Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Trail dog suggestions

We've been without a dog for quite a while now....5-6 years. Kids are getting old enough to help and we're thinking about getting another one. In NO rush, in fact we may still be a year out but I could use some suggestions from those with more experience than I.

Last dog- Shiba Inu Chow mix. OK trail dog, but often got distracted. Loved the snow. Was a total bitch. He hated male humans, and despised other dogs....particularly if they were small. Hunted like a sunova bitch---often came home with things like rabbits, skunks, other dogs, etc. Needed a country mile to run---and checked in very little. Amazing watch dog. Definitely the good with the bad.

Our slate is clean. We will pay for the right breed and will drive a long ways (not preffered) to get him/her.

Requirements:
    -Dog must be up for adventures, particularly of the biking and skiing variety.
    -Must be ok with kids and ok with other dogs (we live in a residential neighborhood on 1-acre on a lake with other similar houses/set ups around).
    -Puppy only....I just can't do the adoption thing again. It was just a little too emotional last time with our Shiba/Chow and while I LOVED that dog, he just had too many things we couldn't control.
    -Sub 50 pounds. 30 to 40 is the sweet spot for us I think.
    -Little to no shedding (strangely this is the one thing that has stopped us from getting a dog)...we need to ease back into it.

Wishes (not deal breakers but would be nice):
    -A little protective, but not overly so
    -Not too high energy BUT willing to get out. If I had to choose I'd take the energy over "lazy"
    -Ok outside in the winter for an extended period of time (we often spend several hours snowshoeing/skiing and we live in a cold climate)
    -OK with a dog sitter and MAYBE even a kennel

It feels very weird to say "design the perfect dog"...I've always been a rescue person. But I think now is the time in our life where if we're going to have a dog, it should be the right one otherwise it won't be as fun as it should be.

Breeds we've thought of:
    -Aussie Doodle
    -Blue Heeler
    -Shiba Inu/Doodle mix

Obviously we like the doodle mixes because of the shedding thing. Yes---I'm as sick of them as the next person but you cannot deny those benefits.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear some other suggestions.

It's worth noting that often a dogs behavior can change during adolescence. The dog you get as a puppy isn't necessarily the dog you have as an adult. Without any other dogs in the home, not a big deal, but maybe keep it as a consideration.

We got a rescue Aussie Sheppard mix about 2 years ago. He has been a lot of what you describe. He was 9 months old when we got him, so we had to build trust with him, but he has come around nicely. Will hike/snowshoe for hours, never show signs of being cold. He can be very protective of the house when visitors come, but does not act aggressive with just us. We also like that he stays pretty mellow in the house unlike a lot of Blue Healers I have been around. He does shed, so that may be a deal breaker with you.

Quote Originally Posted by nopainnojane View Post
    We got a rescue Aussie Sheppard mix about 2 years ago. He has been a lot of what you describe. He was 9 months old when we got him, so we had to build trust with him, but he has come around nicely. Will hike/snowshoe for hours, never show signs of being cold. He can be very protective of the house when visitors come, but does not act aggressive with just us. We also like that he stays pretty mellow in the house unlike a lot of Blue Healers I have been around. He does shed, so that may be a deal breaker with you.
    So when you say Aussie Sheppard mix, would that be the same as Australian Cattle Dog and Australian Sheppard mixes? Like this: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37445296?

Shedding is not a deal breaker, it just depends on the intensity. How would you describe your pups shedding?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    whoa...cool pup.

We have a 50/50 border collie / australian cattle dog mix (at least that's what DNA testing said, no idea of its reliability).

He's a rescue to some of his shit may be due to his time on the streets. Seems to fit a lot of the criteria:

Requirements:
    -Dog must be up for adventures, particularly of the biking and skiing variety.
    Yep yep yep
    -Must be ok with kids and ok with other dogs (we live in a residential neighborhood on 1-acre on a lake with other similar houses/set ups around).
    Yes, except huskies. He's racist as fuck against them. May be an rescue issue.
    -Puppy only....I just can't do the adoption thing again. It was just a little too emotional last time with our Shiba/Chow and while I LOVED that dog, he just had too many things we couldn't control.
    -Sub 50 pounds. 30 to 40 is the sweet spot for us I think.
    42lbs
    -Little to no shedding (strangely this is the one thing that has stopped us from getting a dog)...we need to ease back into it.
    Sheds but not horribly. If I brush him 2-3x a week for 10 minutes it takes care of it

Wishes (not deal breakers but would be nice):
    -A little protective, but not overly so
    A little protective, but gives up that easily for ear scratches
    -Not too high energy BUT willing to get out. If I had to choose I'd take the energy over "lazy"
    I think we got lucky. Ours has energy but isn't a dick about it
    -Ok outside in the winter for an extended period of time (we often spend several hours snowshoeing/skiing and we live in a cold climate)
    I've seen him get cold after 1 hr of slow-activity in 10F. But as long as we're moving and its above 10F he's good longer than I am
    -OK with a dog sitter and MAYBE even a kennel
    Yep. Ours does daycare without problem once a week

So in short -- cattle dog mixes maybe added to the list. Probably with something a bit more winter coat.

My friend has a hound mix that may be an even better fit for your categories. Less demanding energy wise and I've never seen it get cold on our couple of tours in the Tetons.

Friend has a Duck Toller. Def not a trail dog. Coat is too long (think golden retriever length coat). You want a dog that will not accumulate snow balls in paws. I'm thinking Jack Russel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKka0rbJ9gk
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    So when you say Aussie Sheppard mix, would that be the same as Australian Cattle Dog and Australian Sheppard mixes? Like this: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37445296?

