Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    IH,
    What flavor of graph are you getting?
    Allograph. Doc and I discussed it, and it seems to make sense with the combo of me being 52 yo and knowing that I will need a TKR sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Spent the entire day yesterday watching videos and reading research studies, and I feel pretty good about this. My only hesitation is that I wanted him to do the TKR now and get it over with. He wants to try and get me another ten years, to at least 62.

Been working out like crazy over the past several weeks prepping for the operation. Definitely feel strong and fit, with the exception that my knee occasionally buckles in a really disgusting way!

ACL Class of 2017

Based on the number of people I’ve met that aren’t happy w their TKR, put it off as long as possible. The success rate of satisfied customers seems about 50%. It’s def not anywhere near the satisfaction levels of hip replacement. I’ve met too many dissatisfied recipients and don’t want to have to make that call before totally necessary

Sounds like yours is very unstable. It’s a horrible feeling when it buckles. Did you feel improvement in stability from the exercise? Good luck!

Based on the number of people I’ve met that aren’t happy w their TKR, put it off as long as possible. The success rate of satisfied customers seems about 50%. It’s def not anywhere near the satisfaction levels of hip replacement. I’ve met too many dissatisfied recipients and don’t want to have to make that call before totally necessary
    That number is pretty low. Most studies are more in the 80% range. Setting realistic expectations prior to surgery is a big part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Purely anecdotal but I know/met around 10-12 first hand and the satisfaction is def under 80%. Mixture of lifestyles and ages. The two I know that were most active are the two most disappointed in the results as well and one of them did both to “get it over with” even though from his description his prior pain wasn’t that problematic , so he is worse off than his baseline going in. Eric Heiden being an Ortho and having both of his done at the same time gives me some reason to be optimistic

IH,
    What flavor of graph are you getting?

Snowshow, cool she’s the first first hand person I know of that had their quad used - unless I missed someone else checking in this thread earlier

I waited for you to adjust that.

In which case, I had my acl repaired with a chunk from the quad tendon.

Questions?

I had a feeling it had been said before but I was too lazy to go back and look. I think I even commented on it. I’ll reread and formulate some questions

Sounds like yours is very unstable. It’s a horrible feeling when it buckles. Did you feel improvement in stability from the exercise? Good luck!
    Interesting. I've met quite a few people this year on the slopes who were thrilled with their TKR. But, there is is surely some confirmation bias baked in! The guys who are skiing where and when I am are of course happy. The ones who aren't are home on the couch.

The bike is definitely helping, and I have gone from hobbling around to pitching batting practice last night. But it's still real unstable, and the brace is a requirement at this point (soft compression sleeve with some lateral rudders).