Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Nope. Mine is a medial tear right along the joint line, so this is especially relevant

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Man that extra sucks with 1&3 yr. olds. I’ve got 2&4s and it ain’t helping. Vibes and good luck to your wife! And you too.

Thanks for the vibes. I'm just trying to be as supportive as I can.

A couple questions for those of you who have had ACL reconstruction recently:

1. With a bad left knee, how long would you figure it took you to get to a point where you could comfortably drive a car with a clutch?

2. Is there anything non-obvious I should he doing to be supportive? She is bummed out and wants to do the work to make the comeback for next season. But she's scared of the effort she has in front of her and is worried that she won't be up for it.

Vibes shred, hope it’s a speedy recovery

I rip the groomed on tele gear

New member as of 2/12/19. Tore my left ACL and damaged the LCL. Doc said to wait a few weeks for the LCL to heal before surgery on the ACL. Going to another doc at a clinic that does a lot of pro skiers, see what he says.

Feeling so extremely bummed about this, I had everything lined up for a great season with minimal work load. Now living in a ski town seems just like torture.
    A little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying that maybe I can just get fit and do some spring ski-mountaineering before going into surgery, but this more and more seems like a stupid idea, especially with an eye out for next season, it would probably be better to just focus on next year and start the rehab asap.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    especially with an eye out for next season, it would probably be better to just focus on next year and start the rehab asap.
    Absolutely agree. Get it done now and you will be ready to go next season. Those extra few months of rehab and healing will make a huge difference IMO.

But it sucks you had this time set aside to ski and this happened. Truth is there's never a good time though. Good luck whatever you do.

New member as of 2/12/19. Tore my left ACL and damaged the LCL. Doc said to wait a few weeks for the LCL to heal before surgery on the ACL. Going to another doc at a clinic that does a lot of pro skiers, see what he says.

Feeling so extremely bummed about this, I had everything lined up for a great season with minimal work load. Now living in a ski town seems just like torture.
    A little voice in the back of my mind keeps saying that maybe I can just get fit and do some spring ski-mountaineering before going into surgery, but this more and more seems like a stupid idea, especially with an eye out for next season, it would probably be better to just focus on next year and start the rehab asap.
    I've had 3 ACLs over the years and speaking from experience, I don't think you would want to go thru a ski mountaineering season on a torn ACL. I kept skiing on my first one and whenever I'd hit really steep terrain it would buckle and then that would just tear up the meniscus. I probably would have been better off if I would have at least worn a brace, but they're a pain in the ass to travel with in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I'm slowly starting to accept the reality and am leaning towards getting it fixed ASAP.

Any of you guys have experience with a repair vs a reconstruction? LIke here https://kcorthosports.com/acl-repair-olympics/

I don't see a class of 2018, or 2019, so here it goes:

37 yr old male, mainly backcountry/ski mountaineering, 40 days a season. Took a 800' tomahawk down a couloir 3 weeks ago (late January 2019). I remember the flip that took them out and my yell, it was both knees in that flip. Left: Complete ACL Tear, complete tear femoral attachment of the MCL, sprain of the pattellofemoral ligament. Right: MRI says partial ACL tear, some fibers are still there, it checks out ok in tests, grade 3 MCL sprain, small stable lateral meniscus tear, sprain of the pattellofemoral ligament.

I've been in one non mobile brace on the left side and a limited mobility one on the right in the 3 weeks since the accident. Yesterday the surgeon increased my mobility on the left side so they're the same. They've wanted my MCL to heal, hence the locked brace. Head to PT in a couple days, meet with the surgeon again in 3 weeks, then head in ~3 weeks after that.

Doc recommends to get BTB on my left side and try and do rehab on the right. "We don't operate on MRIs, you have fibers there and it stops in the tests" He wants me to do a bunch of research and I'm getting a second opinion before our next meeting. I had been under the assumption I'd need reconstruction on both sides.

It's been hard watch all my friends rip this spectacular season we're having in Tahoe. Looking forward to starting my prehab Monday and then starting the long journey back. I hope to get out there next year.

Damn geo, that sounds like quite a tumble. I too am suffering inside watching an epic season unfold here in the Alps. I live right in front of the lift so there is no escaping it
    All I can say is accept it (tough!) and make a goal out of tackling this rehab as hard as you can. Right now I am building muscle mass before going into surgery in 2 weeks, in the hope of not loosing as much quad and hamstring the weeks after.

