Tahoe next weekend... coral reef, ice?

So it looks like my trip will be devoid of precipitation, with lows below and highs above freezing.

Should I just bring hard snow skis and prepare myself for a week of groomer skiing?

I'm assuming off-piste will be refrozen coral reef crud that one doesn't even wish upon their enemies?

Or by afternoon do the 40 degree temps soften it up to the point it is skiable, enjoyable, and not rattling every object between snow and the skier's head?

Not exactly. It could rain. ;-)

Forecasts can change very quickly for the area, so don't panic quite yet. We just got a 2-3 foot dump (still going right now) that 10 days ago wasn't even on the extended forecast. You may want to check in on the Tahoe discussion thread during this week as more people will see it and chime in. What days are you going to be there? The later half of the weekend and following week could end up being good at higher elevations.

EDIT: and just like that, the latest model updates have the storm(s) coming in colder. Sunday could end up being a pow day and the following week could be pretty decent.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-05-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks for reply.

Now it's looking like a bit warmer, so hoping that means afternoon corn.

Yeah, the storm appears to be missing us completely to the north, which is a good thing compared to rain. Should make for some decent corn skiing with temps in the 40's but cold enough to freeze at night.

But again: it's Tahoe so it may completely change by the end of this week.

Well, I got some good corn, and California sunshine!

Did Squaw Friday. Good conditions for me to get on the lines I wanted to ski (Palisades, both directions off KT-22, and the Headwall). Also got to see some ladies WorldCup GS racing.

Like the vibe up there. The Funitel is bizarre. And there's some serious terrain inbounds that is not roped off as it would be at other piste-less open-mountain ski resorts.

Gotta say both of Lake Tahoe's trams are a blast from the past!

Heavenly is a great place, though the layout is super tough to navigate. They really need about three more lifts to make it easier. Mott Canyon had prime mashing conditions for tourists like me to enjoy, and zero lift lines.

But my lunches were $43.50. Umm hmmm.... boo, lunch at squaw was only $33.

The Coral Reefs are getting depleted... The Main reason is Global Warming and Sea Water getting Polluted

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post

Did Squaw Friday. Good conditions for me to get on the lines I wanted to ski (Palisades, both directions off KT-22, and the Headwall). Also got to see some ladies WorldCup GS racing.

Like the vibe up there. The Funitel is bizarre. And there's some serious terrain inbounds that is not roped off as it would be at other piste-less open-mountain ski resorts.

Heavenly is a great place, though the layout is super tough to navigate. They really need about three more lifts to make it easier. Mott Canyon had prime mashing conditions for tourists like me to enjoy, and zero lift lines.

man that's an expensive place.

Quote Originally Posted by euanj View Post
    man this is an expensive sport.
    Fify.
    Why the bump for last spring thread?
    Getting ripped off by Vail is hardly news.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post

expensive place, huh

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Fify.
    Why the bump for last spring thread?
    Getting ripped off by Vail is hardly news.
    Because it's rog, what would you expect.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Thanks guys, I've found some goot tips for myself here