Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    No, any smartphone won't do. It's lacking barometer, pulse and runs out of battery. And yeah, I bought a Suunto last year, because the smartphone didn't do.

Edit: Sorry if that came a cross a little harsh. It's just that a smartphone wont replace a good watch yet.
    Can you recommend a source to practice with? I'm having trouble getting the feel for my Suunto Ambit3.

Ended up buying a Vertical over the Peak. The feature that sold it for me is going to make you laugh. I use the vibrate alarm to get me up in the morning without waking my wife - especially on Dawn patrol days

For the most part I really like the watch, but an having some issues. First, the step counter appears to be 2-3x what is accurate. Not a huge selling point for me, but true nonetheless.

Secondly I've been riding my road bike a but and am looking for a way to keep decent battery life. I rode about 1.5 hours today with GPS best at 1 sec intervals and burning about 23% battery. I didn't have my heart rate monitor with me, so I would expect it to be a little worse than normal.

However, I previously had the GPS set to good at 1 sec intervals and my speed was lagging about 30-45 seconds. I.e. I hit a hill, down shift, and 30-45 seconds later the watch starts dialing down my speed on the display. When using GPS "good" I also had frequent drops (speed to 0) or other wierdness (speed at 47 for several minutes).

I'm about to call Suunto customer service to see what they have to say.

In standby mode, though, the battery lasts a long time. I hope I can get this resolved, however, because I bought this to get better battery life than my Garmin vivoactive and so far it's marginally better.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Another Suunto Ambit 3 peak. Best in class for a while now

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Can you recommend a source to practice with? I'm having trouble getting the feel for my Suunto Ambit3.
    Not sure I understand what you mean by "source to practice with".

I just started playing around with mine while hiking, skiing and working out to figure out what it did. But I use it every day. I can see how it could be a lot in the beginning if it isn't used much.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "source to practice with".

I just started playing around with mine while hiking, skiing and working out to figure out what it did. But I use it every day. I can see how it could be a lot in the beginning if it isn't used much.
    Thanks. I just need to spend the time. Don't think it's that intuitive but realize it's powerful. Are you using it for navigation?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Thanks. I just need to spend the time. Don't think it's that intuitive but realize it's powerful. Are you using it for navigation?

Yeah, I use it for quick navigation. If you have visibility, a propper altimeter and a map should tell you exactly where you are with a little practice. I have also followed the breadcrumb it makes to find my way back.

I'm using a Suunto Spartan Ultra. Pretty happy with it.
    Same here. Really liking it vs. my Ambit 2S. Great battery life, easier to use, etc.

I recently bought a Garmin Fenix 5X for the topo maps.
    Obviously such a small screen isn't a substitute for running Backcountry Navigator on my phone, but nice to be able to take a quick glance at my wrist to confirm my position without having to take out my phone, turn the Location back on, wait for BCN to figure out where I am, etc.
    And the advertised battery life of ~20 hours seems pretty accurate so far (i.e., based on ratio of battery life depleted to hours on my tours), so can leave the gps on with a tracklog being recorded the entire time w/o worrying about running out of battery on daytrips.
    All the other features are very impressive too, although this is the only such watch I've ever owned, so perhaps I'm just easily impressed.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

My wife gave me the Spartan Ultra for Christmas. It's a nice watch. I didn't grow up playing endurance sports, so the HR monitor has really helped my training (no surprise there).

My only major complaint is the battery life. I can't seem to find a way to change the GPS update rate, and the watch seems to die after like 9-10 hours in the "ski touring" exercise mode with the HR band connected. I haven't experimented on whether it works all day in other modes or without the HR band.

Also: the HR band can be kind of finicky -- sometimes it doesn't work and other times it's just plain wrong for a while, but I started adding some ultrasound gel to the pads on the HR band before putting it on when it's really cold/dry, and I also stopped using synthetic tee shirts for running (the static supposedly causes interference). The combination seems to have fixed the issue for now.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-29-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Auvgeek, I recently got the Spartan Sport. Battery life seems to be around 9 hours while tracking at 1 sec intervals in "best" mode. You can change this on movescount.com for the activity itself or right when you start the activity from the watch. I'll try to add some pictures.

One other suggestion that I've heard to extend battery life is to use the multi-sport feature to extend battery life. You essentially create multiple of the same profiles but change the GPS refresh rate: One profile will have Best, another will have Good and the final will have OK.

If you find that you are out longer than expected, you can switch from Best to Good (or OK) to extend your battery life a bit longer and complete your activity. This is similar to switching modes for a triathlon, for example.