Keep up the positive attitude and remember, you are not alone!

wow, they didn't want to do surgery asap for that acl?

sorry to hear...I missed out on most of last year for a complete meniscus tear (had repair surgery), it sucks to sit at home, esp with the winter you're getting...get on the rehab, stay mentally strong

one of the ski instructors i work with tore his acl 10 years ago and didn't bother to get it fixed, he has some custom brace for it that seems to work well...although personally, i'd have done the surgery knowing how much instability you have just walking around

bknyc,

I was visiting a friend up in Canada. By the time I flew home, etc the swelling was significant, so they wanted to wait. They also don't want to do my ACL surgery until the MCLs heal up some.

It's good to hear about that instructor. I'm leery of just trying to rehab my partial tear while we have surgery and repair my full tear on the other side. Laying there waiting for the heli evac was an ordeal that I don't want to do again.

Just got a Pod K8 V2 knee brace. This thing is awesome, leg feels rock-solid in it and it doesn't hinder movement. Highly recommend for you fellow gimpy ACL mags.

here's a shitty pic of it from my insta story:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aclbrace.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	273087

And here’s how it fits with the ski boot. About one inch of clearance when standing upright, and it just lightly touches the top of the tongue when flexed forward.

Excellent brace.

Name:	IMG_5968.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	273970

aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Had my surgery yesterday. They managed to sow the ACL back together and add a internal brace to the ligament, rather than reconstruct with the hamstring tendon. Pretty psyched on that, cause it means recovery will be somewhat shorter, although initially i have to take it a bit more easy.
    First night was a bitch though, pretty painful and thus sleep deprived. But it's all upwards from here!

Had my surgery yesterday. They managed to sow the ACL back together and add a internal brace to the ligament, rather than reconstruct with the hamstring tendon. Pretty psyched on that, cause it means recovery will be somewhat shorter, although initially i have to take it a bit more easy.
    First night was a bitch though, pretty painful and thus sleep deprived. But it's all upwards from here!
    That's impressive that they were able to sew it back together, will probably make for a quicker overall recovery. Be careful with it for the next couple months, as I imagine that's a much weaker repair than the patellar graft until it fully bonds.

First few nights of sleeping are awful, but it gets better. I'd recommend taking a benadryl before bed, it helped me sleep through the night.

Yeah it seems it is becoming more popular again to repair. At least at the Swiss clinic I am now (www.klinik-gut.ch) they have been doing it for a while and report good results. Indeed the first few weeks you have to be a little more carefull, but my surgeon said at 6 months it is as good as new. Compare that to the hamstring graft that needs more than 12 months to become fully vascularised and attached to the bone!
    In the US this guy is also doing a lot of repairs:
    https://www.momotion.com/podcast/ep-...gory-difelice/
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dife...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah it seems it is becoming more popular again to repair. At least at the Swiss clinic I am now (www.klinik-gut.ch) they have been doing it for a while and report good results. Indeed the first few weeks you have to be a little more carefull, but my surgeon said at 6 months it is as good as new. Compare that to the hamstring graft that needs more than 12 months to become fully vascularised and attached to the bone!
    In the US this guy is also doing a lot of repairs:
    https://www.momotion.com/podcast/ep-...gory-difelice/
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dife...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Yeah that dude started following me on IG and it seems like he’s been really successful with it. He has patients with full ROM on day 5... and they’re back to skiing by month 4.

aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Class of 2019

Tore my ACL on 2.1.19. Replacement surgery done today. Wish I could have gone in 3 weeks ago. Glad to be moving forward, rather than waiting for surgery. The fun really starts tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    And here’s how it fits with the ski boot. About one inch of clearance when standing upright, and it just lightly touches the top of the tongue when flexed forward.

Excellent brace.

Name:	IMG_5968.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	273970

Really liking the look of this Brace/ not sure if I have permanent damage ..but 5 x my knee has suffered hits that send most mortals to the hospital

... worst has been recovering from a , calf tear/ tendon , lower hamstring, felt some mcl and meniscus damage too on that 1Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0224.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1,000.1 KB 
ID:	277637

was a few years now- but a parkin lot ice fall slowed it all up

*blah blah>thx 4 the Brace suggestion!

& maybe Gimp Central should check out sticky on that???? or do they already have section 4 knee braces in gear? >
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Aight, 6 weeks since ACL repair (not reconstruction) surgery today, so I ditched the crutches. Walking is fine, ROM is 0-120 degrees. Did a short stationary bike ride today. I've been on the stationary bike before, but only with shortened pedals, as to keep the ROM below 90 degrees. Now for the first time on a normal stat.bike. Knee is still stiff in the mornings but a bit of movement loosens it up. Excited for the next phase of rehab!

