Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Are there any restrictions on bikes in the Uintah’s. Specifically, can I ride the crystal lake trail head trails?
    Yeah, basically everything on the west side off 150 is marked as closed to bikes. I can't remember if Crystal Lake TH is marked as such, but the Notch Mountain and Lofty Lake Loop THs definitely are so it's a safe assumption that Crystal is, too.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Some interesting news:

"Earlier today the MTF crew broke ground on second major trail project of the summer- a new directional down trail from the Crescent/Yurt area to Mid Mtn. We expect this project to be completed in 3-4 weeks, with the intent being to provide an alternative connection to Mid Mtn and to free up Tommy's Two Step to be designated as "Uphill Only" for bikes."
    So, they're going to open this thing up when it's a fresh cut strip of unconsolidated duff and loose rocks? This has been Draper's MO for years and I don't get it at all. It didn't go well with the Snowbird BMT either. Why don't they cut these things in in the fall, let them sit over the winter and open them up in the spring?

Speaker of Draper, anyone know anything about that hand-built old school-style downhill trail that was supposed to go in near Jacobs Ladder?

Wow! It was hero dirt this morning after the rain last night. I had to be at work pretty early, so I just did a quick lap in Draper on Rush, but the corners were grippy and everything was rolling fast. Amazing what just a little bit of rain can do.
    Thanks Shane

So finally got my bike back after 3 weeks without and decided to run up to PowMow for a quick ride. Holy deeeep moon dust. Is PC fairing any better?

In other news that probably belongs in the rant thread, Powder has built about 30 miles of new trails in the last few years. 7 of those miles are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So finally got my bike back after 3 weeks without and decided to run up to PowMow for a quick ride. Holy deeeep moon dust. Is PC fairing any better?

In other news that probably belongs in the rant thread, Powder has built about 30 miles of new trails in the last few years. 7 of those miles are fun.
    Not really. It's pretty dusty on anything except the shadiest and least-traveled trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Not really. It's pretty dusty on anything except the shadiest and least-traveled trails.
    Snowbasin was fairing much better than powder was, I’d say it’s typical July dust conditions there. Powder was seriously next level dust, 4 plus inches deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Yeah, basically everything on the west side off 150 is marked as closed to bikes.
    I haven't personally ridden them yet but I know there's some trails around Shingle Creek/Norway flats area. Some of the go-ride guys are up there fairly regularly according to strava so I have a feeling it might be worth exploring.

I've been meaning to check out the Bench Creek/Little South Fork trails for a while based on recommendations from springsproject. Once you go east of that stuff and Shingle Creek though you start seeing no-bikes markers at all the trailheads that aren't open to motorized use.

A couple local kids took 1st and 2nd in the 11-12 Junior category at the USAC DH National Championships over the weekend. Pretty rad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	681CC25C-E4AD-4B5F-A611-FC38B919C112.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	242407

Name:	F6916E4E-786F-4FF4-ABB6-CC7EB1E3C60F.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	242408

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Gonna hit the Grizzly Peak-Northern Skyline traverse over Ben Lomond on Sunday. Anyone game?

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Gonna hit the Grizzly Peak-Northern Skyline traverse over Ben Lomond on Sunday. Anyone game?
    Sounds fun but I'll be up north.

I'm tempted but I don't want to hold anyone back. Is it 4k of climbing out and back? Or a loop?

I'm tempted but I don't want to hold anyone back. Is it 4k of climbing out and back? Or a loop?
    I am tempted also, but I'm riding with my 3 year old on Sunday. The Nugget really put things together this week on her Gecko.

Rode up Jenny’s and 2 step to the yurt, and down Mojave. Started at noon and it was hotter than hell, though less dusty than I was expecting.

Name:	IMG_2730.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	242577

The dirt portion is a 24-mile p2p with 6k of climbing. I usually make it a loop by riding 89 from North Ogden to Perry. That adds 14 miles of road riding, but the first third is downhill and the rest is mostly dead flat. Takes about an hour at a relaxed pace and you're warmed up for when the fun starts in Perry. We could shuttle that part, though. I don't set any records on climbs, and the first time I did it I was not in great shape and JTrue, beaterdit and others spent a lot of time waiting on me so I'm happy to pay that forward. It's a tough climb for sure. With the exception of a couple brief grade reversals you are going uphill for 5-6 hours straight.

The descent off Ben Lomond is all time. 10 miles and 5k of virtually uninterrupted downhill. There's one spot where you go uphill for about 20 vertical feet, tops.

