Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    1st day back on the snow. Just under 9 months. I can tell soft snow is going to be a challenge but the groomers were great.

So I just found out I tore my ACL (sounds like it is totally gone, just got a text right after MRI from Dr friend at hospital) on Feb 13th. I have been skiing with a brace for the past 3 weeks with no issues, just a bit of pain. Worst thing was doing the trails with my kiddos. 2 days touring as well.

Sounds like more and more people are going without surgery? Anyone here done this and kept on skiing? I ski pretty aggressively.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    So I just found out I tore my ACL (sounds like it is totally gone, just got a text right after MRI from Dr friend at hospital) on Feb 13th. I have been skiing with a brace for the past 3 weeks with no issues, just a bit of pain. Worst thing was doing the trails with my kiddos. 2 days touring as well.

Sounds like more and more people are going without surgery? Anyone here done this and kept on skiing? I ski pretty aggressively.
    If you are < 50 and the ACL is completely torn, I would absolutely get it done. Just hitting the highlights... it will give out out on you when you least expect it (jumping over a puddle, walking on uneven terrain, etc), you will never trust that knee completely again, and it will always be in your thoughts.

Just my opinion being a 20something that got the surgery a few months ago.

Chris

I got the MRI and was told by some MD buds I have experienced "the unhappy triad"

10 weeks later whatever is left of the knee has healed & doesn't hurt but I don't trust that knee to ski or do much of anything SO I couldnt see NOT getting surgery

The cutter has read my file, sez I am non-urgent for surgery and a pandemic is a bad time to be needing non urgent surgery

so one buddy said " just get a brace and come skiing " but pull up a surg-med site and there are dozens of braces,

another buddy with bad knees and 4 knee braces sez i'm lucky it doesn't hurt

I think I will wait till the cutter is done
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Spoke with surgeon and he said since I am skiing, playing other sports, went wakesurfing the other day without issues to just leave it for a couple of months and re-evaluate. Some people are not ACL dependent. It's not like I would be getting surgery anytime soon right now I don't really have a choice. Just happy I can keep on doing what I like to do.

Hi all,

8 hrs after the spinal block and its wearing off after an (apparently) simple ACL Reconstruction.

Typical story apparently, trying to impress a girl and keep up with a pro. Got back seat in a landing and kept trying to stand back up to save face and back of the ski caught and
    ...rip.

Op was originally scheduled for 23rd March but that was the day Switzerland went into lockdown so had a month or so walking and skinning in the mean time. It was fine walking or skinning up but any sort of running or down was very unstable and eventually it would catch. Even worse was just standing in soft snow or cleaning the house.

Thanks for the tips in the thread. Definitely good to hear some positivity right now.

(Owww!!)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Bit of an update. Been 4 months since full tear and am carrying on normally without a ACL. Lots of activity like wakesurfing and skating, ultimate, pickleball (don't laugh its fast and fun) and working out. I am not even wearing a brace anymore and don't notice any pain or discomfort. Has not given out on me for months either. Pretty stoke.d

Is the constant paranoia that you've re-torn the repair normal for everyone it just me..?

Quote Originally Posted by ddraver View Post
    Is the constant paranoia that you've re-torn the repair normal for everyone it just me..?

While the paranoia is real, I think the general consensus is that if you actually re-tore it, you'd know it. Many of us have severely strained it by overdoing activities before the ACL is fully healed. If you don't have any new swelling or instability, you're probably okay--just take it real easy for a while.