Doc cleared me this week for return to any and all activity. Said pain/swelling/etc might be present for up to 3 years, but the graft is rock solid. "Congrats, you've graduated!" were his words.

Naturally, I've been back to skiing since early February (while wearing the above brace), but yeah, feels really good to finally put this behind me.

How long post surgery?

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

A somewhat different perspective here. Most people's mileage will vary. I first tore my left ACL in 1981 playing flag football (actually warming up before a game). Surgeon then said ACL is funny. Some people need it more than others. And at that time the surgery was a full flaying opening of the leg. Very invasive. He recommended PT and see how it went. I skied over a hundred days that season. I avoided cutting sports like soccer and basketball for 23 years until the meniscus shredded on a trail run in 2004. I had patellar tendon graft along with 70% menisectomy, chondroplasty (smoothing out what was left), and microfracture. I was no weight bearing for four weeks, ran at 12 weeks, and skied tele on sand dunes with a brace at 15 weeks. Never looked back even though the repair was not as tight as I had hoped. It was still much more stable than it had been before. I stopped wearing the brace after one season, though I still have it in case I come to need it. I went on to run again and completed one ultramarathon in 2010 before right achilles tendonitis began to severely limit my mileage.

Three years ago I hit a tree with the left knee just at the bottom of the kneepad on the medial tibial plateau. My leg didn't break but I had nerve damage for several weeks that was super painful and then it resolved itself. The knee feels looser and my Lachman test has a lot of movement of the tibial plateau. I suspect the ACL is gone or mostly gone again but I have no problem skiing at all. Running is bad only because I have other injuries that crop up as a result of compensating. I really should consider myself finished running but I never say never and I'm a slow learner. There are days when the knee gets inflamed and I have to rest, ice, and take ibuprofen to knock it down. But once that resolves, I am good to go. I ski mostly backcountry and mountaineering. At my age, if I went to see a doc about it, they would tell me I am a candidate for TKR and I am just not ready to go that route just yet, though it probably is in my future.

I can still ski pain free on freeheel gear making every kind of turn I know how to make. I can hike and climb. I walk or ride my bike almost everywhere I go. I do tai chi and yoga, as well as typical knee rehab exercises on a bosu ball. I go to a personal trainer/physical therapist who does body work on my for hip, neck, and shoulder issues. He isn't any more worried about my knee than I am. There isn't much meniscus left in there to damage. And the microfracture surgery was a spectacular success. Most of the time I have zero pain and like I said, skiing is never a problem for it. I must have abnormal physiology to not need an ACL to ski at a high level. Lucky in the genetics perhaps?

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Well, shit Was one surgery down on my left leg. Rehab was going great on the right leg ACL reconstruction was booked for June 27, 3 months to he day after my left leg. Three weeks before surgery - Pop! Audible. Broke my patella doing a lunge. It was my front knee and was doing body weight, prescribed that day by my PT. Back to a leg brace. Right knee ACL delayed until at least Sept. Looks like another season on the sideline.They tell me this happens in 1% of Patella Autografts.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_skier View Post
    I don't see a class of 2018, or 2019, so here it goes:

37 yr old male, mainly backcountry/ski mountaineering, 40 days a season. Took a 800' tomahawk down a couloir 3 weeks ago (late January 2019). I remember the flip that took them out and my yell, it was both knees in that flip. Left: Complete ACL Tear, complete tear femoral attachment of the MCL, sprain of the pattellofemoral ligament. Right: MRI says partial ACL tear, some fibers are still there, it checks out ok in tests, grade 3 MCL sprain, small stable lateral meniscus tear, sprain of the pattellofemoral ligament.

I've been in one non mobile brace on the left side and a limited mobility one on the right in the 3 weeks since the accident. Yesterday the surgeon increased my mobility on the left side so they're the same. They've wanted my MCL to heal, hence the locked brace. Head to PT in a couple days, meet with the surgeon again in 3 weeks, then head in ~3 weeks after that.

Doc recommends to get BTB on my left side and try and do rehab on the right. "We don't operate on MRIs, you have fibers there and it stops in the tests" He wants me to do a bunch of research and I'm getting a second opinion before our next meeting. I had been under the assumption I'd need reconstruction on both sides.

It's been hard watch all my friends rip this spectacular season we're having in Tahoe. Looking forward to starting my prehab Monday and then starting the long journey back. I hope to get out there next year.

Absolutely agree. Get it done now and you will be ready to go next season. Those extra few months of rehab and healing will make a huge difference IMO.

But it sucks you had this time set aside to ski and this happened. Truth is there's never a good time though. Good luck whatever you do.