Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    woohoo!! way to bounce back!

it sure is! yes get up here! next year though. would love to show you all around.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    Things are going well! I thought my surgery leg was shrinking so we measured.... Turns out it did grow a little bit but my non surgery leg was growing more... Like it,s almost 2" bigger! Haha! My hammy is only at 50%- graft feels great but i don.t trust my hammy to hold it together. How people function with tiny muscles i have no idea.

Made myself a balance board.

Had my first wipe out on ice the other week. Exciting time! Let out a scream of fear, it hurt but more from the sudden compression. Iced for a day and good to go.
    I can relate. During my recovery I had a ton of slips at work on slippery surfaces...always with the brace on. Super scary but the brace always seemed to save me. I don't miss that part of the recovery.

I didn't have my brace or my cleats.... knew it would happen sooner or later and good reminder to wear the cleats! I wear my brace for tromping in the snow and to parties, haha. Because parties are like sports, safety third and all that.

It was so nice after 5 seconds of terror to realize oh yeah we're good.

Mrs Cruiser is about ten day out from ACL surgery. Anyone have some tips for me as a caregiver? Specific products to aid in early symptom relief and recovery? General best developed practices?

If this has already been thoroughly discussed then feel free to call me out for being such a damned dirty jong.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'd suggest weed and bourbon. But I'm not sure what Mrs. Cruiser should take. Good luck to both of you.

Good books and movies at home. Take her to the brew pub for beers with friends to cheer her up. A good laxative if she is still on pain pills. She will be gimpy and depressed for quite some time. It will be a burden on you. Try to be patient. Oh and an extra large bag of frozen corn or peas from Costco for icing after PT. Good luck hope she recovers well.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    Ah Fuckity fuck. After skiing 10-30 days a year for the last 35 or so years...beleive I have finally punched my ticket to this club. On a tiny jump on a wet southeastern slope about 3:00 PM yesterday. Doc drew fluid this AM, said it was bloody and that is pretty damning for either ACL or bad meniuscus tear. waiting for MRI to be scehduled. He said given my age (a litl bit north of 50) recommends Cadiver tissue, doesn't like pateller and hamstrings are for kids in thier teens/20s, so he says.

So i did a little reading, I gather they schedule surgery off just a bit, you work out pretty had bulding muscle before surgery, then lots of PT after. Others go the Cadiver route? continuing to read...
    I have had ACL reconstruction on both knees using the Patella tendon. It gives you the strongest replacement possible. The rehad is less with the cadaver though. Best of luck with the surgery and rehab.

A couple weeks ago I went back to Silverton 2 years after I blew my acl there. It was awesome. My 2 year surgery anniversary was March 21st. Onward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29087933_162903511081702_6882703302501335040_n.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	230002

bluebirdskiTwo years ago today I had acl surgery on my right knee after tearing it completely on a fall at Silverton Mt in 2016. Last week, with the helpful encouragement of @sagebrush94, I returned to Silverton to bite the dog that bit me. It turned out to be a great snowy powder day shared with some of my favorite people. Another step forward. My first major injury shook me to the core and gave me a chance to reset my perceptions and expectations of myself and others. I hope I have emerged a better person. I know I judge strength differently than I used to. Certainly I have a greater respect and understanding for others that have suffered setbacks and managed to overcome and adapt.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BglrkP8j...by=bluebirdski

Are those your wife’s skis?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Are those your wife’s skis?
    Lolz. Yeah they look short. 184 BG and I am 6'2". Never got on the long ski band wagon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So what you’re saying is your skis LOOK short, but in real life you would kick buttahs ass?

Congrats on the healing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    So what you’re saying is your skis LOOK short, but in real life you would kick buttahs ass?

Congrats on the healing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks! They do look short in that pic though...at least the beard is full on powder send it length. Note to self to hold them straight next time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoa, whoa, I’m a lover not a fighter. Come on y’all. I still like clean doses and whatnot.
    I just thought he was being a good guy and carrying his wife’s skis and whatnot.

Wait in the car
    crab in my shoe mouth

Thought I might chime in here.. guess I'm technically Class of 2018. 32nd birthday surgery in Colorado with Steadman-Hawkings... Full ACL from the hammy, meniscus trephination. About to go nuts here in Denver -Grinding on my CX bike until my member goes numb. New sensations every day at this point.

Me too. 42 and just got a patella graft.

20-ish years of partial tears and I’m kind of relieved to finally get it rebuilt.

Kind of steering away from using a brace and focusing more on knowing my limits.

Thoughts/experiences on braces?

Had my second right knee ACL reconstruction a week ago, on May 3rd (age 39). First one was 15 years ago. Used the hamstring for that first repair. For this one, used the hamstring from my left leg. Surgeon recommended against cadaver given longer healing time and higher failure rate. And since I was already having knee pain biking and hiking he also recommended against using patellar tendon as that helps hold the knee cap in proper alignment and using it could make the knee pain worse.

