Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bird Tactics for WY Jong visiting Utardia

Hello Bretheren,

On the heels of last week's extremely successful BBI invitational here in Jackson (had to work but did meet and drink with Flowing Alpy and Dundee), I am pilgrimaging to Snowbird for a possible dump tomorrow.

Problem is, I've never skied the bird and I don't want to waste half a day trying to figure out my head from my ass.

Can anyone post a flowchart? Tactical diagram?

I feel like I've gotten skiing and navigating Jackson hole down to a science, but now my little world is falling apart ...

If you're on the tram you can see alot if the good terrain. Watch for wind scoured patches among the drifts. I may be there, black pants, trew jacket, Jones board hit me up if you want

Same I'll be there from 9 a.m. till I feel it's time to go home, Green Columbia jacket, black pants, obnoxiously large and obnoxious red Blizzard Bodacious, feel free to hit me up

Pretty much can't go wrong off any of the good traverses, i.e. Cirque, Baldy, Road to Provo

Sure, post your Jackson flowchart here first then we will post our Snowbird one ASAP.

Or just directly ask what you want, if someone wants to meet up with you.

Snowbird is pretty sweet. I've found the best parking is in entry 6, aka the Albion lot. Be sure to buy your Snowbird tickets in the valley, you'll find them cheaper than at the window at Albion. Once at Albion head up the Sunnyside lift and slowly work your way over to the Cecret lift being sure to savor all the pow you're sure to find. Enjoy the sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Snowbird is pretty sweet. I've found the best parking is in entry 6, aka the Albion lot. Be sure to buy your Snowbird tickets in the valley, you'll find them cheaper than at the window at Albion. Once at Albion head up the Sunnyside lift and slowly work your way over to the Cecret lift being sure to savor all the pow you're sure to find. Enjoy the sickness.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Meh anything west of Albion is just "Alta West" anyway

This video had all the tips you need to slay the gnar at the 'Bird
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

saw that in the other thread and looks like the most insane scene at the top there yikes!

but fwiw I wanted to vouch for superior as a good egg and skier for the snowbird trip
    I think on our 1st run together I accidentally sent him down alta 1 and he handled it well lol
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    This video had all the tips you need to slay the gnar at the 'Bird
    Wow talk about a Jong show on terrain flatter than vail

Try to find STH and organ grinder then hit tiger tail and hike into the baldy chutes.
    Be sure to tell everyone you see that they should stay out of your pow since your a pro or something like that
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Reading the responses from the locals and watching that video--what a sweet vibe. Just like surfing with the locals. I blame fat skis.

There just called skis now gramps, they been around for while.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Aren't you guys about the same age?

The bird does seem to have a more aggro vibe then the rest of the Wasatch. Last year just after the rope dropped into mineral as I was part of the pack cruising along path to paradise I was pushed, poked, shoved and almost raped before dropping in. The turns were great but it was quite the shit show.

It was an interesting comparison to Sunday at Soli when they opened the Summit gate. Probably 30 people lined up. Patrol opens the gate, everyone cheers and calmly and orderly starts the traverse. No raping that I could see. The turns were just as good too.

Yup, I remember--I used to put pine tar on the bottoms of mine (OK--my xc skis, but my first alpine skis had painted bottoms.)
    And why don't you learn to spell you young whippersnapper?

(The reference to surfing is what happens when an out-of-towner gets into the lineup at a popular break. I thought everyone knew that. I know that and I don't surf.)

Auto correct makes me dumb
    crab in my shoe mouth

I thought it came naturally

You kids just blaim you're poor spelling on autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Reading the responses from the locals and watching that video--what a sweet vibe. Just like surfing with the locals. I blame fat skis.
    eh. If you want a chiller locals vibe there's Soli, Brighton, Powmow, Snowbasin... if you want more of the "resort experience" there's Park City, Deer Valley... if you want to bring your three awful goblin sons named Colter, Forest and Hunter (and only those 3 names) somewhere they can be among their own kind there's Alta... Snowbird has great steeps, lots of great skiers, and lots of lines/tourons/terrible parking. So, as always with that combination, you get the aggro-tude stuff too.

If you get tired of it you can walk across the street and up 1500' and be in (relative) peace. It's really not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    eh. If you want a chiller locals vibe there's Soli, Brighton, Powmow, Snowbasin... if you want more of the "resort experience" there's Park City, Deer Valley... if you want to bring your three awful goblin sons named Colter, Forest and Hunter (and only those 3 names) somewhere they can be among their own kind there's Alta... Snowbird has great steeps, lots of great skiers, and lots of lines/tourons/terrible parking. So, as always with that combination, you get the aggro-tude stuff too.

If you get tired of it you can walk across the street and up 1500' and be in (relative) peace. It's really not so bad.
    Never said I don't like skiing Snowbird, I'd like it more without the dicks, but as you say, it all comes with the package. Alta's no different though. Although I do have a son with a name like those three--last time we were there (his first time) he was the first into Baldy main chute after it was opened a few days after a storm--beat all the locals, it was his first run of the trip. They got even though--he got called out for trying to boot pack East Castle.

In the future, PM Benny Profane, he's a local.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^^^Word. Bunny knows all.

I like how all the "locals" that have chimed in on this thread are 2 to 3 season locals straight out of Jersey.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    ^^^^^Word. Bunny knows all.

I like how all the "locals" that have chimed in on this thread are 2 to 3 season locals straight out of Jersey.
    Hey man I'm straight out of Connecticut, don't put me with those GTL pricks.

I'm so core I day tripped tuckerman's ravine once, and am now obviously the raddest skier in Utah. If you can't hang, it's no big deal.

but for real holy shit there's a lifetime of exploring and learning to be had in these mountains, I envy the true locals who got to grow up here and could only imagine how incredible growing up in these mountains could be

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Hello Bretheren,
    I am pilgrimaging to Snowbird for a possible dump tomorrow.

I don't want to waste half a day trying to figure out my head from my ass.
    Best place to take a dump at Snowbird is if you can sneak into the spa on top of the Clif Lodge.