Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the WOW Trail is reasonably dry on the top section?
    I can't tell you first hand, but a buddy that I rode with yesterday said it is good to go and he had ridden it this week.
    Thanks Shane

Did a Jenni's - 2 step - CMG loop. A little busier than earlier in the week but not bad at all. Also went up 3 candles from the yurt until it got shitty. Probably only made it a mile. My legs and lungs are finally starting to feel good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-10 08.21.13 1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	207719

Spin Cycle is getting a bit overgrown (not the pictured part) so I think I'll wait until the late fall until I hit it again.

I'm glad it cooled off a bit this weekend. I didn't get a chance to chase the beav enough this spring.

Yah, cool weather is coming and after it rains it may be a good time to hit the new CC jump trail.

Name:	cabin.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	207770
    Part of my ride yesterday I did Team Big Bear to TG/Corvair. Not the top part of TG/Corvair in the meadow, but via Moose Knuckles (I think it's Moose Knuckles) to the entrance on the paved switchback. I should have taken Tour de Suds to Payroll though. Corvair had so many downed trees I couldn't figure out how to get across or even see the trail, and it was also pretty snowy, as anyone could have guessed.

Then like someone flicked a magical switch, Payroll was completely dry starting at the jumps in the trees and was dry all the way down. Some ice cold stream crossings in the bottom part woke me up. Overall great riding in PC lately.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Name:	2017-06-10 08.21.13 1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	207719

Spin Cycle is getting a bit overgrown (not the pictured part) so I think I'll wait until the late fall until I hit it again.
    Maybe I'm a sick man, but I like spin cycle in it's semi-overgrown state. So many of the trails here tend to be on the wide side of singletrack that it's a nice change of pace.

Spin Cycle has been overgrown for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Maybe I'm a sick man, but I like spin cycle in it's semi-overgrown state. So many of the trails here tend to be on the wide side of singletrack that it's a nice change of pace.
    You'd like Payson, then. Also, Diamond Fork.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-12-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Semi-overgrown but a blast to ride down in the spring and fall, but overgrown and slow-going in the summer IMO. Getting whipper branches to the nipples is like a shot of expresso on that trail. Yee-ouch.

Can't gorge yourself on huckleberries while climbing back up Village in spring or fall though. There's been a few rides where I've spent almost as much time eating as I did riding!

We have wild raspberries here. Nature's aid stations.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I need to slow down and eat the berries. I had no idea.

Deer Valley is scheduled to open up for biking this Saturday. Does anyone know what the progress on the new trail is? I think it is called Tsunami.
    Thanks Shane

I'm a little late posting this, but I did a Armstrong-MMT-Two Steps-Three Candles-Keystone-Shadow Lake ride on Sunday the 11th. It was pretty good until the last mile or so of the upper portion of the Shadow Lake Loop. There's still some huuuuuudge drifts and was a bunch of hike a bike. Worth it.

Worth It

So. Much. Snow.

Whiskey Decisions

There's a big headhunter down on the upper section of CMG.

Anyone been on the Flagstaff Loop?

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Also went up 3 candles from the yurt until it got shitty. Probably only made it a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I'm a little late posting this, but I did a Armstrong-MMT-Two Steps-Three Candles-Keystone-Shadow Lake ride on Sunday the 11th. It was pretty good until the last mile or so of the upper portion of the Shadow Lake Loop. There's still some huuuuuudge drifts and was a bunch of hike a bike. Worth it.
    Based on alias_rice, I didn't go up to Keystone on Sunday, like I wanted to. Dang. Either way I had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    Anyone been on the Flagstaff Loop?
    Upper Big Bear had big drifts on Sunday that were not going to melt fast, that's all I got. One more week of warm weather would help a lot though.

This morning: up Rob's, then up ridge connector to the crest. Very little snow; 1 short patch requiring walking. About 1/2 dozen downed trees that need to be cut. Headed left at crest junction for a bit, but still alot of snow in the trees up on top.

Name:	20170616_103908.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	208251

Name:	20170616_103247.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	208252

Name:	20170616_095025.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	208253

Pinecone might need a few more.... Months.

Mmmmm bacon

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Mmmmm bacon

Thanks for the whisky. We fought a grouse on Fat Lip. Trail was gtg. Black Forest had a bunch of deadfall at the top, we cut and moved a bunch of trees in the steep goods, then there were some bigguns that need a chainsaw down by TG.

Wasatch 2017

PC is really fun right now. Didn't see another person from the yurt up 3 candles down Apex and cmg. Good times.

Has anyone ridden the trails at high star ranch in Kamas? I'm wondering if it's worth the drive from slc.
    Last edited by alias_rice; 06-20-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Highstar Ranch is definitely worth the drive. Only rode the lower stuff because of an event on Saturday but even the lower stuff is really, really fun. Derek did a great job out there from what I've seen. Also, there's a bar/restaurant at the trailhead with a great patio, good beer selection and decent food. Made for a pretty nice saturday afternoon.

Flagstaff Loop is dry but has some trees down.

Rode Suds>boulder>moosebones>Payroll>little chief>speedbag>gravedigger. A few head grabbers on payroll and speedbag, but the rest is good.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

To escape the heat yesterday I rode AF Canyon. Parked at the Summit did Ridge 157 to Mud Springs. Mud Springs was, well muddy for the first couple 100 yards, which required some hike a bike, but otherwise it was a great ride. Such a fun downhill. We ran into moto's at the bottom near the reservoir, but otherwise didn't see anyone on the trail. Mosquito's were out in force, so if you go up there where bug spray.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Highstar Ranch is definitely worth the drive. Only rode the lower stuff because of an event on Saturday but even the lower stuff is really, really fun. Derek did a great job out there from what I've seen. Also, there's a bar/restaurant at the trailhead with a great patio, good beer selection and decent food. Made for a pretty nice saturday afternoon.

Flagstaff Loop is dry but has some trees down.
    Good to know. I think I'll shoot out there Saturday and give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I'll second this. The trails are rad at highstar ranch, super flowly downhills, easy climbs. I hope they expand the trail system as it would be fun to go to the top of the mountain that the trails sit on, or just have more singletrack as I think total trail length hits around 16 miles all trails combined. Derek and sagebrush trails do a kick ass job!