Was at the surgery center 630am, and home by 11. Now at 7 days, and so far so good. Been doing exercises and icing it constantly. Surgeon wanted me to start physical therapy right away, so I got in on Monday. Second appointment was today. Measured maximum knee bend at 93* on Monday and 109* today. Able to extend the leg to 3 degrees from straight. 110 is about what you need to do a pedal stroke on the bike, so I am almost there. Next week hope to start doing some light weight-bearing exercises. I'm pretty stoked on how well it is going so far. After the first surgery I was on crutches til my post-op appointment at about day 12, and didn't even start physio til after that, so I am a couple weeks ahead of where I was back then. I'm able to move around pretty well now and have had minimal pain.

This is the retarded crash that took me out. Exiting a trail system the trail goes around this concrete barrier. My handlebar caught on a piece of chainlink fence that was sticking out which I didn't see. Going at slow speed, but it still jerked my bar to the side and I put my foot down to try and keep from falling. The bike got awkwardly hung up as that happened, and my body momentum carried on to the side while my foot planted. Pop!

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Kind of steering away from using a brace and focusing more on knowing my limits.

Thoughts/experiences on braces?
    I never used a brace during my first surgery/recovery and didn't have any problems. This time around, they gave me a pretty burly brace to wear for the first couple weeks then I will get some sort of soft brace to wear the next few months. I've been using the burly one for hobbling around without my crutches. It makes a big difference in terms of stability and comfort. The biggest thing during recovery is getting your swelling to go down, which is something that crutches and braces both help with. Personally I'd use one or the other until your surgeon and/or physical therapist says you don't need them. If you're comfortable without it, go for it. Braces aren't covered by a lot of health plans so the cost can be a consideration too. Wrapping the knee up with a long tensor bandage can add a fair bit of stability too, though it isn't comfortable for long periods.

Anyone need a post-op knee brace? I'm finally out of mine and would be happy to pass it along to another mag for the cost of shipping. I have two, and I believe they're the Breg T Scope Premier braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Mrs Cruiser is about ten day out from ACL surgery. Anyone have some tips for me as a caregiver? Specific products to aid in early symptom relief and recovery? General best developed practices?
    I'd highly recommend an ice machine if you have an ice maker at home. I would definitely not recommend one if you use ice cube trays... my partner's patience wore pretty thin after three days of filling and spilling ice cube trays. And don't withhold the drugs!

Ice machine pro tip: Freeze a dozen mini water bottles and run 6 per batch through the ice machine. Our machine's reservoir is well insulted enough that the water would stay cold for hours. So 2 sets of frozen bottles was enough to have us running cycles of ice on a timer for like 15m on and 30m off almost indefinitely.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Ice machine pro tip: Freeze a dozen mini water bottles and run 6 per batch through the ice machine. Our machine's reservoir is well insulted enough that the water would stay cold for hours. So 2 sets of frozen bottles was enough to have us running cycles of ice on a timer for like 15m on and 30m off almost indefinitely.
    Excellent advice for those with the fancy ice machines like GameDay... Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't care about my recovery and wouldn't pay for one so I had to get one of the shitty cooler style ones (Breg Polar Cube, I think). It was nowhere near big enough to use frozen water bottles.

But on the topic of ice cycling, my surgeon's advice was not to cycle (i.e. just ice as much as possible for as long as possible) and just to be careful about frostbite. Anyone else get that advice? I feel like cycling on/off is the standard approach.

Amazing how slow the progress is. Mrs C is 2 months post-op and she's a long damned way from where she was before the surgery. Vibes to those beginning this process. That said, my bil is ~3y post-op acl+meniscus and says his fixed knee feels much stronger than his regular one when he's playing hockey.

^^Two months was probably the lowest of the low points for me. Ugh, hard to even think about it now. Time heals, though. It will pass. Meantime take her out for beers with friends or to a wine bar or something. Good for morale.

When I had my first ACL repair I was told to get an Aircast cryo-cuff. Still have it, so that is what I am using again this time. It's not super cold but works pretty well. One batch of ice lasts almost all day. When I'm sitting, I leave the cuff on then just raise/lower the cooler to drain and refill the cuff (gravity fed). Might be cheaper than some other options out there. https://www.betterbraces.com/aircast-knee-cryo-cuff Could probably get it on amazon or ebay, too.

Easiest way for me to do ice to freeze water in partially filled tupperware containers. 3 of those ice pucks plus a handful of cubes fills the cooler up perfectly. I tried a frozen water bottle but it didn't seem to keep the surrounding water cold as well as ice does.

My recovery is coming along. 3rd PT session was today, which is day 12 post surgery. Leg is now at 2 degrees for extension and 115 for bend. I set up the trainer in my living room over the weekend, and was able to do some pedal strokes. Knee was feeling tight at the top of the pedal stroke, but that has gotten better the last couple days and it is now easy pedalling. So I'll be pedalling 10-20 mins a few times a day to keep the knee loose and moving. Started light weight-bearing exercises at PT today. Getting the strength back is the hardest part about recovery, so I'm stoked to be getting to work on that so soon.

Tore my ACL April 15, surgery scheduled for June 19.

What are everyone's thoughts on DonJoy defiance braces during rehab and wearing it for skiing after? I really want to get one as I think it will do me a lot of good... anyone have personal experience with it?

How do I convince my doc to 'prescribe' one so that my insurance will cover it partially?