Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    4 lap expiry date . Need rain gear. No coincidence that I got the trew gear email advertising "bewild" rain jacket I guess

What ACH said. Helly Hansen, Grundens or Gage slicker and slacks. Rubber gloves.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Never skied in this rain gear, but for sledding or any other wet workday (or for bashing through the devil's club), this is the BC made rain gear to wear: http://www.canswe.com/rainwear.php
    On my second set after 20yrs of interior wetbelt use with the first.

Need that "20k" fabric and some gore tex.

Smear vaseline over your entire body to keep you dry in the event a stray drop does manage to make it down to skin-level though.

Cotton is best.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    Cotton is best.
    Denim, right?

they used to make us ski in da rain at ski camp

worst
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

What about all that fancy shmancy 3L Goretex kits that people buy that are supposed to keep u dry?

Gortex will breathe and so you end up less wet but if its a driving rainstorm your gortex will probably wet out and you will become wet, the rubber rain gear does not wet out but then you get damp from sweat because rubber doesn't breathe
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Gortex will breathe and so you end up less wet but if its a driving rainstorm your gortex will probably wet out and you will become wet, the rubber rain gear does not wet out but then you get damp from sweat because rubber doesn't breathe
    fucked both ways
    but at least you're skiing

i bought my pvc gear the day after a rainy grom race where i had to be a gate ref -- what a miserable day & all the kids were going half speed in the slop
    i've found plenty of other uses for it since - powerwashing in winter, wore them to the boy scout snow caving campout a couple weekends ago

I try to avoid riding in the rain. So, if I end up riding in the rain, I wear about the same thing as I do every day. 3 layer gore text shell top and bottom.

we did a 4 hr hike up a mtn to recon a BC hut in a driving rain storm AND all 4 of us wearing various name brand G-tex outer wear were soaked to the skin

my buddy the worlds smartest ditch digger claims you either get wet from the rain or wet from wearing the rainwear

SO on a construction gig I just followed his lead ... he doesn't wear rain gear
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We've been through this before. Goretex is weatherproof in many conditions and performs better than anything else for many activities, but after a season or two (often less) GTX leaks in a driving or sustained rain. Gore's multi-million $$$ marketing of its product as "waterproof" doesn't make it so. If GTX were actually waterproof, Gore wouldn't spend millions of dollars each year on its "guaranteed to keep you dry" warranty.
    Last edited by DIYSteve; 03-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.

With a kid ski racing in Oregon I can tell you there is no substitute for going full on "deadliest catch".

Rubber all the way
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

the rubber rain gear does not wet out but then you get damp from sweat because rubber doesn't breathe
    I guess this depends a little.
    I dress differently under the rain suit then I do under normal ski outer ware, I also tend to watch how hard I am exerting too.
    Either way, if the weather is pointing towards rain gear i am generally more comfortable being a little overheated than soaked through and cold.

I worked outside in AK on boats and on the dock in rain and I didn't get wet wearing Grunden's. I didn't get wet framing houses in Western WA in the spring and fall either. YMMV.

I did pick up these killer snow blower gloves the other day and wore them when it was 33-34F and raining/snaining and they were great. Urethane with a thick fleece bonded on the inside. Perfect, completely waterproof and just enough insulation to keep the hands warm but not sweaty.

Light rain today at Squaw and the skiing is actually pretty good.

All you need is:
    Goretex
    Insulated Vinyl gloves
    Trash bag skirt
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Being an Portland skier - I wear the same Arcteryx gortex outfit I bought 8 years ago, including gloves. Very common to have wet turns on Hood. Never been damp except on way up due to breath ability. Treat it 2X per year - still water proof. Proshell gortex is best, have all varieties including paclite.

turns out that low end tnf doesn't help much on hood in some conditions.

Mother nature knows best = skin ........ ski naked!