Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's your favorite DPS version?

DPS has gone through a lot of innovation, from the Tabla Rasa up through the Spoons and Special Eds or Alchemists.

In my book, they're the folks that really got the big honker fat boards on the map.

I've skied a number of the versions of the Lotus 120, the black ones, the red ones with more rocker and the blue spooned ones, and the Wailer RP112. I have not skied other models including the 138 or Cassiar variants.

I ski the red ones a little , vintage about 2011 in a 190cm pure,and I find that the extra rocker works well in deeper, softer snow. It's a great ski for touring.

But as an all round ski, I really prefer the black ones because of the longer effective edge.

The bigger rocker in the newer lotus 12* profile helps engage the turn more readily, but doesn't provide the platform for the deep bend I like to put into the ski.

So for my nickel, I'd love it if DPS could produce that profile again, the one from the black ones with bamboo sidewalls with a little less rocker.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I will say one thing: They know how to market a product.....
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yeah^^ we had the very 1st 5 pairs of the 112 wailers in the narth back when you give someone money and the ski shows up 2 months later, guys would come up to you in the lift line to ask if they were really that good? Oh yeah man ! but of course its just a shinny Lamborghini yellow ski

I shot my buddy who owns a store down east a link, he said "wow" orders 16 pairs sells em to all the doctors & lawyers, told me that of all the high end skis & bikes he had ever brought in, DPS was the single biggest product ever

I like the 112 wailers but I love the red hybrid 120's so I picked up another pair in the longer length, the SN sez 2011- xxxxx so i am assuming they are 2011?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

2nd the DPS honkerization vote for fat acceptance.

I've skied:
    (188?) Wailer 105 with black topsheet, bamboo sidewalls.
    190 Lotus 120 Hydrid (red)
    190 Lotus 120 Pure Flex2 (red)
    190 Lotus 120 Pure Flex3 (red)
    200 Lotus 120 Pure Flex2 (red)
    189 Lotus 120 Spoon
    202 Lotus 138 Pure Rocker 2

The Wailers were amazingly light, fast edge to edge, a little jittery on hard/mixed snow.
    All the red Lotii (?) were of the same vintage and awesome in the deep.
    I preferred the 190 PPure Flex 3.
    The Spooned 120 was fun, but different (buttery nose, take no prisoners tail).
    The only skis mentioned above that I still have are the 202 138s (R2).
    Only have four days on them, but it was a 4' in 4 days cycle that was off the hook.
    Ended up on the Lhasa Fat instead of the Lotus 120.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I think the Oxford Latin Dictionary and my old Latin teacher, Ms. Sturr (not making that up) would have gingerly suggested Loti.
    Although if construed as nominative vocative accusative, evidently Lota is the proper declension.

Red 2012 ish 190cm 120 hybrid.....best pow ski ever.

Clearly the red ones. I've tried a few versions, but the ones I keep going back to are the 115RPC's. Red special editions of course.

I'm a huge fan of pintails and feel that spooning the tip is a really interesting way of reducing the one downside to the design (tip can be hooky if not paying attention sufficiently). Anyone in southwest Bc have a spooned lotus 120 I can try?

When its deep the tip is completely out of the snow

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...25&oe=595F1790

I don't see the point of the spoon ?

I am definatley liking the pintail design
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Please note that the following comment does not apply to the esteemed xxx-er. That man rips, is hardcore to the bone an quite frankly, I aspire to be him one day. Having said that, what version of the DPS do I like best;

In my neck of the woods anyway, I like all the models because when I see them on someones feet I know that that individual is a financially successful yet slow poser of a skier who will not in any way compete with me for pow.

There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Please note that the following comment does not apply to the esteemed xxx-er. That man rips, is hardcore to the bone an quite frankly, I aspire to be him one day. Having said that, what version of the DPS do I like best;

In my neck of the woods anyway, I like all the models because when I see them on someones feet I know that that individual is a financially successful yet slow poser of a skier who will not in any way compete with me for pow.

There I said it.
    There's a reason they're called Dentist's Powder Skis.

Though I live in Utah... which is weird cause, well because Utah. But also because it actually takes a second of scanning the rest of a dude's gear after seeing some DPS skis to figure out if they're good or not.

have owned:
    200cm 120 flex 3 black with bamboo sidewalls
    200cm 120 red pure (last year before spoon)
    190cm RPC 112 (pure blew up, replaced with pure 3)
    190cm RP 112 pure (oriignal yellow bannana)
    19xcm 138 original white with red stripe

Of them all, Lotus 120 for the win. As much as I liked the black ones, the red ones are easier to ski, slarve a bit more and don't give me carbon splinters. I liked the fact that they gave it more rocker than the black ones.
    138 was a riot in pow, but not versatile enough. Would def. get a newer 138 if I was heli skiing or regularly skiing backcountry powder.
    RP was fun, slarvy, carvy, but too floppy at speed in the resort. RPC was disappointing. Great ski, but a lot of the slarve went away when they reduced the rocker and stiffened it up.

Just go longer with more rocker. You need the red 200cm Lotus 120. Can be had for cheap. I got mine undrilled 2 years ago for $400 in a pure3 construction.
    . . .

Had a great time with some 202 138s in AK

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    When its deep the tip is completely out of the snow

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...25&oe=595F1790

I don't see the point of the spoon ?

I am definatley liking the pintail design
    backseat much?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    backseat much?
    beat me to it.

I own and ski:

Wailer 105 T2
    RPC
    Lotus 124 P3 192
    Lotus 138

And I have a pair of Wailer 112 Tour 1 on my way.

