Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    INterestingly, ANY type of brace (other than the immobilizer after surgery) has not come up even once in my treatment. not from the doctor, PA, PT guy, not once.
    I've read studies that say braces don't do anything and studies that show a marginal benefit. However, with all the time and money that I've spent on surgery I'm willing to use the brace even if it only helps the tiniest bit. At the very least it's a good reminder to take it somewhat easy.

Like uglymoney said, work hard at PT! At a minimum I would say plan on 1 hour a day of exercises, stretches, mobilization, etc. If you can dedicate 2 hours per day that would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

Also good luck Marshall and Sparkle! I missed thread till now but I did read about Sparkles injury on the BBI thread.
    Thanks!

I finally feel like I'm on the right track now that I have a great new physio.

2/6- initial tear skiing
    2/? two physio apts and saw my gp to assess, yep it's tore
    3/9- reinjury from snowboarding after ok'd by the physio (pro tip- don't do that. And if your physio seems off the ball, get a new one. Her exercises were also bunk.)
    3/20- reassessed by gp, yep it's tore
    4/11- saw new physio who was aghast that the first one let me go riding. (pro tip- while waiting for physio, don't do post-reconstruction rehab, it's different!)

New physio says I also have damaged my mcl and have a minor meniscus tear. I've lost a ton of muscle. My vmo quad has been on vacation, and now my patella isn't tracking right so I have to keep it taped up (if you feel any twinge behind your patella when doing a mini squat/stand-to-sit, that might be a patella issue.... which can cause a lot of problems.). Fortunately I have a bike trainer, estims, and time, and am doing 2-3 hours of rehab a day. Hitting up the gym starting tomorrow to rebuild the rest of my body.

I'm seeing an ortho surgeon in 2 weeks and a sports med doc in a month (long wait, she's been away and is the only one here). I'm getting a ref to a 2nd ortho in Banff (the knee place).

Now that the snow has finally melted I can go outside but my yard is filled with uneven ground so it's not the best. I'd like to get a brace asap so I can actually do stuff. The way things move here I might not have surgery until the fall. Lots of time to get strong!

^ Your in canada (?) and have NOT had surgery to repair, is that right?
    "Can't you see..."

My ACL is thankfully intact but one my meniscuses folded over like a taco 4 weeks ago. 3 weeks and 4 days out of surgery (thank you UCSF Ortho Institute), still on crutches, can't bear any weight, but feeling better every single day. 3 more weeks and I can drive a car again! PT guy says I might even be surfing by the end of summer.

Heal up, take that PT seriously!

^ Your in canada (?) and have NOT had surgery to repair, is that right?
    Yes. Unless it.s work related it usually takes a while.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkletarte. View Post
    The opposite of the US...at least at my company.

Bummer about the diagnoses but at least you know what you're up against now.

Whoa. that sucks. I met with the ortho surgeon the day after the accident, Surgery within 3 weeks of accident. Then again, imagine your price is better than mine. I do have excellent insurance, though, and all in about maybe 1.5k.
    "Can't you see..."

Interestingly I have not seen the surgeon since 2 days post surgery, and my last scheduled PT visit was yesterday, exactly 4 weeks post-op so I asked some questions. Physcian's assistant said they generally only see you, after that 2 day visit, only if I request or if something is going wrong. The trainer confirmed I'm doing my exercises relegiously so they cut me to once every other week for PT. still can't play tennis or run, and if you think of the Manning brothers sports center commercial where payton kicks eli in the ass from behind, that motion is a total fail.
    "Can't you see..."

I saw my surgeon three or four times over the course of a year after the surgery, at his request. Seemed like more than anything he just wanted to monitor my progress. I don't know what the norm is.

My surgeon told me to get lost after three months or so. 'Call me if you have an issue or questions' . He did lay out a timeline for returning to activity.

I'm 3 weeks post-op and I've seen my OS 2 times and will see him again in another 3 weeks. My PT is scheduled 2x per week for 6 weeks. I could do more PT if it's necessary. I'm on week 2 of PT.

I think there are too many variables to compare post-op treatment. So much is about you and your injury as well as insurance.

I saw my surgeon 1 week after surgery and 6 weeks after surgery (I'm 7 weeks out now). My next appointment is 3 months after surgery, then 6 months after surgery.

As far as PT goes I went twice a week for the first 6 weeks and now I'm down to once a week for the next 6-8 weeks. My PT said that people generally need help in the beginning with ROM and towards the end to get back that last bit of athletic performance, so I'm going to save a few visits.

I've been on my feet a good amount recently and one thing that I found that helps to prevent swelling are compression sleeves that go from your ankle to above your knee. I bought ones made by Mojo on Amazon and they seem to work well.

Whoa. that sucks. I met with the ortho surgeon the day after the accident, Surgery within 3 weeks of accident. Then again, imagine your price is better than mine. I do have excellent insurance, though, and all in about maybe 1.5k.
    yep! But the price I pay is time.