Shedding is not a deal breaker, it just depends on the intensity. How would you describe your pups shedding?
    Ours is longer haired, not sure what he is mixed with, only guess if breed was by his running speed. He weighs is around 40 lbs, very long and low body. I would say if he is groomed regularly he sheds very little compared to our beagle mix we had before. Name:  IMG_0508.JPG
Views: 626
Size:  94.3 KB

Bernese mountain dog mixes are awesome. Bernese are great dogs on their own but too susceptible to cancer. we have two mixes, one is half Aussie shepherd, the other is half Golden retriever. They are impervious to cold. Literally couldn't care how cold it is out.Super loyal, friendly, chill but always up for adventure. The ones you see most are poodle mixes, wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernedoodle

The answer for every "what type of dog" question is- Lab. Choose your color and enjoy for 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Bernese mountain dog mixes are awesome. Bernese are great dogs on their own but too susceptible to cancer. we have two mixes, one is half Aussie shepherd, the other is half Golden retriever. They are impervious to cold. Literally couldn't care how cold it is out.Super loyal, friendly, chill but always up for adventure. The ones you see most are poodle mixes, wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernedoodle
    +1. A friend has a Bernedoodle and it is a great trail dog. However, when you get into the >70lbs. range, there are many, incl. Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Swiss Mountain Dog
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    +1. A friend has a Bernedoodle and it is a great trail dog. However, when you get into the >70lbs. range, there are many, incl. Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Swiss Mountain Dog
    I'll have to look at the Bernese. That might be a great option as I've seen a few around here and they've always been intriguing. Would love a bigger dog but I think for space reasons we need to stick to the medium breeds.

We have a big mini aussie. 40 lbs. He loves hiking and can go all day. He runs back and forth between our group if we get spread out but never strays or wanders. Big enough to hang with big dogs and small enough to fit in our car. He likes frisbee but LOVES hikes.

Sheds some but not nearly as bad as other dogs I have had.

Loves kids and other dogs. He will sometimes pester other dogs in a fun playful way but with unmatched persistence and so I have to watch him around strange dogs that might not like him over staying his greeting.

High energy but if we have a lazy day he is lazy too. Definitely a much better dog when he gets out and some play is mandatory everyday or he'll kind of get annoying looking for something to do but he never destroys anything or acts like too much of an asshole. He is a stubborn dude though. I know from a FB group that one of his siblings is on her 3rd home...unimaginable to me and not sure why but definitely a dog that requires someone attend to their intelligence.

@justcuz: Purebred Bernese tend to die really young, I think the average age is about 6 at death, mainly from cancer. But the crosses seem to do well, our one guy is 9 now and going right along in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    @justcuz: Purebred Bernese tend to die really young, I think the average age is about 6 at death, mainly from cancer. But the crosses seem to do well, our one guy is 9 now and going right along in good health.
    I just read that they have a little bit of a cancer issue. That is a bummer---so I'll stick with the cross on that! Seems like a really quick consensus was built on either an Australian Shepherd or Bernese mix of sorts.

Brittany
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

A small female Vizsla would be about 40-45. High energy, but if you channel it, they are great dogs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	201757

I'll submit a vote for a Bernese cross as well. Great mtn dog, especially in winter, but do not do well in the heat. My malamute-Bernese cross had a great disposition, especially with kids, and tolerated other dogs until late in life (patience for the little yappers declined significantly); his size (95lbs at his prime but looked much larger due to his mane) was the biggest motivator to keeping the peace with most other hounds. Not the fastest on the trail following a bike, but could maintain a lope all day long as long as there was sufficient water available. He shed enough that I could have knit a sweater from his undercoat every other year, but he enjoyed the grooming and it was only an issue twice a year. He was not a fan of swimming (when his undercoat got wet it took forever to dry)

Here's your dog. Smaller version of the Greater Swiss. Need action, love kids, moderately protective, shorter coat, can handle the cold, smallish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entlebucher_Mountain_Dog

If you can get past the shedding requirement a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd fits your bill. Make sure you find a breeder that specializes in "companion" dogs and not working dogs. I've found that this is 99% of the reason why people who get one of these say they're "too energetic" or "needs a ton of exercise". More than a fat lab? Absolutely, but don't blame the dog because you didn't put in the due diligence to find the right pup/breeder

You know what else is the key? Spending a few hundred bucks and a couple weeks on a quality trainer early on in the pups life if you're not able to put in the hard work and long days that will give you and the dog a lifetime of happy results. Doubly so for extremely intelligent breeds like the BC.

Also out of all the damn doodles in my family I have yet to meet one that hasn't had the smarts of the poodle bred out of it. Sweet dogs, but man are they dumb and stubborn as oxes.

Here's our BC. Companion dog bred, incredibly smart as shit, obedient to a fault, soft as all get out, filler of Dyson vacuums, lover of the trail and completely chill as fuck when we ask him to be. PM if you want a breeder rec.

Name:	IMG_6366.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	201764
    I still call it The Jake.

Going on riding 16 years with Miniature Australian (AKA North American) Shepherds.

Our pup Rill starts going for little rides in May.
    Here she is getting schooled on the trail by her big brother Ozzy.

On the trail down by Lake City last summer.

Name:	20160809-IMG_6074.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	201766

I would not get a doodle if you don't want to pay a groomer. The no shedding isn't that great when you have to comb them all the time plus dirt sticks to them way worse than mist shedding breeds, and they track in sticks and stuff in their hair... which also collects snow.. see murphy in Doggie stoke.

You want a lab/cattle dog/Shepard cross. Serious. Get a shelter dog and spend your savings on obedience training classes.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Love that shot...