Seth

That multi sport hack is brilliant! I’ve been continually frustrated that I have to either start the day in low res if I’m planning a full day tour, or be willing to stop the track.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Auvgeek, I recently got the Spartan Sport. Battery life seems to be around 9 hours while tracking at 1 sec intervals in "best" mode. You can change this on movescount.com for the activity itself or right when you start the activity from the watch. I'll try to add some pictures.
    Ahh. Thank you! I figured it out. I had been messing with trying to change the GPS setting permanently -- didn't think to look in the sport-specific modes. For anybody as dumb as me, after selecting the type of activity on the screen that says "Start," you just click the bottom button (or scroll down with your finger) to go down to an "options" menu that lets you change the navigation type and GPS accuracy.

One other suggestion that I've heard to extend battery life is to use the multi-sport feature to extend battery life. You essentially create multiple of the same profiles but change the GPS refresh rate: One profile will have Best, another will have Good and the final will have OK.

If you find that you are out longer than expected, you can switch from Best to Good (or OK) to extend your battery life a bit longer and complete your activity. This is similar to switching modes for a triathlon, for example.
    That's neat! I don't fully understand how to change exercise modes in Triathalon exercise (I'm sure I could google it), but I did just figure out you can change the GPS settings (e.g., from best to good) in the middle of an exercise session (without ending it) by holding the middle button, which brings up an options menu. Gives you all the same options that you get at the beginning menu before starting the session.

Now I just have to remember to change it if I'm gonna be out for more than 9 hrs...
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Ahh. Thank you! I figured it out.

That's neat! I don't fully understand how to change exercise modes, but I did just figure out you can change the GPS from best to good without ending your exercise session by holding the middle button, which brings up an options menu.
    Sweet! I didn't know that but that will save me from creating the other modes.

Yeah, this way should be easier than creating different modes, but that multisport hack still seems cool. Might give it a try at some point.

As a general PSA: to transition in triathlon mode, just hold the top button down for a few seconds and it will automatically cycle through: swim, transition, cycling, transition, run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IuLgsgnKRo

photos

Looks like it works this way with all activities - not just triathlon. Pushing and holding the top button will give you access to all activities.

I also tried the middle button mid ride tonight and that looks like a great way to change GPS mode without creating another activity. Thanks for the tip.

Seth

For battery life, I also found it lasting much longer if I enable power saving. Not sure if it actually does anything more than just turn off the screen. But it seems to help quite a lot for me. I have no problems doing full day missions then, and it still has 40% left on the battery when I'm back. If I'm extrapolating the data, it should last around 20 hours with GPS best and power saving on.

For battery life, I also found it lasting much longer if I enable power saving. Not sure if it actually does anything more than just turn off the screen. But it seems to help quite a lot for me. I have no problems doing full day missions then, and it still has 40% left on the battery when I'm back. If I'm extrapolating the data, it should last around 20 hours with GPS best and power saving on.
    Which model do you have?

Which model do you have?

I'm having Suunto Spartan Ultra. I turn on all the battery saving features. Don't have any bluetooth connected apart from the HR band, turn glonass off and I don't look at it all the time obviously, as that makes it go in and out of battery saving.

I recently got the Spartan Sport. Battery life seems to be around 9 hours while tracking at 1 sec intervals in "best" mode.
    How do you compare it to Ambit3? I'm currently in decision between Ambit3 peak, spartan ultra/sport baro or suunto 9 baro. I'm going to use watch for resort skiing, ski touring and mtb.

Bumping this. Looking for a watch for ski touring, running, etc. The ambit3 peak appears to be the way to go but I am a little concerned about buying a 5 year old watch at this point. Any other suggestions? Is it still the right choice?

After further research it appears that the new suunto app has rendered the ambit3 peak obsolete. Anyone have experience with the Coros Apex?

I just picked up the Garmin Instinct, interested to see how it does during ski season!

COROS has been sweet after several years of suunto and a brief garmin stent. Long long long battery life, easy to use, app and customizable and quick connectivity

Quote Originally Posted by Ver iz ze money LePowski? View Post
    After further research it appears that the new suunto app has rendered the ambit3 peak obsolete. Anyone have experience with the Coros Apex?
    I have an Ambit 3 Peak. Purchased Fall 2016. Still works well. New Suunto app can be glitchy here and there, but I deal with it. Unpair and then repair from watch-->app fixes the issue. In the last year there've been one or two times when a workout showed up in the Suunto app, but didn't push to Strava. So in those cases I DLed the .fit file to phone, and then logged into Strava using Chrome on the phone in desktop mode, and then manually uploaded it.

So, little annoyances, but only happens here and there and can work around it.

Happy with the watch. Especially for what I paid, which was, ~$250? I think around there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Been real happy with the Fenix 3HR, tempted by the new 6...