Saw my ortho and sports doc. Ortho says yes acl with torn meniscus lower lateral, which is a common combo. I'm on the fast-tracked list which is a 3-4 month wait (regular is 6+). Also on the cancellation list so I'll be working that angle as much as possible. I'd really like it to happen this month so I can enjoy my summer and go to festies without being super fresh out of surgery (yes with a brace and a lot of sitting around).

Sports doc said I haven't lost as much muscle as it feels like and there's much less swelling than she'd expect (I only get swelling if I'm up all day and don't bike, even then it's minimal). She also approved of my local surgeon.... for the knee clinic in Banff the wait would be around a year, so no to that.

Ortho does hamstring, which they both say is the better option. So now I wait!

My patella is way better, although my knee still feels wobbly. No walking down slopes.

Trying to envision if the 3 weeks I had between injury and surgery was really 6 months. that would suck. hope you get in soon!

All about the rehab now, guess i'm about 1.5 months out from surgery. Full range of motion, can take stairs up 2 at a time down "normally" (much more challenging), can't do either at a "run" yet. pretty much doing only weight machines and balance stuff, seem to have full range of motion. Lately i've been able to raise my foot behind me, grab my ankle with my oposing hand behind me and pull (i.e. standing quad stretch) with just the tinest amount of pain. every once in a while I'll try to jog a bit and it feels really weird. Hope that goes away soon, most folks seem to say they are jogging at 3 months. also doing about 550-600 calories on a combination of eliptical and stationary bike, and a lot of upper body work. about 2hrs in the gym probably an honest 4, maybe 5 times a week. Benching 185 again which was weaksauce in my 20s, but I'm pretty proud of it in my 50s.
    "Can't you see..."

got a cancellation slot and am going in next tues! woohoo! dreams really do come true.

now I'm busy filling my freezer and prepping for couch rest.

good luck, sparkletarte!

got a cancellation slot and am going in next tues! woohoo! dreams really do come true.

now I'm busy filling my freezer and prepping for couch rest.
    good for you man. Looking back, the contraptions that ice your knee, there grate and all, but damn they are expensive for what amounts to a week's application at best. I do wish a few days beforehad I bought a couple of whoppin bags of frozen corn. Best damn thing for icing ever.
    "Can't you see..."

I bought one of those big flat FlexiKold gel 13 x 21.5 inch packs to wrap my knee. My PT had them and they work awesome for icing your knee for a few minutes after exercise and they are only $25 on Amazon. The family still finds plenty of use for it now that my knee is mostly healed up.

A giant Costco bag of frozen peas worked well for me. I still use one sometimes when the knees are feeling sore. Just really makes them feel better.

Glad to hear you got a cancellation sparkletarte--you will surely be ready for next ski season, so that's awesome. Best of luck with the surgery and rehab.

haha, I'm filling my freezer with food so I don't have to cook! but yeah I have a bunch of ice packs so I can wrap my knee. And thanks!

Day 2! Feeling all right. Hamstring is the sorest thing! Sleeping well.

My scope record says meniscus is fine so that,s awesome. Just abnormality on the medial femoral condyle, the upper inner femur bone buldge that themcl attaches to. Makes some sense as i,d been having pain around my mcl if i walked a couple blocks. Doesn,t look like anything was done to it so i,ll find out, prob a time heals kinda thing.

Seeing my physio next week. In the meantime working on rom and muscle contractions so far. Hopefully in a day or two i,ll be ready for the bike.

Reading whatyou didright away marshall is hardto imagine right now!

heal up!

Glad you got it done. You'll be surprised with some work how fast it comes back. The pain, difficulty sleeping, etc. that was pretty much over by the two week mark. Then again, I did cadaiver material vs. hamstring graft so I may not be the best comparison.

this past friday PT session was exactly 2 months out from sugery. Did mostly speedladder drills, including jumping about 2ft "over a square" iniating the jump from 2 flat feet and landing on the ACL leg only. At the end of the session the PT guy said "you're done." "Hit the weight room hard for another month, do the speed latter stuff. Hit the tennis ball "easy" no matches until 4 months." and with that I'm on my own!
    "Can't you see..."

yeah I've heard from others that the hamstring is the longest part to get back. Can't stretch it, work it, or do much for another 6ish weeks as it's so easy to tear.

my rom is 17/70. Not as much as my physio wants to see so working on getting it to full extension. loving the cryocuff, I use it for several hours a day.

marshall still be careful.... my physio said week 6-12 is the most likely to reinjure due to lack of blood flow. I'm to see her until at least the 6 month point. I don't know, you might want a 2nd physio opinion as what you are saying contradicts what I've been told/read/everyone I know who's had it done... it's generally 6 months before return to sports. Tennis esp with the side movement, pivoting, etc. I couple refs I've found helpful- Dr Millett rehab protocol, Fowler-Kennedy protocol. Maybe you are extra special haha, but speaking from bad physio advice experience....

nice to see how well you are doing at 2 months, I'm looking forward to it! interesting you aren't being told about a brace- my ortho says don't bother but my physio and everyone i know who's had it done says yes. I'm going with yes.
    Last edited by sparkletarte.; 05-31-2017 at 11:03 AM.

i had a patellar graft. i've heard the comparisons and mine has not been perfect but the idea of having to rehab a hamstring does not sound fun.