Yeah, went to the gym today where my Physio works and tried to make eye contact so they'd ask how I am

She said it's a hamstring tear and to stop being so silly

5 months out from fucking it up I can bike pretty well which also seems to pretty good physio and helping the recovery so the knee is doing well

i always wear the knee pads, I ditched the clip less pedals on the mtn bike cuz I don't wana fall off and twist that knee

I was deemed non-urgent by the cutter after he looked at the picts but I got a consult with the cutter in a couple weeks, get surgery some time after that, skiing next season does not seem out of line
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-25-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ddraver View Post
    When I first got up on crutches and was able to shower, I somehow pulled a bonehead maneuver stepping out over the edge of the tub and landed on the wounded leg and my knee folded back so far I thought it was going to just break. Serious paranoia after that. Or.... I was so paranoid while making the move I just fucked up thinking about one simple step way too much.

had the video consult today which sounded pretty positive, buddy sez i got the knee of a teenager which i assume means no wear but he wants to see it next month for real and then I get cut on in september right here in small town hospitol ... I'm stoked

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    pickleball
    ah jesus christ man, I''d sooner post in the cat stoke thread than admit that.

Pray to ullr he doesn't find out or canada will be the new florida
    "Can't you see..."

I tore Meniscus and my 30 yr old ACL graft in May when the kids were remote schooling. My 12 yr old son kept wanting to play hoops every day as spring AAU was cancelled and baseball was on hold. Knew it was a bad idea but started getting into it despite being a god 25 lbs overweight. Made the mistake of starting to jump. Jumped to block a shot and heard and felt a pop, but no pain.

The next day I had medical pain and tried to take a gentle bike ride. That hobbled me and I knew I minimally tore Meniscus.

Got the MRI showing the full extent of the injury in June and had surgery on October 12th. 13 days out I'm walking with one crutch with a fairly decent gait.

The surgery is night and day from what it was 30 yrs ago when I was 21. Had an immobilizer on for 5+ weeks back then with no weight bearing. This one, weight bearing as tolerated from the befinning. The pain level is 10% of what I recall as an uber fit 21 yr old. Really unbelievable difference in techniques.

Dreaded therapy, as my PT is about 5 foot and 100 lbs, and I had bad memories from of a petite PT leaning on my ankle to crank my knee for flexion. This time I had 90 degrees on my own and full extension - no cranking needed!

I know I am out for skiing this season, but there is always a chance for a few April turns. Hoping the healing and strengthening process continues to go well and looking forward to ditching the remaining crutch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    ah jesus christ man, I''d sooner post in the cat stoke thread than admit that.

Pray to ullr he doesn't find out or canada will be the new florida
    Dude you obviously haven't played with fit younger athletic guys. Don't knock it. It was a big part of my mcl comeback. So much cutting and quick change of direction. I am dripping sweat after a couple of games.

^^^ haha thanks for that. Some cougs in there. Its mainly older 50+ ladies here in Vernon. FYI i am only 40 so not quite the retired dentist demographic.

Update to say i.ve fully graduate by riding this year without my brace!

Thought about doing it last year but didn.t make it happen.

I knew that my resistance was all mental so just went for it on day 1. All good feels great man!

Sticking to the snowboard though... sold my skis and have no bothered to get new ones. Got a new splitboard instead.

Haven't heard any others in the class of 2023. I did my right ACL and meniscus 1/8/2023 and had surgery 2/14. They have me in a DonJon brace locked at full extension and non-weight bearing for 4 weeks. Post op pain was more manageable than anticipated, I haven't needed the strong stuff yet just the Tylenol they sent me with. The brace and crutches are the most annoying part now. Started some straight leg lifts and heel slides a few days ago, feels good to start moving it but have a ways to go. First follow up with surgeon in a week and start official PT a few days after that. In the meantime, it's supposed to nuke tomorrow, still hard to come to terms with missing pow days but I know I'll be back.

Congrats on your brace-free season sparkle! Welcome back

so I guess i'm in this thread as well, i got cut-on sept 29 2020, I did 6 days of hydro morphine and then extra strength IBU cuz I didnt like the Tramadol they gave me, I had no real issues post op

Then I was seeing the PT every month to monitor the recovery, it was covid season so everything was locked down, i was a very good boy did the 9 months of rehab and did not fuck up the repair, so I skied last season and this season. The knee is not quite what it was so I'm only doing blue & green runs but at least I am still skiing, livivng/ sleeping / skiing / mtn biking with no pain, I would say the knee seems pretty stable but is still weak , I got a gym pass and have logged almost 100 days this year, I'm hoping for a more of a recovery by september which will be the 3 yrs from surgery.

