Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I used to wear similar braces, gave em up and never looked back. I’m a 2x L/R survivor.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I used to wear similar braces, gave em up and never looked back. I’m a 2x L/R survivor.
    Why'd you give them up?

I've noticed some people like Chris Benchetler seem to wear their brace every time they go skiing.

I never had a brace for ACL surgery #1 and did ok. But they got me one this time, a huge clunky thing that is almost full leg length. It made a big difference in terms of stability while I tried to hobble around the house the first few days without my crutches. I don't need it around the house now but the doctor has ordered a functional brace for me that he wants me to use whenever I go out, and for activities. Haven't picked it up yet, but I'll be using it especially when I get back to biking until the doctor says I don't need it. I was going to get a knee brace for moto riding anyways so I'm hoping this one can cover me for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I never had a brace for ACL surgery #1 and did ok. But they got me one this time, a huge clunky thing that is almost full leg length. It made a big difference in terms of stability while I tried to hobble around the house the first few days without my crutches. I don't need it around the house now but the doctor has ordered a functional brace for me that he wants me to use whenever I go out, and for activities. Haven't picked it up yet, but I'll be using it especially when I get back to biking until the doctor says I don't need it. I was going to get a knee brace for moto riding anyways so I'm hoping this one can cover me for that as well.
    Thanks, this is good info.

I'm gonna beg my doc for one then. Either CTi or DonJoy.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post

I have a DonJoy custom brace as recommended by my surgeon. I have been wearing it for three ski seasons, although this year I started not wearing it sometimes. I can certainly tell that the knee/leg get more stressed when I'm not wearing it, it's noticeable (a little soreness at the end of the day that quickly dissipates), but I felt at some point wearing it ALL the time was preventing me from fully regaining some of the finer muscle strength that comes from skiing long, hard days brace-free. I do think skiing without it has helped increase my leg strength.

That said, on days with deep, heavy snow, or icy shitfuck conditions--when the old knees are really getting an extra beating--I still strap it on for peace of mind. I kind of let the conditions dictate the decision on a daily basis now.

The DonJoy a great brace. I don't mind wearing it, aside from the extra time it takes to put it on when I'm jonesing to get skiing.

I wore a brace at work for 6 months post op because doctors/work orders. Saved my ass but it really was a bummer wearing that thing. As soon as I stopped wearing it at work I felt like my progress really took off. Long story short...being forced to wear it really made me hate it.

I did not ever wear it skiing, instead I just took it easy the first year because I am old and needed to check my skiing speed anyway. I feel like next year (season 3 back in skis) I will finally be able to rage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by uglymoney; 05-19-2018 at 09:15 AM.

FWIW, my surgeon talked me out of getting a brace until I'm ready for physical activity at my pre-injury levels. His argument was that having a brace would lead me to a) do activities I shouldn't be doing yet because the brace artificially boosts my confidence, and b) wear the brace for shit I should do without the brace, thereby reducing the muscle development of some of the smaller muscles. He agreed to give me one a little earlier than normal if I'm recovering well, but really really didn't want to give me one at this point (2 months out from surgery).

I got a custom DonJoy Defiance and wore it for most of my first season back. After I was a year out from surgery in March I started to taper off of it, and I ended the season not wearing it at all. I definitely appreciated having it for the first few months back, because I started skiing 8 months post surgery. Anyways, I'm selling it if anyone is interested in buying it.

So I had my second post op appointment today (surgery was a month ago, May 3). Surgeon said everything is looking great but then added - no biking on pavement for another 2 to 4 more weeks. PT has been encouraging me to ride the trainer ever since I could get in a full pedal stroke on about day 10, and to go out and ride pavement the last week or two. He was stoked that I did a 90min ride yesterday. Going a little stir crazy sitting at home. I think the surgeon is being a bit too risk averse. I also got chastised for not wearing brace to the appointment, which I came to from work. Had been previously told I didn't need to wear it at "safe" places like home or work. I don't want to fuck up and re-injure it, but from experience I'm more likely to do that dicking around the house than I am biking around the 'hood. So...who do I listen to? Or just compromise and ride but not for any brewery tours?

I would do what you are comfy with...wear your brace on the bike in case you have to put your leg down and be careful. I went back work full on 8 weeks after surgery. I run ramps and deal with heavy product that I have to push around. I was riding my bike for a good couple weeks before going back to work but can't remember exactly without looking it up on the thread. Take off your clipless pedals at first! Twisting out of those things was a scary nightmare.

Thanks. I use flats all the time anyways. I'll probably continue to ride. Keep it to flatter ground and no dirt. Yet. The brace isn't very comfortable to ride with but I'll see if I can make adjustments to it. I'm going to ask the PT for any suggestions thoughts next appointment.

I had no problem riding with the brace and I hated that thing. Kind of hot and sweaty but losing a healthy acl putting down a leg on a bike during a fall isn't all that uncommon...so definitely wear it for now.

Why'd you give them up?

I've noticed some people like Chris Benchetler seem to wear their brace every time they go skiing.
    I injured a meniscus once while wearing a Lenox Hill, yeah that’s how long ago.

The braces while providing loads of support aren’t a given for protection during a rotation of the joint. They excel at side impact prevention.

That being said, my current doc who is a ski team guy is not a fan of them. So I followed his protocols and have had great results.

There’s no substitute for a healthy ACL with a strong muscle system supporting it.

