Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bridger Mom Skiing with Kids

Saw this photo on Facebook of a mom skiing with her kids at Bridger Bowl. She clearly knows what's she's doing (note the tech bindings) and I say she's just a bad-ass getting it done, plain and simple. Of course the comments on FB are a bunch of people screaming "child endangerment" and calling her irresponsible. What say you?

Name:  momandkidsbridger.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  41.1 KB

I'm not going to judge her but why would using tech bindings mean she clearly knows what she's doing? I see tons of gapers using tech bindings at the resort, probably more than the ones using tech bindings that know what they're doing.

It's like the fucking 60 year old in bogner screaming at me for pulling my kids with my ski poles. She was convinced they would be impaled in the chest. Ended w me pulling my kids away and her going to call child protective services. Bitch.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Uggghhhh. So tired of the nanny state nonsense. Parents getting arrested for letting their kids play outside. I bet the idiots claiming child endangerment have no problem putting their kids in front of the idiot box.

She's awesome.

I ride almost every weekend with my 1 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I'm not going to judge her but why would using tech bindings mean she clearly knows what she's doing? I see tons of gapers using tech bindings at the resort, probably more than the ones using tech bindings that know what they're doing.
    I think he was being facetious.
    I don't see a problem with what she is doing. People are way over protective these days and love to criticize others on their parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    It's like the fucking 60 year old in bogner screaming at me for pulling my kids with my ski poles. She was convinced they would be impaled in the chest. Ended w me pulling my kids away and her going to call child protective services. Bitch.
    Wow. I do that all the time. Some people are just crazy.

I see no problem with it. Then again, I was also cool with my wife doing this:

Name:  Ski  Mom.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  99.1 KB

Like Farmer said: "Are you ok, then get out of my way." Dont really care what folks do altho it looks like she would want have one hand free if things go fubar. On a related note, I see quite a few little kids that look like that their not having fun. Thats whats it all about.
    I agree with aaron wright: Whether he was serious or not its true on the gear thing.

I'm not going to judge her
    I am, I'm judging her to be awesome. Attaway mom, raising healthy, smart, adventurous humans doesn't happen in a padded room.

Well I meant in the overall picture the tech bindings add to the impression that she obviously knows what she's doing, in general. She certainly doesn't look like a gaper by any means. That's all.

I also assume the infant is in a chest holder so she does have a free hand if she really needs it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

On the topic of tech binders a very pretty girl showed up at Chestnut a few weeks ago on tech gear (with boyfriend) and oldish ski outfit. I never see anyone on tech binders at Chestnut and so I ask her if she is planning to skin up and she laughs and starts talking to me in a euro accent. Boyfriend tells me she grew up in Chamonix and they hadn't skied for a few years living in Chicago. She proceeds to rip the bejesus out of the hill on softish skis. Super cool people and the tech binders weren't lying.

If anyone knows of a safer way to ski the 2nd virtue with a toddler, I'd like them to show me how!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    She certainly doesn't look like a gaper by any means. That's all.
    bending that downhill ski

That is one strong ass woman... I dont care whether your are a dude or a woman lugging your kid around either on the front or back is work...

Kudos to her for getting her kids outside and spending time with them... She knows what she can do and and I am sure as a Mom she would not put them in a jeopordizing position...

I'm okay with it as long as those kids are vaccinated.

only two things I could have an issue with.
    If it is really warm enough for no hat and gloves that poor kid in the snugglie is going to end up with some wicked heat rash.
    where dad?
    off your knees Louie

Well I meant in the overall picture the tech bindings add to the impression that she obviously knows what she's doing, in general. She certainly doesn't look like a gaper by any means. That's all.

I also assume the infant is in a chest holder so she does have a free hand if she really needs it.
    When I see someone with tech bindings at the resort my first reaction is almost never "they must know what they're doing" more like "whatever floats your boat" or "what a kook". Yes I realize some people only have one setup but you can usually find a complete downhill set up for the same price as a pair of tech bindings and why beat the shit out of your tech bindings?

Again, I won't judge her actions but what would you all say if she's just carrying the infant with one hand? Good for her getting her kids out. I do sometimes see kids not having fun, as mentioned, and I wouldn't do that but I know everyone has their own parenting style.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I consider myself to be a very strong skier, but I have no interest in strapping my child to my chest and skiing.
    +1

I am too risk averse, and then add in the fact she is trying to wrangle another one on a leash, then no not what I would do

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I see no problem with it. Then again, I was also cool with my wife doing this:

Name:  Ski  Mom.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  99.1 KB
    slightly different terrain than the OP posted up

oh, and your wife is way hotter, so there is that...

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I'm okay with it as long as those kids are vaccinated.
    I laughed

↑ Been there done that. ↑

I should clarify. I've skied with multiple children in tow and been yelled at by intrusive do gooders.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Saw this photo on Facebook of a mom skiing with her kids at Bridger Bowl. She clearly knows what's she's doing (note the tech bindings) and I say she's just a bad-ass getting it done, plain and simple. Of course the comments on FB are a bunch of people screaming "child endangerment" and calling her irresponsible. What say you?

Name:  momandkidsbridger.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  41.1 KB

in the video of this, she can be heard screaming "SEND IT , MADISON, SEND IT!!!!"

...parenting these days....

When I see someone with tech bindings at the resort my first reaction is almost never "they must know what they're doing" more like "whatever floats your boat" or "what a kook". Yes I realize some people only have one setup but you can usually find a complete downhill set up for the same price as a pair of tech bindings and why beat the shit out of your tech bindings?

Again, I won't judge her actions but what would you all say if she's just carrying the infant with one hand? Good for her getting her kids out. I do sometimes see kids not having fun, as mentioned, and I wouldn't do that but I know everyone has their own parenting style.
    I think a lot depends on where you ski as I'm sure there are regional differences. For example, at Alpine Meadows where I frequent you'll see tons of people on tech bindings and there's a good chance they'll be exiting a gate and making use of them. I don't see many gapers on those setups... or around Tahoe in general.

It's all good so long as she doesn't smoke in the car with them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Tech bindings doesn't mean much. There a lot of average skiers in the BC here in Utah, as they haven't had the luxury of doing a zillion lift laps to learn how to ski better. Odds are that Mom is a bad-ass though.

Anyways, I always wear tech bindings with my 3 year old. Then I can wear boots with a walk mode, they are overall more comfy than my in-bounds boots, and when you are carrying a SHITLOAD of gear AND your 3 year old in your arms, some light skis and bindings make it a bit more tolerable.

Trying to click into Beasts as your kid skis away by themselves is a major downside though.