Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Petzl Leopard?

My full auto leopards are no more difficult to put on than any other crampon.
    Yeah, im talking about the strap toe and heel ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Yeah, im talking about the strap toe and heel ones.
    Yup, you were clear.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Ah got it, those are interesting too. Yeah I def need something more in the 500 grams or less range
    Sorry it's the 290

https://skimo.co/camp-race-290-crampons

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Bunch of reviews here now:
    https://skimo.co/petzl-leopard-crampons
    ... including mine.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I have a pair of Leopard that I’ve only used in the full-strap configuration with my light mountain boots. I really like them for long walks on mellow glaciers. I use the alternative lacing method to get a very secure fit.

For my AT boots I have a pair of Camp 390s (the fully auto aluminum 12-point crampons).

I just got a pair and had enough old auto heel bails around to have the universal and auto option; very stoked on weight and packability. If they do as well for actual climbing as my air tech lites, I’ll be stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I cut the cord on my pair and bought the steel Irvis fronts, separately:
    https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Cr...front-sections

Using a square knot on the cord, I can switch between steel fronts or aluminum fronts depending on the time of year or the goal. They've been working well for me so far. The night before, I choose which fronts I want to use, soak the cords in water, and then put them on my boots overnight, and then adjust them one last time in the morning before I head out the door. I really like them so far. Works well across two pairs of boots.

I dig these things. Lots.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Anyone used the full strap version of these with the LS Skorpius? I had a failure cost me some good skiing over the weekend, and played around with a bunch of iterations of the tension, but the cramps popped off whenever I had to sidehill. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to go full auto mode, or just toss these and carry my trusty 10 year old G12s

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Anyone used the full strap version of these with the LS Skorpius? I had a failure cost me some good skiing over the weekend, and played around with a bunch of iterations of the tension, but the cramps popped off whenever I had to sidehill. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need to go full auto mode, or just toss these and carry my trusty 10 year old G12s
    Does the heel piece of the crampon fit on the outside of the lugs of the boot? I found that the Leopard heels were slightly too narrow for a proper fit on the Skorpius and some other boots. They say as long as you have solid tension its fine but I don't really buy it.

Heel actually fit OK, its riding on the rubber of the strap part, but it's the toe that looks pretty far back. I'm fairly surprised because the Skorpius has the narrowest looking toe compared to all my other boots, so it's hard for me to imagine this setup working for other ski boot combos. I might try bending the metal on the front toe bail out a bit, but its fairly hard to test. The cord is tight, but once I start walking it just slides right off. Wondering if these are just designed for really really light use (aka, soft snow when you don't really need crampons at all) and that's my issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220628_152500814.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	920.4 KB 
ID:	420135

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220628_152514292.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	870.9 KB 
ID:	420136

When I first bought these crampons, the guy at the shop said the strap version (which is all anybody had in stock at the time) was not recommended for use with ski boots, but they would probably work. Turns out he was right. I used them with my ZGTPs for one trip and they were a bit wonky. Toe was off line but they never came off. I bought the full auto kit and it is the tits with ski boots. Tiny form factor when packed. You can swap out the "bindings" pretty easily. The strap version works great for approach shoes and runners.

Used the strap version last weekend for 3,000' of cramponing in variable snow but I was wearing lightweight mountaineering boots. Stayed put with no problems.

I have the strap version which worked well with mercury and spectre boots, until I added antibotts. Now they are dangerous. I had them come off a few times in not so consequential terrain so I played with the cord tension. I ground my boot heels to improve fit. I thought I had them dialed them in, until I had one come off a few times in some seriously sketchy terrain. When the cord is under high tension the heels pop off. When the cord is not too highly tensioned they stay on but the front is very loose and wobbly. These are useless until I can get some lever locks. I will write petzal an email to see what they have to say.
    Last edited by Cocximus; 06-28-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Glad I'm not the only one. I wrote Petzl to send me the Fil and lever lock, seems like if the "universal" attachment doesn't work they should provide the proper hardware.

Did they respond? Did you have issues with or without antibots?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I posted earlier in this thread after my initial experience with Leopards on my light mountain boots. I had mentioned at that point that I still preferred my full-auto CAMP crampons on my ski boots. I had one of those full auto crampons pop off of my Backlands while I was out on a long tour so I revisited what it would take to get my Leopards onto ski boots.

I have a quiver of Petzl crampons and parts so it was easy to swap from the original baskets to the wire bales and go fully automatic. They fit my ski boots well in that configuration (both Hawx and Backlands) but I haven't used them that way this season. I have spent some time with them in the full-auto configuration on my Nepal Cubes (very small toe welt/shelf) and they've been quite secure for walking up and down Mt Baker.

I've never had any luck with "universal" crampons getting a tight fit on ski boots and usually am only really happy with the strap baskets on the toes of boots with rubber rands. The other thing to be aware of is that the Leopards "settle" a bit after adjusting the dyneema cord. It might seem tight in the living room but as soon as you take a few steps it will settle into the adjustment and loosen up a bit. If you don't pay attention and readjust as needed you're likely to still have problems with the fit.

I mentioned it in my previous post but if you're having problems with the fit with the soft toe basket and either heel basket or lever lock then you can use the "alternative lacing method" which cradles the boot with more of the strap plus it puts additional tension on the dyneema string to keep everything tight.

Nylon stretches when wet and shrinks when it dries. When swapping between boots, I usually wet the rope and place them on the boots overnight to let them settle into place.