YMMV

Hey class, has everyone graduated?

I've been on my board this year, taking a break from the skis until I get some new ones. Been feeling good! At first I was feeling pretty tentative, so I did a return-to-sport testing protocol that I found online (hopping, distance, and balance tests). To pass the affected leg has to perform at least 90% of the unaffected one. Mine was the same and in some cases better, yeah! So that gave me way more confidence.

There's still a mental game, learning that every little feeling in my knee isn't a bad thing and how much I can push it. It's best if I have less chance to think about what I'm doing. Last week I got some nice pow and tree runs in which was way better. Just had to let my body do what it knows how to do instead of thinking about what my knee is doing. Learning to trust it.

Yesterday I even did a few cat track side hits and got the littlest bit of air.

A few things are a bit lagging, like I am not using my back/affected leg as powerfully as I should be, which is probably mental. Sometimes I think can feel a slight weird torque like when I'm stopped and front-to-back hopping to get going, or when I ride switch it feels freaky and I can't manage more than a couple turns. I'm sure that will all come as I do it more.

I am pretty stoked with how well I'm riding considering I have barely had any riding time for the last 3-4 years, and I am feeling strong, so yay on that. I do miss touring and skiing, so a split and/or new skis are in the future.

It's been interesting to get psyched to ride groomers haha, I'm for sure a pow snob on my board. Like, oh, hmmm, why go riding if it's not pow?! Putting in the vert is what will get me back to where I want to be though, so I keep thinking of that.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Hey class, has everyone graduated?

I've been on my board this year, taking a break from the skis until I get some new ones. Been feeling good! At first I was feeling pretty tentative, so I did a return-to-sport testing protocol that I found online (hopping, distance, and balance tests). To pass the affected leg has to perform at least 90% of the unaffected one. Mine was the same and in some cases better, yeah! So that gave me way more confidence.

There's still a mental game, learning that every little feeling in my knee isn't a bad thing and how much I can push it. It's best if I have less chance to think about what I'm doing. Last week I got some nice pow and tree runs in which was way better. Just had to let my body do what it knows how to do instead of thinking about what my knee is doing. Learning to trust it.

Yesterday I even did a few cat track side hits and got the littlest bit of air.

A few things are a bit lagging, like I am not using my back/affected leg as powerfully as I should be, which is probably mental. Sometimes I think can feel a slight weird torque like when I'm stopped and front-to-back hopping to get going, or when I ride switch it feels freaky and I can't manage more than a couple turns. I'm sure that will all come as I do it more.

I am pretty stoked with how well I'm riding considering I have barely had any riding time for the last 3-4 years, and I am feeling strong, so yay on that. I do miss touring and skiing, so a split and/or new skis are in the future.

It's been interesting to get psyched to ride groomers haha, I'm for sure a pow snob on my board. Like, oh, hmmm, why go riding if it's not pow?! Putting in the vert is what will get me back to where I want to be though, so I keep thinking of that.
    Good to hear that you're on snow, tarte

^What he said.

When you get back in skis make sure you keep your leg bent on your acl'd knee. I was making up for a lack of strength by skiing that leg straighter after recovery and it has been a hard habit to shake.

Awesome news sparkletarte, glad to hear you are back on snow!

Please welcome me to the early 2019 class. Meniscus tear according to the doc. Waiting on MRI to see if it’s worse. Hoping I’m not part of the ACL class (no offense). Either way my 2019 season is over before it began. Waaaah.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My wife blew up her ACL yesterday. Given that we have a 1 and 3 year old and she can't pick the kids up or get up and down the stairs, my season is looking pretty shot, too.

^^Oh man...that sucks. Hope her recovery goes well.

Thanks guys!

Been hard to motivate for groomers this week. Need some pow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My wife blew up her ACL yesterday. Given that we have a 1 and 3 year old and she can't pick the kids up or get up and down the stairs, my season is looking pretty shot, too.
    Man that extra sucks with 1&3 yr. olds. I’ve got 2&4s and it ain’t helping. Vibes and good luck to your wife! And you too.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Please welcome me to the early 2019 class. Meniscus tear according to the doc. Waiting on MRI to see if it’s worse. Hoping I’m not part of the ACL class (no offense). Either way my 2019 season is over before it began. Waaaah.
    tore my meniscus (completely in half) 1 year ago to date… had surgery to repair it, was out for 6 months. It's a tough recovery mentally, but you'll feel great once you're back on the snow

the type of meniscus tear i had (radial) - doc said it would have been better if i tore my acl too along with it fwiw

Good info. I may check back in with you with questions. Def. curious about the acl too comment from your doc. Why?

the type of meniscus tear I had doesn't get a lot of blood supply, this is also why an ACL tear also requires surgical repair. They can't heal on their own since the inside of your knee doesn't get a lot of blood. But when a doctor does an ACL graft, they're creating a new blood supply since it requires a lot of drilling into the bone to attach the ACL graft, that new blood supply also helps the meniscus.

I did not tear my ACL, but the surgeons did two additional procedures to hopefully improve the meniscus repair. The first was a PRP injection; basically taking blood plasma from my hip bone into the knee. The second was microfracture surgery; the surgeon made microscopic holes in my knee to draw bone marrow into the affected area.

If you tore your meniscus on the outer periphery, you should thank your lucky stars and be grateful for avoiding 6 months of what I had to go through.