Crosspost from TAY, March 4th, busy day

Thoughts on this discussion? I'm baffled, do people see "considerable" as the new "moderate"?
    http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...?topic=38047.0

^^ You forgot to paste

Aspect choices and slope angle are the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    ^^ You forgot to paste
    My bad, fixed.

There was a similar discussion on NWHikers shortly after the Tunnel Creek tragedy.

If someone told you that walking down a particular dark alley posed a "considerable" danger of getting mugged or murdered, you'd find another route. But when NWAC says there's a "considerable" avy danger, some see that as a green light. IME that occurs in part because NWAC often deems an entire sector to have "considerable" danger but notes indicate that the hazard is localized, e.g., wind loaded lee side top of ridges, which sometimes can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    There was a similar discussion on NWHikers shortly after the Tunnel Creek tragedy.

If someone told you that walking down a particular dark alley posed a "considerable" danger of getting mugged or murdered, you'd find another route. But when NWAC says there's a "considerable" avy danger, some see that as a green light. IME that occurs in part because NWAC often deems an entire sector to have "considerable" danger but notes indicate that the hazard is localized, e.g., wind loaded lee side top of ridges, which sometimes can be avoided.
    That's why it's important to read the discussion and observations and make your own choice if you decide to tour and where. Do people really pay attention to the details? I bailed on some friends today that were going sled skiing because one said "It should be a good day to search and destroy". I'm not sure they even read the forecast or discussion or are aware of recent avalanche activity. I told them to be safe.

I hate the turns all year forums with a passion.. so much anger and so much of it is dick waiving there these days.

That being said, NWAC does an amazing job of telling how it is and forecasting to the best of the available science. People need to remember forecasts are just predictions and nothing is ever 100% NWAC is a great place to get a general idea of what is happening but it is never a replacement for using your own eyes and most importantly your own brain to make decisions as conditions in the mountains are dynamic and conditions can and do change very rapidly.

Considerable hazard has always been the most dangerous conditions in my mind. When its high, its obvious its high and its easy to make conservative choices. When its moderate or low its easy to make decisions on what to ski. When it is considerable it is the hardest to decipher the grey area. My thoughts are that I have had so many days when I dont have to question the slopes I want to ski, so when I do find myself questioning those slopes, I just choose to walk away and wait for them to be in play again. I am lucky that I have the time that affords me to ski everyday, so I understand for the average weekend warrior its harder to make that choice so we need to work as a community to help reinforce that its cool to walk away from a line.