Am I a dentist? Maybe, who knows by what standard you have to ski to before you aren't. But I do ski 70ish days a year and currently backcountry touring 20-30 days a season. I like all of these skis and use all of them. I want to say that the L138 is my favorite ski, but that is more like a pipedream. It's a fantastic ski, but I almost wet my self when skiing down a 45-50 degree face in AK that just had avalanched. My favorite is the RPC. IMHO there hasn't been a better ski made, ever. It's versatile, it can rail gromers, no speed limit, plenty of float and it hasn't ever tip dived on me. Seriously, I could almost bring it to bed.

As far as the spooning goes, I haven't skied a non-spooned version of any of the spooned skis I have (124 and 138). But I can say that my tips don't stick up like shark fins like in the image linked to above. Not saying he is doing anything wrong, just that my experience is different

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Just go longer with more rocker. You need the red 200cm Lotus 120. Can be had for cheap. I got mine undrilled 2 years ago for $400 in a pure3 construction.
    I'm still smooshing around on my 200 cm black ones as le goto planque.

I have an unmounted pair of the red prespooned in a 200 as well as a mounted pair in 190.
    I don't like the tip flap on the red ones on inbounds groimers relative to the black ones where the latter are better all round skis as long as there's a little edge penetration.

I just like all that edge in contact with the snow and the rebound I get out of them.

And yes, go ahead and consider me a financially suckcessful poser. Opinion varies. I just like the skis.
    I am, however, not a dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post

There I said it.
    Hey - I resemble that remark.

190 Spoon. No question these are my favorite. Any excuse I can bust them out, game on. I have used them on heli days and I tour them in the BC. Lift access with 3+ inches of PNW slop and I am like jeezeus out there walking on water, never touching whatever bulletproof, trees, stumps or other shit that is hiding below. I hear it all in the lift lines, zero fucks given. I just keep grinning from ear to ear, lap after lap.

RPC are my daily driver. I have had them tip dive on Rogers Pass. They have not been toured since, that duty now mainly falls upon the L120.

Glad there are plenty of consumers supporting the small innovators regardless of technical ability or financial status. We maggots alone can not keep their doors open.

If skis were still being shaped they were 10years ago, I would stick to snowboarding.

I did not go to dental school but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Also not a dentist...

More days than I can count on an old school pair of L-120 Pure, flex 2 with bamboo sidewalls.
    Something about this shape/profile that just works for me in the PNW.

I have a pair of unmounted Pure3 L-120 Spoons waiting in the wings though.

Wailer 112. Nothing is better in the DPS line than these guys right here. They really are a nice little ride to fly around on.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    190 Spoon. No question these are my favorite. Any excuse I can bust them out, game on. I have used them on heli days and I tour them in the BC. Lift access with 3+ inches of PNW slop and I am like jeezeus out there walking on water, never touching whatever bulletproof, trees, stumps or other shit that is hiding below. I hear it all in the lift lines, zero fucks given. I just keep grinning from ear to ear, lap after lap.
    They sound great! But how do they handle long traverses?

My favorite is the Lotus 138. Any day that warrants bringing a L138 is a good day.

I've had a bunch:
    - 192 original pointy tip version, low rocker, mount point is very centered (too far forward for my liking). Flex 3 was the one I had, IIRC. Sold it. The pointy tip + forward mount = dive.
    - 192 bamboo sidewall version, pure (before there was a hybrid). Still have, mounted with demo bindings. Serves as rock pow ski + loaner pow ski.
    - 192 rocker 3.1 (maybe 3.2? can't remember), hybrid. Huge tip rocker. The only place this one shines vs. the others is where the pow is really weird -- heavy crust, windpack, slop, etc. Otherwise I prefer the other versions. Still have it, but haven't skied it this year, and probably won't.
    - 202 pure, long low rise rocker. I think this is my favorite of them all. Doesn't ski too big except when trying to fit between tight trees. So fast, so fun, so stable.

Other DPS I have:

190 Spoon, pure, which I've skied once or twice. Not sure it does anything better than the 202 L138 in terms of skiing pow. It's a lot looser sideways. Would like to try this on a cat trip or a deep blower pow day. This is the only spooned DPS that I've tried.
    190 Lotus 120, bamboo sidewall era. I haven't skied any other L120s. This is my touring pow ski, and has been for years.
    190ish (188? don't remember) Wailer 105, old version with minimal tip rocker, pure. My other-than-pow touring ski. Super light.
    190 Wailer 112RP, pure. Not my favorite. Works acceptably in pow (not as fun as a L138), hooky as hell on any firm groomed runout -- and I've detuned and flattened it a lot. Thinking of selling or remounting with Dynafits.
    192ish (can't remember) Wailer 112RPC hybrid. I like this a lot more than the 112RP -- not as good as a pow ski, but handles everything else so much better. Stable, predictable, fun.

Only other one I've had and sold, because I really didn't like it, was a 192 Wailer 99 hybrid. Didn't like how it skied on firm or soft conditions. Should have been versatile, but just did not click with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

190 Wailer 112RP, pure. Not my favorite. Works acceptably in pow (not as fun as a L138), hooky as hell on any firm groomed runout -- and I've detuned and flattened it a lot. Thinking of selling or remounting with Dynafits.
    That's what I did, and they make a great touring ski, since the main time you get weird tip hooking rarely exists in the BC. Sastrugi sucks with them, but sastrugi sucks always anyway. So that ski would be my fave.

I kinda agree on the W99, (mine's a pure). Although in tight couloirs with firm snow, the 99 is dead easy to fling around. I bought it to replace my W95 from 2006, but it didn't. I want a 138, but I don't think I'd ever use it enough.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I like the 2018-19 strategy: change name from DPS to DDS.

Winning forever.