The dirt portion is a 24-mile p2p with 6k of climbing. I usually make it a loop by riding 89 from North Ogden to Perry. That adds 14 miles of road riding, but the first third is downhill and the rest is mostly dead flat. Takes about an hour at a relaxed pace and you're warmed up for when the fun starts in Perry. We could shuttle that part, though. I don't set any records on climbs, and the first time I did it I was not in great shape and JTrue, beaterdit and others spent a lot of time waiting on me so I'm happy to pay that forward. It's a tough climb for sure. With the exception of a couple brief grade reversals you are going uphill for 5-6 hours straight.

The descent off Ben Lomond is all time. 10 miles and 5k of virtually uninterrupted downhill. There's one spot where you go uphill for about 20 vertical feet, tops.
    Damn, I'm gonna be outta town, been wanting to do this ride this year. The last time I did it I rode it as a loop by taking BST north from the bottom of N Ogden Divide and eventually out to the hwy, it avoided a lot of the pavement but would probably add some time to your day.

SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

Oh Man. One of my favorite all time rides.

With a shuttle from N. Ogden to Perry, it's around 6200 feet of climbing and 25 miles point to point. Add on whatever else if you don't have a shuttle. Awesome ride!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Is October too late for this ride?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Most likely will be good to go with the way the last couple falls have been. But as you know, snow happens in the mountains.

I also need to do this ride. Been on my list for a long time. But Sunday is my only day off with the wife this week and this isn't her idea of "fun."

I'd love to ride with ya someday, but unfortunately I'll have to pass on this. I want to do a long ride on Sunday but that's a bit much for me. I don't think I've done more than 3k in a ride yet this year or climbed more than 1.5? hours at a time, 6K will wipe me out, especially in this heat. Sad, but such is my adult life with two young kids. (OK, I ride lifts too much too) I'll stick to my plan on doing all of mid mountain Sunday, and wish I was doing something out there instead! Have fun, take pics, etc.

Makes me want to do just Ben Lomond as an out-and-back next week just to see partly what i was missing.

I'd love to ride with ya someday, but unfortunately I'll have to pass on this. I want to do a long ride on Sunday but that's a bit much for me. I don't think I've done more than 3k in a ride yet this year or climbed more than 1.5? hours at a time, 6K will wipe me out, especially in this heat. Sad, but such is my adult life with two young kids. (OK, I ride lifts too much too) I'll stick to my plan on doing all of mid mountain Sunday, and wish I was doing something out there instead! Have fun, take pics, etc.

Makes me want to do just Ben Lomond as an out-and-back next week just to see partly what i was missing.
    I'd be down to do it again in the fall. If you can loop the crest from the canyons and feel like you have more in the tank you can handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by springsproject View Post
    Damn, I'm gonna be outta town, been wanting to do this ride this year. The last time I did it I rode it as a loop by taking BST north from the bottom of N Ogden Divide and eventually out to the hwy, it avoided a lot of the pavement but would probably add some time to your day.
    Sam told me about that one, that adds another 2k vert! I should try it once at least. I don't mind the road that much though. Tunes or a podcast and it flies right by.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Good chance it will still be dry, but no guarantees.

I’ve done the point-to-point shuttle from North Ogden to Perry Canyon a bunch of times. For the loop, there’s the Willard Extension segment of the BST which limits the road ride to just a few miles. I’ve also been told it’s now possible to ride the whole thing as a loop on dirt but that might be just a rumor. The loop is something like 40 miles with 9K of climbing/descending.

Locals say the Perry Canyon trail was cut by a guy who was told by his doctor that he would die soon if he didn’t get in shape so he built the trail. If riding uphill in Perry it helps to have a rear tire that works well in loose conditions.

When in season, the fruit and vegetable stands along Highway 89 are ridiculously good. The best one is just south of Brigham City so it might be worth the short drive north.

WHat's the best way to do the Days Fork Loop? I'm thinking Brighton to Mary's to Twin Lakes, beyond that I guess it's a double track climb to the ridgeline?

Looks like some people go up Solitude via road, that doesn't look great.

And Days fork down is better than Silver?

They’re both awesome and worth doing. I usually park at Spruces and start on the singletrack in the subdivision jus above the campground. Hit the Soli singletrack till it tops out and then the access road from there. It’s a grunt. I’ve never cleaned it personally but I know someone who has.

Honeycomb to Silver is awesome too.