01.jpeg
Views: 248
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20170917_123957805_HDR-01.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  266.2 KB

Name:	YDXJ0105.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	348.3 KB 
ID:	246679

Thanks guys we'll see how the week goes. Ended up doing the crest loop yesterday. Front brake failed completely 10mins into the ride so I had to bail down to a shop while 406 continued the climb up. Drove up to the top and met him at start of the crest. Course that meant I had to climb back up there at the end and it totally kicked my ass by that point. Good times didnt start again til 3 so finish in the dark.

Will do Perry to Ben lomond saturday

Good thing you switched up the plan! Front brake failure deep into the BL ride would have seriously sucked.

For sure and it was a strange one. It had pressure but a sustained pull for a second and the pressure would dissipate and lever would go all the way to the bar til there was zero brake. Bought a new front. Mechanic said fluid was going between the brake hose and outer sheath

Reply to Zion. I rode a bunch of trails, and enjoyed it. I’m four weeks in from breaking ribs so I was not real aggressive. I was amazed that it seems dryer than Park City. The trail builders there seem to be building for maximum distance, so lots of turns. It was fun, but a long drive for the amount of trail. I will do some research and find something off resort next time.