Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The new trail next to vertigo is looking like it could be really fun. It also appears to cross vertigo though? Not totally sure why they would have 2 high speed, DH only trails cross each other mid way down.
    But Draper City is well known for making great decisions regarding trails.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    But Draper City is well known for making great decisions regarding trails.
    Heh. I'm still baffled that they made Clarks uphill only and kept Canyon Hollow bi-directional. Hardly anyone climbs Clarks, and people who descend Canyon Hollow should be slapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Heh. I'm still baffled that they made Clarks uphill only and kept Canyon Hollow bi-directional. Hardly anyone climbs Clarks, and people who descend Canyon Hollow should be slapped.
    Pretty sure the trails manager hates bikers. I know for a fact that the chick who patrols the trails hates bikers.

I've heard that too, which is just bizarre considering all the trails are seemingly purpose-built for biking.

That's usually how I go up and definitely lean towards that now that it's uphill only. I'm not sure I've ever once come down Clarks, just doesn't seem like it would be that much fun going down. Canyon hollow as DH only would be really fun, ghost falls should be that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I rode Vertigo again this morning and I can confirm that it absolutely does cross Vertigo. And the crossing is on one of the little mounds that I guess are jumps. It seems like a bad idea.
    Criss-cross crash!

Name:  Hot-Wheels-Criss-Cross-Crash-d3x3naobitp.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  33.3 KB

I climb Clarks every time if I'm on that side. More direct. It did suck ass as a DH, just straight and a bit steep.

As far as the new flow trails crossing, that sounds pretty retarded. Unless you jump OVER the other riders, that would be cool.

Did the MPT/GWT/Moose loop today. Primo conditions up there except the creek at the bottom of the Moose is ragin. Was out for almost three hours and missed the torrential downpour by literally five minutes. Rained HARD at East Canyon for about 30 mins. So glad I wasn't caught out in that!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I didn't mean to imply that Clarks was a good descent, and I too enjoy grunting up it. But, IME probably 75% of people climb Canyon Hollow since it's an easier grade. If you're going to make a trail up-only the one with more uphill traffic makes the most sense to me.

I never have ridden Moose. There's a couple threads with directions on MTBR so I'm pretty sure I could find it. I'm actually quite impressed that it's not on Trailforks. I should really do it this year, that and Terror.

In case anyone wants to see some carnage, Levitate (the new jump trail that crosses Vertigo) opens today. They do have some signs up on each trail prior to the intersection, but I think there will be plenty of close calls and a couple of collisions.

Levitate needs some water on it. that dirt looks way to loose.
    Thanks Shane

I was at the top for all of 30 seconds before seeing a guy stuff his face into the landing of the first jump.

Be careful. It's super loose and the jumps are kind of over shooty already.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I was at the top for all of 30 seconds before seeing a guy stuff his face into the landing of the first jump.

Be careful. It's super loose and the jumps are kind of over shooty already.
    Ha! Well, I hope the guy was ok. It seems like it wouldn't be that much more work/money to run a water truck along the road next to the trail and soak that thing and let it set for a couple of days before sending riders down. But, I have zero experience with things like construction/grading so maybe a water truck would be cost prohibitive.

In any case I think I will let it get ridden in for a couple of weeks before I give it a try
    Thanks Shane

There were approximately 763 shuttle vehicles parked at the bottom of Vertino and Levigay today. Seriously?!! Isn't that like an 800 v/ft climb?

547 feet and about 17 minutes for my slow ass. who's got time for that? can't wait for my e-bike to finally show up.

I didn't mean to imply that Clarks was a good descent, and I too enjoy grunting up it. But, IME probably 75% of people climb Canyon Hollow since it's an easier grade. If you're going to make a trail up-only the one with more uphill traffic makes the most sense to me.

I never have ridden Moose. There's a couple threads with directions on MTBR so I'm pretty sure I could find it. I'm actually quite impressed that it's not on Trailforks. I should really do it this year, that and Terror.
    Moose trail is on there now, dubbed "Moose (knuckle)". It's pretty easy to find if you know what to look for. Pretty fun trail. Terror Ridge too, really like that one, especially to add a bit of variety in the area.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Vertigo was scary loose when it opened last year, so I have no plans to check out Levitate for now. Unless you are riding with little kids shuttling those is definitely dumb. My 7 y.o. can beat the shuttle vehicle to the bottom, so adults at full speed can probably beat a driver by minutes. When you add that to the drive time it's barely faster to shuttle (possibly slower if you're a fast climber), and only if you have a dedicated driver. Retrieving a vehicle immediately makes it a false economy.

It's yurt season bitches.

Last edited by YourMomJustCalled; 06-05-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Did a quick Armstrong spiro loop today. I was surprised just how dry everything was. I wanted to see how far pinecone was rideable but didn't have time. Has anyone ridden up there? I'm guess still a lot of deadfall.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Did a quick Armstrong spiro loop today. I was surprised just how dry everything was. I wanted to see how far pinecone was rideable but didn't have time. Has anyone ridden up there? I'm guess still a lot of deadfall.
    There's a ton of deadfall about a half of a mile past the intersection with Mid Mountain. Tommy Two Steps had one snow patch and a few deadfall, but was otherwise good. Mojave had a small snow patch near the top but the rest was dusty. From the yurt, it looked pretty snowy on 3 Candles.

This was as of last Sunday. I bet a few of those snow patches have melted, but I doubt the trees have been cleared. Pinecone is usually the last trail that they clear of deadfall.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Shit is melting fast! There was a few snow patches on armstrong 4 days ago before the HAM turnoff, so I presuming getting to MM then was a no-go. HAM had some big patches on it. Now Armstrong is rideable to MM, I'm impressed. But Pinecone has to have a ton of snow on it up high.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Shit is melting fast! There was a few snow patches on armstrong 4 days ago before the HAM turnoff, so I presuming getting to MM then was a no-go. HAM had some big patches on it. Now Armstrong is rideable to MM, I'm impressed. But Pinecone has to have a ton of snow on it up high.
    Yeah. Those switchbacks in the pines up top hold snow for-fucking-ever.

This was taken this week last year.... I can't imagine how much snow is in the trees after the season we've had.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmg.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	207667

CMG descent with only bottom bracket high grass? And not one person on it going up or down?? (Kisses fingers like a French chef....) Moi!! Magnifique!!!!!

CMG descent with only bottom bracket high grass? And not one person on it going up or down?? (Kisses fingers like a French chef....) Moi!! Magnifique!!!!!
    Doesn't get much better than that. Ludicrous speed!

Did a quick run up Mueller today. Good lord that has to be the busiest trail along the wasatch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cmg.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	207667

Because of this post I decided on armstrong-mm-cmg today. My experience was similar.

Can anyone tell me if the WOW Trail is reasonably dry on the top section?
    Gravity Junkie