Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
    So basically, y’all are also paying a lot. (Iron Horse, thanks for your service).

The last few (three) years, my family has been paying almost $20k each year through high deductible insurance, including the premium. With an HSA card, I’m pretty sure I can only add something like $7k/annually.

ACL Class of 2017

That’s a big reason why I held off and switched to Kaiser. Out of pocket max down from >8k to a little over 1k. Although, I May regret that decisión now that I’ve finally met the Ortho I was referred to! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    (Iron Horse, thanks for your service).
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    So basically, y’all are also paying a lot. (Iron Horse, thanks for your service).

The last few (three) years, my family has been paying almost $20k each year through high deductible insurance, including the premium. With an HSA card, I’m pretty sure I can only add something like $7k/annually.
    I think you can do a $1,500 bump up to the HSA for extra expenses. For a family of 4 it is $8,300 total per year.

Not sure what your family income is but if it's not much over 100k you should check healthcare.gov. It also depends on if you have an employer offering you insurance.

ACL Class of 2017

Thx. $7k vs $8.3k is a pretty big difference. I’ll have to double check what is available to me (I thought it was closer to $7k).

My employer provides insurance. It is a better bottom line for similar coverage as available for my wife, who works for a school district.

Im a little surprised you get better Ins through your employer than your wife’s district.

For those who have used the DonJoy IceMan machine, did you go with the universal pad or the knee specific pad (the one with hole for the patella)?

^^^^^

I had a Breg polar care model but the knee pad was covered over the patella.

Not sure how one with/without the hole would affect much differently. Maybe if the patella was cracked and zero pressure was important...

ACL Class of 2017

Well, ski season ended badly for our 12 year old. She fell weird a week and a half ago skiing at A-Basin and tore her ACL and partially tore her meniscus. So fucking bummed as it affects so much we had planned in the next 9 months. She had just tried out and made a club bball team. She has to drop vball and ballet and cannot do her recital next month. And we had her signed up for a bunch of sports camps this summer she cannot do now. I had a backpack with her planned in the Tetons in June planned that we now can’t do. Plus 9 months off puts us at February next season for day 1 skiing. I’m so gutted.

ACL Class of 2017

Sorry to hear that SnowShow. A year ago I was with my 15 yo daughter when she slipped in the parking lot at Bridger and dislocated her right knee. This was after spending 4 months rehabbing her left one from another accident. Not as bad as what your daughter had happen but still really tough to go through. I remember her frustration and sadness worrying about activities she was going to miss out on. Gutted is a great way to describe the feeling as a parent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibes SnowShow. I watched my daughter go through multiple injuries and surgeries as a competitive gymnast. As a parent it was very hard. And it screwed up a lot of our plans. Sucks for sure.

That really sucks. I can’t imagine dealing w that at her age even tho I had a pretty traumatic knee injury in a car crash when I was 15. My kid also seems to have damaged her acl although the mri didn’t reveal much of anything a couple years ago, she seems to have ongoing problems w it. Nothing debilitating but enough to affect her wanting to ski etc. PT would help but not much motivation for it from a teen

SnowShow I feel you. This is a rough one all the way around. Sorry man.

We have to listen and adapt to the mountains, the woods, the waters, even if we don't want to. They decide. This is the same. You'll adapt and make the most of this, just like you would if you had gotten turned around by weather on your backpack in the Tetons.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 04-04-2024 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks all. She’s being a real trooper and seems very motivated to hit the PT hard after the surgery. One good thing is she has a lot of friends at school that are helping her with carrying stuff around while she’s on crutches right now, and giving her lots of support.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Horse View Post
    For those who have used the DonJoy IceMan machine, did you go with the universal pad or the knee specific pad (the one with hole for the patella)?
    universal was fine for me but I was a straight leg brace for 10 weeks while meniscus healed.

edit: sorry to read snowshow, it will get better.

Thanks Djongo and hawkgt for the info. Sounds like I'll go with the universal pad.

Snowshow, man that sucks. I'm going stir-crazy already, and I'm old and slow. Really feel terrible for your daughter. Sounds like she has the right approach, though.

ACL Class of 2017

Does anyone have PT recs specific for ACL in Denver? Cherry Creek area would be best.

ACL Class of 2017

12 year old got through her ACL surgery…went very smoothly. On to PT and recovery.

What type of graft did they go with? Glad it went well

Excellent, that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    What type of graft did they go with? Glad it went well
    It was a quad tendon autograft. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    12 year old got through her ACL surgery…went very smoothly. On to PT and recovery.
    Awesome! Time to do the work.

I go in Thursday. I'll be hoping for some of your daughter's youthful energy and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It was a quad tendon autograft. Thanks!
    Good decision, especially in a young female athlete

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

IH,
    What flavor of graph are you getting?

Snowshow, cool she’s the first first hand person I know of that got the hammy unless I missed someone else checking in this thread earlier

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Horse View Post
    Awesome! Time to do the work.

I go in Thursday. I'll be hoping for some of your daughter's youthful energy and recovery.
    Good luck!