Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasatch 2017

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Some of the comments from the crew, however...might not reflect so well with the land managers and decision makers in attendance.
    There was continual referrals to the closing of Canyons Bike Park and how that was going to burden the freeriders. “DV is gonna be so crowded, so could the FS subsidize a bike park in a BCC resort?”
    “DV season passes are so expensive, could this BCC park have cheaper passes?”
    “In Canada the government legitimizes all the illegal trails, it’s great.”
    Ugh. Way to be on point, guys. I swear that trail will get closed to bikes one day.

There should be more trails in BCC, though. A corner canyon-esque trail network at Brighton could be really rad.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Vail is not going to change their decision on that Meadows zone, so trying to save Rally Cat and anything else up there is wasted breath and energy.
    Those were fun trails, but the Canyons bike park was probably overall the worst bike park I’ve ever ridden. So short. Slowest lifts on the planet, limited access to the base area, extremely limited good natural terrain.
    Folks are better off engaging with DV to continue building better stuff
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna rally the troops to save it, I'm just surprised no one else likes it. I rode it one day last year, then two days later I was riding Northstar, and it made me appreciate how well done it was. So much fun in such a small space, with good takeoffs for the most part. I feel bad for the trailbuilding crew who dialed it in over the years. To lose a trail like that in the Wasatch is a bummer, what else compares? Wish I rode it more now.

And thanks for all the work Joe, forgot to say this.

No worries man, thanks for the thanks! It’s great to see more riders show up and get involved - MTB (and trail running and don walking)is blowing up on the Wasatch Front and we desperately need more trail mileage. I’m really looking forward to the SLC Foothill trail plan moving into action.
    My initial impression of Canyons was created when I moved back to SLC 6 years ago - after riding Keystone, Trestle and Sol Vista(when it was good and scary) a whole bunch. It’s gotten a little better with the DH trail - at least you can ride a DH bike to the bottom with wanting to kill yourself.
    It appears that VR is going to pursue golf at the Canyons, I’m not sure that large scale bike park syncs up with that usage for the base area. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with PCMR. VR has built some fun stuff at Vail over the past years, the general vibe on MTBEU that VR doesn’t care about bikes is funny.

I'm in bachelor mode next weekend and thinking about a Moab or Grand Junction trip if the weather cooperates. If anyone is interested let me know.

I’ll likely be in GJ riding, hit me up!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Hit Thunder Mountain today. Clear and dry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	236291

Are the red stickers new this spring or last fall?

Anyways, PC riding is pretty dam good right now. Flying Dog has been dry for about 10? days, mid-mountain is (rumor has it) all clear from logs (but with snow patches) from DV to the canyons, and riding last night from Armstrong to CMG was in the 50s : felt like fall riding because of all the aspens with no leaves and the cool temps. Fun, fun.

Any word on if canyons gondola will let you take bikes up this year? Want to ride mid mountain back to the house w the gromettes

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Are the red stickers new this spring or last fall?
    Glory glory hallelujah!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Anyways, PC riding is pretty dam good right now. Flying Dog has been dry for about 10? days, mid-mountain is (rumor has it) all clear from logs (but with snow patches) from DV to the canyons, and riding last night from Armstrong to CMG was in the 50s : felt like fall riding because of all the aspens with no leaves and the cool temps. Fun, fun.
    Good to know. Payson is probably GTG or really close too then.

Arm-MM-Redbull was fantastic Wednesday, 8 small snow or mud patches, one large patch at CMG/MM intersection (typical).Arm-MM-Spiro is dry.

Yes, Red Pine will still be doing bike haul as far as I know.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

anyone know about the park city law that states if you destroy an established bike trail you have to cut a new trail that is of equal length? Is it a city law or summit county law? and does this law apply to the canyons bike park?

I know that this law has saved spin cycle and was key for mid mountain when they begun the colonies development. Just wondering if this law should be applied to the canyons bike park?

Oh yeah, a tip of the hat to the fully spandexed XC racer dude who was sending shit at I Street last night on the 29er race bike with his seat allll the way up. That was impressive, seriously.

Was he on a Cannondale? That sounds like Bart steez

I don't remember, honestly. There can't be too many guys around fitting that description.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    anyone know about the park city law that states if you destroy an established bike trail you have to cut a new trail that is of equal length? Is it a city law or summit county law? and does this law apply to the canyons bike park?

I know that this law has saved spin cycle and was key for mid mountain when they begun the colonies development. Just wondering if this law should be applied to the canyons bike park?
    I dunno, but thanks for the reminder about Spin Cycle. Fun annual spring ride for me before it gets overgrown. It was a blast last night.

Park City was all time yesterday. Got up around 3:30 after shuttling kids in the morning and it was cool, cloudy, hero dirt and no one around. Rode Jenni's, Redbull, Armstrong, MM, CMG and outside of the parking lot saw four riders and a runner. About as good as it gets up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180520_172838198_HDR.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	236574

You're killing me, Smalls.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Everyone seems to ride late morning to mid-day on weekends, or they are all at Corner Canyon. I usually ride around 4-5pm and yeah, I just saw one dog walker on my short Spin Cycle ride.

I think a lot of people may have also bugged out due to the weather. I was having second thoughts as I drove through a torrential downpour over Parley's summit. The rain had stopped by the time I passed Jeremy, but when I got to the parking lot you could see that it was still hammering over there. Looking at the radar I decided that I was probably going to stay in the rain shadow and went for it. But, it was cold, blustery and spitting rain all the way up Jenni's and it felt like it could unload at any moment. The pic is deceiving, the sun didn't come out until I was almost halfway up Armstrong.

Fuuuuck! I was nerding out on the radar and bailed. Dammit!
    And yup, 4pm Sat and Sun is the ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A corner canyon-esque trail network at Brighton could be really rad.
    Removing all the rocks would be really expensive.

Best weekend of riding in PC I have had in a long time. Nearly empty (Packed armstrong up sunday ~115pm) but other than that, insane dirt, cool temps, and enough precip to make the trails so damned good.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Removing all the rocks would be really expensive.
    Heh, hence the "-esque" part. A one-way up trail leading to 2-3 down-only trails that take full advantage of all the great granite up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Hit Thunder Mountain today. Clear and dry
    Hit thunder mtn over the weekend. Now that's a trail that lives up to the hype, thanks for putting that idea in my head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Worth the drive. Watch for horses, but beautiful.