Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I have the Suunto 9 Baro. Got it a few months ago and have been really happy with everything from the fitness logging and navigation. Havent had it out for skiing yet but think it will be fin.

FYI - Garmin Fenix 5X is on sale at Best Buy for $300. Amex has a $30 offer on $300 purchase at Best Buy. And there's a 10% cashback for BB from Retailmenot.

So I ordered one. If I don't like its usability, can just return it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FYI - Garmin Fenix 5X
    No way dude, it's tits you're gonna love it.

Super happy with my Suunto AMBIT3 SPORT. 3 years fo daily wear and it still looks good, and functions properly.
    I find the app fairly simple, automatically updates activities to the app and directly to third parties like Strava. I like the battery life.
    I use a Garmin on my bike, and want to streamline all my devices so I'm looking at the new GARMIN vívoactive 4. It looks like it ticks all the boxes of what I needs.
    The size and color I want from this new model is not ready for shipping for a few more weeks.

I had a Suunto Traverse and i wasn't a huge fan of it... found it really difficult to use and because of that i rarely used it. Switched to an Apple Watch and i really like it but its starting to show its age so debating a new watch. The Garmin Fenix 5 seems to be a solid deal right now. Just wondering if it would be too annoying in the gym (bulky) as compared to the apple watch, thoughts?

FYI - Garmin Fenix 5X is on sale at Best Buy for $300. Amex has a $30 offer on $300 purchase at Best Buy. And there's a 10% cashback for BB from Retailmenot.

They are on sale in Canada as well... but not nearly as cheap.... might need to grab one in the US

still pretty stoked with my Suunto Spartan Sport. wife has the Suunto 9 which is even better on the battery life.

I am curious about the Coros Apex though...

Any chance that deal is still on? The 5X is $589 Canadian (plus GST) so over $600...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Any chance that deal is still on? The 5X is $589 Canadian (plus GST) so over $600...
    It looks like the price is back to $599 at Best Buy US.

If I decide not to keep it, I'll post here if anyone wants it, before returning.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

It looks like the price is back to $599 at Best Buy US.

If I decide not to keep it, I'll post here if anyone wants it, before returning.
    I'd for sure grab it if you don't want it.... just let me know. Hoping maybe that will be the Black Friday price as well

TomTom

I've got a TomTom Adventurer with cardio + music. I think it was a black friday deal and got it for 150$ or so. I can't recommend it enough. The data it collects is good, and the battery life is excellent. The app it uses sucks, but you can export everything after it's uploaded to make it look how you like.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Great thread. I have a Garmin VivoSport bought primarily for HR during cycling and running, and I've found it is absolute shit for cycling. Can anyone who has their favorite Fenix, Ambit, Coros etc chime in on functionality specific to cycing activities? Also, how comfortable are these to wear during sleep? I wear the VivoSport at night to watch resting HR as an indicator of recovery, and would like to do the same with one of the favorite multisport watches being discussed here. Lastly, I like that vibrate alarm feature mentioned!

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Great thread. I have a Garmin VivoSport bought primarily for HR during cycling and running, and I've found it is absolute shit for cycling. Can anyone who has their favorite Fenix, Ambit, Coros etc chime in on functionality specific to cycing activities? Also, how comfortable are these to wear during sleep? I wear the VivoSport at night to watch resting HR as an indicator of recovery, and would like to do the same with one of the favorite multisport watches being discussed here. Lastly, I like that vibrate alarm feature mentioned!

thanks.
    The Suunto Traverse i had was fairly large so i don't think it would be great for sleeping. My Apple Watch would be fine but i use the night to charge it as it basically is dead by the time my day is over especially if i get a long workout in and track it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post

thanks.
    I have a Garmin 935 I use for cycling and it works well. I also wear it at night with no issues. Lasts around a week with no charging without GPS. Charge more often when I'm being active but can usually get a few days. Charges fast, so I plug it in while I shower. It's the plastic version of the Fenix 5.

For those with the Fenix 5 or 935. If you do a workout a day, I assume during a workout program it is measuring your HR constantly? Could you get a couple of days out of the battery? So basically an hour or hour and a half of constant HR monitoring and then just basic watch shit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

FYI BestBuy Canada has the Garmin Fenix 5X (and 5x plus for $729) for sale for $449 Canadian. I just ordered one using some gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    For those with the Fenix 5 or 935. If you do a workout a day, I assume during a workout program it is measuring your HR constantly? Could you get a couple of days out of the battery? So basically an hour or hour and a half of constant HR monitoring and then just basic watch shit

I workout an hour or so a day with heart rate on and GPS for 50% of the workouts. Watch is almost 2yrs old and still get around a week with that schedule. Supposedly the newer ones are even better.

My fenix 3HR sort of shit the bed after 2-3 yrs-GPS sensor stopped working, so now it's an overpriced HR monitor/timex. I've been using HR monitor watches since the late 90's thru multiple Suunto/Polar/Garmin watches, I don't think I've had any survive more than 3yrs exposure to my corrosive sweat.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I workout an hour or so a day with heart rate on and GPS for 50% of the workouts. Watch is almost 2yrs old and still get around a week with that schedule. Supposedly the newer ones are even better.
    That’s what I like to hear.... my Apple Watch is borderline dead by the time I get home from work and after a workout.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Garmin's holiday sale started today... up to a 1/3 off some of the watches being discussed here.
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Ditto for my Fenix 5x. 30-60’ workout per day, not all using GPS though. Easily lasts a week. Will last 2wks plus if I’m lazy. Was able to do a 3 day hut trip last year recording GPS track all day without needing a recharge.

I bought a suunto traverse 2 months ago. It arrived with a dead LCD, so I sent it back for warranty. They took a month to fix it (instead of sending me a new one). I finally got it back yesterday, and it worked 1 day before the LCD shit out again. Not happy with the product or the customer service. I'll be returning it for a refund.

Take that for what it's worth. Just my personal experience. I'll be looking into garmin watches now, as I love my inReach.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I bought a suunto traverse 2 months ago. It arrived with a dead LCD, so I sent it back for warranty. They took a month to fix it (instead of sending me a new one). I finally got it back yesterday, and it worked 1 day before the LCD shit out again. Not happy with the product or the customer service. I'll be returning it for a refund.

Take that for what it's worth. Just my personal experience. I'll be looking into garmin watches now, as I love my inReach.
    wow that is pretty shitty... i can't believe it was DOA and they fixed it as opposed to sending a new one, very odd decision.

I've had a Ambit 3 sport for 5+ years. Love it for all the nav options, however i've had the battery die 10 hours into a 12 hour trip. I just take a portable battery with me for multiday trips. Also if you care, when the data is sent over to Strava through the Suunto app it shows you moving faster than you really did. I've asked their support and it seems like a problem they don't want to fix. I'll be looking outside of Suunto next time I shop for a watch.

Quick update for me. I did grab the Fenix 5X on a pre black friday sale and it was delivered a couple days ago. long story short i can't really play with it yet as i'm waiting for some gift cards to be shipped to me so i'll be returning it and buying it again with the gift cards.

I took it out of the box and just looked at it and i will say this is a massive watch, i'm 5'11", 190lb and athletic build and it feels almost too large on my wrist. if anyone is smaller framed or wants something smaller i would forsure go with the 5 or even 5S as the X is a beast. Build quality seems top notch, has some nice weight to it. Can't wait for the GC's to get here so i can actually use it tho!