Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Incredible cold tolerance don't get the light colored golden get the rust color and if male don't neuter cuz it increases cancers. Hauls ass in deep pow or on a mtn bike.

I've got a dark golden female that looks just like that. Great biking dog, she's fast and knows to stay out of the way. With a harness she'll give a considerable power boost and pull my fat ass on a fat bike up the hill.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

OP, what dog did you end up getting?

Anyone have a mini bernedoodle they can comment on? Looking for good temperament, trail worthiness and below fifty pounds. The wife has her sites on one but not sure if it's worth the $$$.

Nice bump, got to see this for the first time:

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    so cool

If you are looking for a dog to go on trails in the winter with you, what could be better than an actual sled dog?

https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/sleddogs.htm

A lot of sled dog breeds (huskies in particular) aren't always the best trail dogs as they are super independent and so recall can be an issue.

I just found out that my trail dog is 1/2 Australian Cattle Dog, 1/4 Catahoula Leopard Dog, 1/8 Beagle, and 1/8 unclear. I was somewhat surprised. The shelter had her listed as a cattle dog mix, but I always thought that a GSP mix was more likely given what she ended up looking like. I was wrong there. Given our experience with her, I'd probably go with another Cattle Dog mix if I wanted a trail dog under 50 pounds. She's a bit insane (or was when she was young/when the mailman passes), but overall she grew into a really nice dog who has been great with our now 3 year old son. We go on runs or bike rides every day. She's slowing up a bit in hot weather, but is still good for a decent workout and when it's cold she'll run indefinitely. Maybe it's the great grand beagle, but she never exhibited the nipping that Cattle Dogs are known for.

Brittanies would seem a natural fit as well. I've also known some good athletic schnauzers. If 50 lbs is more of an idea than a strict line, you can be open to more bird dog breeds like viszlas and setters.

Edit: Heh, I read back over the thread and saw that I posted almost the exact same thing two years ago. Thankfully my opinion remains consistent for once.