Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Petzl Leopard?

Petzl Leopard?

Anyone who would like to share his/her experiences with the mentioned crampons?
    I´d be very interested.

Thanks in advance!

I was given a pair of these to try out this season, but I haven't had a lot of opportunities to use them yet. Based on limited use, I really like the weight, and especially the packability since you are stacking the heel and toe pieces on top of each other. I found adjusting them to be the hardest part. The heel throw does not have any micro adjustment, so you have to move the cord on the teeth and it's easy to feel like you're between sizes. If it feels too tight, you have to play tug of war for a while, which will take a tiny amount of slack out of the cord, and hopefully then you'll be all set.

I can't speak to durability or anything else given the limited use...

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I first of all wonder how good/bad the cord-tech solution works.

As for the lack of a micro-adjustment at the heel, from what I see in the pictures, the wire can be set to different positions (3 sets of holes in the heel piece), doesn´t it help at all?

I have a pair (haven't used them yet...) for use with my TLT5P. A bit fiddly to get right, but cord seams good (have to test once wet) and think I get a good tension once they are on the boots. Fantastic weight and packability for the days when you don't think you need any crampons, but just in case or hut trips.

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post

As for the lack of a micro-adjustment at the heel, from what I see in the pictures, the wire can be set to different positions (3 sets of holes in the heel piece), doesn´t it help at all?
    I played with the heel positions but in the end, you definitely want to just get the cord right. Even if you get it tight in the living room, it will loosen up a tiny bit on your first trip out, as some of the slack is taken out of the cord. At that point you have to move up a notch no matter how tight it seems. Keep in mind that the cord doesn't need to be in evenly spaced slots. It can be in #1 on the left and #6 on the right- if that's how it gets tight...

Any thoughts on how they compare to the Camp Race 290?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Any thoughts on how these might work on a running shoe? I'm looking for a crampon that I can use for ski mountaineering and summer glacier travel on long runs. Likely going to be putting them on a La Sportiva Akasha. I'm curious as to whether the lack of rigidity in the frame would cause problems when used on a shoe that is obviously softer than a ski or mountaineering boot.

I'd love to be able to use these on long mountain runs that have significant glacier travel though due to the weight, but also because they will pack well in a light running vest. Anyone tried the CAMP Race 290's on running/hiking shoes?

alternative method of adjustment seen here would probably work:

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Ho...L#.WNjSExJ95sM

Let us know how it goes if you try it out.

[QUOTE=Practitioner;4979331]Any thoughts on how these might work on a running shoe? I'm looking for a crampon that I can use for ski mountaineering and summer glacier travel on long runs. Likely going to be putting them on a La Sportiva Akasha. I'm curious as to whether the lack of rigidity in the frame would cause problems when used on a shoe that is obviously softer than a ski or mountaineering boot. [\QUOTE]

It's my understanding that you actually want the flexible crampon for a softer shoe. I've been wondering about these for my summer kit, may try them out. They sound perfect for your use.

Interesting, I think i'll pull the trigger on some and test them out. Worse comes to worse I'll switch to a wire heel bail and use them on my ski boots.

Really wish petzl sold the locking heel bail for ski boot use for their crampons though. Would love to be able to buy the FL version and then convert to the LLF version if the FL one doesnt work well with the running shoes/when winter comes along, but they don't sell the heel bail so I have to buy the LLF version, get the FL parts separately, and then rig up my own nylon strapping.

Thanks for the review. I dont use crampons a ton but those looks like a super smart design.

Bump. Any long term reviews?

They're great. Dyneema cord is showning less wear than the spikes. Just ordered some Irvis Hybrids for for rockier/icier days. Make sure you fit them at home before using. They stretch the first time you strap them on tight.

Edit to add: they fit both my F1 and Hawx XTD's very well.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 11-30-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Do they feel secure on the boots? Are they real crampons or more like microspikes? Right now I have the Grivel Air Tech. I used them for sketchy couloir entrances and mixed rock and ice. They are great but they weight 900g+. I don't do any vertical climbing with crampons, this is just for skiing. There's a few times I wished I had crampons but I err on the side of going light so I only take the grivels if I know I need them. What would you say is their main drawback?

They are as secure as any crampons if they fit your boots. Aluminum gets dinged by rock, but can take a fair amount of abuse. They can't be sharpened like steel crampons. Aluminum won't penetrate water ice like steel, nor is the shape of the leopards appropriate for ice climbing. But for 95% of the ski mountaineering most folks do aluminum is better. Keep your Grivels for the other 5%.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Use these with la sportive spectre boots. No issues. Adjust them first in living room over a beer. Expect “some” stretch the first outing but nothing major - no issues with them feeling like they can’t do the job. If you get the tension right they’re solid. For their intended purpose. Easy to pack and carry.

Dunno if this helps but the Leopard is like the Gully axe, Irvis Hybrid is like the (redesigned) Sum'Tec. Neither climb ice/mixed like a Quark or Nomic, but I've found those tools are more aspirational than necessary for my ski mountaineering.

I have the Leopard and Irvis Hybrid. I haven't once carried my heavy steel Grivel crampons since I got the Irvis Hybrid. I'll carry the Irvis Hybrid (and Sum'Tec) if I'm planning on real climbing and the Gully + Leopard for steep snow or in the pack "just in case" type situation. My wife has my Gully and Leopards on a hard borrow (aka she's sure I gave them to her for Christmas), so I pretty much just use SumTec and Irvis hybrids these days. But the Leopards are definitely real (aluminum) crampons, not micro-spikes. I haven't yet found the limit of the Irvis Hybrid, but people are climbing way harder stuff than me.

Bottom line: I can definitely see using the Irvis Hybrid for the vast majority of ski mountaineering or the Leopard to supplement to heavy steel 'pons in the pack on days you're not sure if you need them. I'd say the majority of my ski mountaineering partners/friends have switched to the Irvis Hybrid as a do-it all crampon for everything except pure ice/mixed climbing.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm about to ditch my heavy ass G12's for either leopard or irvis hybrid. The hybrid is a big weight drop from most pons. And also pack up nice and tight. And they come with both fronts, so work auto or semi-auto versus the leopards are either universal or full auto, and then you need to buy parts to make em semi - which is annoying. Realistically I can get away with the hybrids since almost all just snow, but I do worry bout banging through inevitable rock sections with the alum leopards on (and certainly don't want to be taking em on and off)

Just to make things more complicated, I've been using the camp 250 with pounds that go in the back of bc boots.
    Really light, work well, especially since i replaced the fiddly retaining strap with voile straps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Rod, do you mean these 250's? Intriguing...
    https://www.proskiservice.com/products/tech-crampon-250

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Rod, do you mean these 250's? Intriguing...
    https://www.proskiservice.com/products/tech-crampon-250
    ^^^ I think he's talking about the Camp 350s which use tech heel pins.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Ah got it, those are interesting too. Yeah I def need something more in the 500 grams or less range

Its a pain in the ass to lace up the leopards when your fingers are cold and sort of awkward when youre doing it on a a slope. I want to love them but i keep reaching for my camp xlc 390s. Granted theyre full auto. Leopards are great for running shoes and glaciers, not sure how I feel about em on the steeps.

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    Yes. I use the forward holes on my Hawx and the middle holes on my F1's. Takes 20 second to switch and check that it's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Its a pain in the ass to lace up the leopards when your fingers are cold and sort of awkward when youre doing it on a a slope. I want to love them but i keep reaching for my camp xlc 390s. Granted theyre full auto. Leopards are great for running shoes and glaciers, not sure how I feel about em on the steeps.
    My full auto leopards are no more difficult to put on than any other crampon.