Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Meh, it's a dirt road, the views are great, and you never see anyone.
    True, it's not bad. Unless it's hot as balls then it's miserable.

That's cool. What do you recommend riding down there? I checked it out once two years ago and the maze of unmarked intersections got confusing fast. Ought to be easier now with the Trailforks app, but it still seems like you need to know that network really well in order to piece together a good ride.
    im usually following my buddy but here goes an option that I think we did and was pretty awesome:
    park at the bst firing range lot.
    ride up shooter
    then Mr. Hyde
    to Crank
    left on Buckle
    left and down Lament to
    right on prayer circle up to 3 amigos
    up GWT to Machu Picchu
    left on Ouch to Taj Majal
    to right on Alta Ditch
    Johnson Hole GWT spur loop if wanted
    then i can't remember where the rest took us.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Page 3? Up here in the north, sight lines are non existent due to the abundance of growth from the wet spring we've had. The dirt is great though.
    You know if Lewis Peak is ready yet? I seem to remember that one usually dries out kinda early

Anybody ridden the newer system up in Kamas. Seeing lots of pros raging about it.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Anybody ridden the newer system up in Kamas. Seeing lots of pros raging about it.
    heard it is fun for flow. pros raging though?

Were they going to climb up all of Jacobs? That would be lunacy. There's no reason to ride down the lower Jacobs switchbacks, though. When you hit that spot stay right past the carsonite sign with the "No ATV" symbol on it. It turns back onto the spine and continues on down to the Ghost TH. Some fun jumps and a spicy off-camber gully section, it's a hoot. Marshalolson clued me into that way some years ago and I've been forever thankful.
    Yeah, crazy huh. I don't get it. I haven't taken the "no ATV" way in years, will have to hang a right that way next time.
    Keep it unclipped

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    heard it is fun for flow. pros raging though?
    I dunno I guess there's a bunch of new stuff built this spring though?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    You know if Lewis Peak is ready yet? I seem to remember that one usually dries out kinda early
    There were a couple of avoidable snow patches last week on the spur to the peak but probably gone by now.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP View Post
    Yeah, crazy huh. I don't get it.
    Nuts. That reminds of something that happened to Liz last year. She rode up on two gals she knew who were riding UP Rush somewhere in the vicinity of the step up. Despite her telling them that they were going to killed they didn't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation. I can't wrap my brain around how they managed to ride past the "Wrong Way" signs.

But Corner Canyon area has a very high percentage of clueless newbie bikers. I frequently run in to people who don't know when to yield, going the wrong way, riding muddy conditions, etc. more than any place I ride. Not complaining, it just seems like a good, close place for people to learn.

Fully agree, but that is next-level cluelessness and obliviousness to ride right past the Rush wrong-way signage. These gals weren't completely inexperienced, either. Anyway, back to things have actually happened or will happen in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Where have you seen that? I'll likely check them out this summer, they start very close to my in-laws' house.

Well shit, pour one out for another one lost. We had some great times together but it seems like you're too overrun with doggie walkers these days anyway...

Goddamn it. Taking out the middle part of a long fun downhill is a bummer. No more Ridge Connector -> MM -> Robs -> Rosbud or Collins. And Rosebud downhill is kinda awkward to get to now, and will have a bunch of uphill riders when it never had any riders.....

On the other hand, Robs is a big hiker-conflict area.

Fully agree, but that is next-level cluelessness and obliviousness to ride right past the Rush wrong-way signage. These gals weren't completely inexperienced, either. Anyway, back to things have actually happened or will happen in 2017.

Where have you seen that? I'll likely check them out this summer, they start very close to my in-laws' house.
    I think Ryan means 'raging' as in liking it. Everyone I know loves the trail.

That sucks about Rob's. The sensible thing to do now would be to extend Rob's to MM and make Ambush downhill only, but I doubt that will happen.

Anyone know the legal status of e-bikes in Corner Canyon? Climbing Brocks last night I got passed by two chubby checkers on fat bikes. I get passed all the time going up but I knew something was fishy when these two went by me and confirmed it when I hit the corral a couple minutes later. I held off on getting indignant though. Man, the last thing CC needs is e-bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think Ryan means 'raging' as in liking it. Everyone I know loves the trail.
    I got that, I was still curious to read what people were saying.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-31-2017 at 03:14 PM.

That sucks about Rob's. The sensible thing to do now would be to extend Rob's to MM and make Ambush downhill only, but I doubt that will happen.

Anyone know the legal status of e-bikes in Corner Canyon? Climbing Brocks last night I got passed by two chubby checkers on fat bikes. I get passed all the time going up but I knew something was fishy when these two went by me and confirmed it when I hit the corral a couple minutes later. I held off on getting indignant though. Man, the last thing CC needs is e-bikes.

I have the same question about e-bikes in CC. That is a big grey area. I believe (but could be wrong) all the trails are designated as "non-motorized". An electric motor is still a motor.

On the other hand, as annoying as it is to get past by a couple of fatties who don't "earn it", how does that really hurt my enjoyment?

I really don't know where I stand on e-bikes. I would be interested in what the collective thinks.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I really don't know where I stand on e-bikes. I would be interested in what the collective thinks.
    we can either be laissez faire and let them take over like in Europe or be hard-assed Americans and say "fuck off my trails" and hopefully the ridicule will squash the trend.

AND

i've seen plenty of overweights putting in effort the old fashioned way.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    we can either be laissez faire and let them take over like in Europe or be hard-assed Americans and say "fuck off my trails" and hopefully the ridicule will squash the trend.

AND

i've seen plenty of overweights putting in effort the old fashioned way.
    Well, if it is a patriotic duty, I guess I better be a hard ass about it.

And I give huge credit to an overweight person (or really anyone) that is willing to suffer for their fun.
    Thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by cpj.slc View Post
    I believe (but could be wrong) all the trails are designated as "non-motorized". An electric motor is still a motor.
    Apparently a bill passed the state legislature last year that creates a unique designation for ebikes and explicitly allows them on "recreational trails." Local land managers can prohibit their use, as has been done for PC and BLM/USPS trails, but a standard non-motorized designation does not prohibit ebikes. There has to be specific signage saying "No ebikes." I've seen such signage on BLM trails but not in CC that I can recall.

The line between an ebike and an electric motorcycle is only going to get blurrier and blurrier. A line needs to be drawn and the logical place to draw it seems to be where motorized access is currently allowed.

http://www.cyclingutah.com/advocacy/...c-bike-issues/

I saw a kid on an electric dirt bike and full face ride down rush last weekend. Was kind of bothered by it until I passed him halfway down, and I'm not riding very fast right now (3 months out of acl surgery). He was just clueless and I felt no need to ruin my mood getting angry with him. My rule for beaters on bikes and skis: if you're not good enough to get around them your not good enough to bitch and if you're good enough to get around them who the fuck cares about them being slow

I have seen dozens of e-bikes in Corner Canyon my last few rides there.....

Draper land manager has said repeatedly that ebikes are kosher in CC for the time being.

The new trail next to vertigo is looking like it could be really fun. It also appears to cross vertigo though? Not totally sure why they would have 2 high speed, DH only trails cross each other mid way down.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The new trail next to vertigo is looking like it could be really fun. It also appears to cross vertigo though? Not totally sure why they would have 2 high speed, DH only trails cross each other mid way down.
    I rode Vertigo again this morning and I can confirm that it absolutely does cross Vertigo. And the crossing is on one of the little mounds that I guess are jumps. It seems like a bad idea.
    Thanks Shane

Wow, that's nuts. You would think there has to be some kind of flyover in the final plan.