I asked the surgeon ( a back country skier with a new ACL) which brace and he said " if I did a good job you won't need one, I used a brace the first year and i haven't since " the knee seemed pretty stable so I skipped the brace

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so I guess i'm in this thread as well, i got cut-on sept 29 2020, I did 6 days of hydro morphine and then extra strength IBU cuz I didnt like the Tramadol they gave me, I had no real issues post op

Then I was seeing the PT every month to monitor the recovery, it was covid season so everything was locked down, i was a very good boy did the 9 months of rehab and did not fuck up the repair, so I skied last season and this season. The knee is not quite what it was so I'm only doing blue & green runs but at least I am still skiing, livivng/ sleeping / skiing / mtn biking with no pain, I would say the knee seems pretty stable but is still weak , I got a gym pass and have logged almost 100 days this year, I'm hoping for a more of a recovery by september which will be the 3 yrs from surgery.

I asked the surgeon ( a back country skier with a new ACL) which brace and he said " if I did a good job you won't need one, I used a brace the first year and i haven't since " the knee seemed pretty stable so I skipped the brace
    I have it in my mind that I'll be able to ski at full strength by next season, maybe a slower early season start but hoping to feel really good by the middle and end of the season. Reading through this whole thread and your last post gives me pause there though. Sounds like that full recovery has taken longer for some people so I should be cautiously optimistic and keep my expectations in check.

XXX-er do you mind if i ask how old you are?

I blew my acl at 45 and was definitely not full strength the first season back. Probably never be fully back but the second year was much better and now it just depends on my conditioning and the current state of my relentless IT band syndrome.

I suck at rehab, so my strength comes from doing my sports, and that isn't ideal. Also, for me, making money requires a working knee so pushing myself out ahead of my rehab. was never an option.

You can do it. The end of the first season on snow you can rip. Younger and less arthritis will make it easier, older and more arthritis make it harder. Just be patient.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mst1228 View Post
    I have it in my mind that I'll be able to ski at full strength by next season, maybe a slower early season start but hoping to feel really good by the middle and end of the season. Reading through this whole thread and your last post gives me pause there though. Sounds like that full recovery has taken longer for some people so I should be cautiously optimistic and keep my expectations in check.

XXX-er do you mind if i ask how old you are?
    The PT sez it takes 3 yrs to fully recover from ACL surgery and i expect to take ever y bit of those 3 yrs , an orthopeadic surgeon I skied with last week sez ACL is a major surgery and gave me a consult on the chair

I'm 66, been retired since 49 , doing fine touring and alpine skiing 75+ days a year until I did the ACL at 63, had to take 2 yrs off so its harder to come back and i am running out of time TO come back but i havent given up yet

also did alot of biking & paddling, now I also I got bursitis in the hip on the other leg so I can't sit in a boat ... sold all the kayaks

bought a big honking E-big, Braap !

so I'm assuming I might be starting to age out but i havent given up yet

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I blew my acl at 45 and was definitely not full strength the first season back. Probably never be fully back but the second year was much better and now it just depends on my conditioning and the current state of my relentless IT band syndrome.

I suck at rehab, so my strength comes from doing my sports, and that isn't ideal. Also, for me, making money requires a working knee so pushing myself out ahead of my rehab. was never an option.

You can do it. The end of the first season on snow you can rip. Younger and less arthritis will make it easier, older and more arthritis make it harder. Just be patient.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Yeah I'm the same as you, never been one to exercise for exercise sake - i just like doing my activities and some of them happen to be decent workouts... I haven't started PT with a Dr yet, still just doing leg lifts and heel drags at home until my first appointment next week. I'm feeling psyched to work hard at it right now but knowing myself keeping that psych up will be one of my biggest challenges over the next 6+ months.