Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bump.

Looking for advice on adding a pressure tank to a well-based home water system. We are on a shared well with two other houses and there's no pressure system at the well itself. We are uphill from the well and our pressure is inconsistent and low across the board. Looking to put a pressure tank in here at the house; we have a propane powered instahot hot water heater it would feed.

I know zero about plumbing, so trying to understand if this is a good plan and if besides determining well output to the house, there's anything else I need to consider with regard to pressure tank size.

Many thanks, mags!

Anyone have knowledge to drop?

Our house came with a pressure tank for the well. Tank is located in the basement, well is out in the yard and the pump is deep down in the casing. Well is just for our house.

Without a pressure tank, your pump would have to run at all times whenever there's a call for water. I thought pressure tanks were standard.

I haven't done any work or maintenance on the tank. It's been 8 years since we moved in.

Not much help, but that's all I've got.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

Without a pressure tank, your pump would have to run at all times whenever there's a call for water. I thought pressure tanks were standard.
    Good point. I would guess there's some kind of system at the pump house (I'll see if I can get in there), but with the other demands on the system, our water pressure is pretty lousy. My in-laws are 100yds away from us, but on their own well and have a pressure tank under the house that feeds directly into their plumbing. Great pressure, zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Our house came with a pressure tank for the well. Tank is located in the basement, well is out in the yard and the pump is deep down in the casing. Well is just for our house.

I haven't done any work or maintenance on the tank. It's been 8 years since we moved in.

Not much help, but that's all I've got.
    Same here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I would expect that there is a pressure tank and pressure switch in the pumphouse.

The switch should be adjustable to control the water pressure. You will want to adjust the water pressure at the switch and then accordingly increase the air pressure in the tank.

Probably want a well pump guy / plumber to do this since it's a shared system.

Don't think you can do anything at your house to boost pressure since you are limited by the pressure coming out of the pumphouse.

No expert but I imagine there is one pressure tank, managing the well pump and serving all three houses. If the other owners have similar issues maybe you can all three split the cost of an upgrade.
    If not, are you the at a higher elevation than the other two houses?

Maybe you should just mount a 2000gal poly tank to your roof and have your own water tower. I'm sure you would recoup that cost when you sell.........
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    I would expect that there is a pressure tank and pressure switch in the pumphouse.

The switch should be adjustable to control the water pressure. You will want to adjust the water pressure at the switch and then accordingly increase the air pressure in the tank.

Probably want a well pump guy / plumber to do this since it's a shared system.

Don't think you can do anything at your house to boost pressure since you are limited by the pressure coming out of the pumphouse.
    My thinking is to add a larger, 100gal pressure tank at the house that has a higher draw down amount and should therefore be able to pre-supply a decent amount of higher-pressure water then what is being built and disributed down at the well (assuming it has a presssure tank).

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    No expert but I imagine there is one pressure tank, managing the well pump and serving all three houses. If the other owners have similar issues maybe you can all three split the cost of an upgrade.
    If not, are you the at a higher elevation than the other two houses?

Maybe you should just mount a 2000gal poly tank to your roof and have your own water tower. I'm sure you would recoup that cost when you sell.........
    It's a shared family property, which makes the upgrades/decisions a little more complicated. The well serves two residences and an orchard/greenhouse setup that draws a lot of water 6mo of the year. Doing a poly tank up the hill from us isn't a bad thought, but I would guess that would need cleaning? Our house isn't used often and water would sit weeks/months unused.

Are you saying you get good initial pressure but the pressure quickly drops with use?

Pressure tank at pumphouse may have failed. They typically don't last that long.

first off you will need to locate and identify all the components in the system starting with the
    depth of the well. pumps? storage tank(s)? pressure tank(s)? filtration? and see how all this is plumbed together. size (hp) of pump(s)? what is the elevation gain from pressure pump to your house? distances involved?
    multiple dwellings on a single pump or pump and pressure tank combo is usually problematic, as you
    are experiencing. even well designed and built systems can be difficult to keep in tune.
    relay as much as you can about what is there and i'll hopefully get you headed in
    the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by k.clegane View Post
    first off you will need to locate and identify all the components in the system starting with the
    depth of the well. pumps? storage tank(s)? pressure tank(s)? filtration? and see how all this is plumbed together. size (hp) of pump(s)? what is the elevation gain from pressure pump to your house? distances involved?
    multiple dwellings on a single pump or pump and pressure tank combo is usually problematic, as you
    are experiencing. even well designed and built systems can be difficult to keep in tune.
    relay as much as you can about what is there and i'll hopefully get you headed in
    the right direction.
    Yeah I gotta imagine multiple units off one well/tank combo is crazy, especially if there is any measurable elevation gain.

Do they offer "booster" tanks or something?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

You can have your own pressure tank in your house, and a booster pump; you’ll need a 3 or 4 stage backflow valve to prevent your higher pressure from flowing upstream and damaging other people’s plumbing. Not recommended, and probably not code, but can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Anyone have knowledge to drop?
    This lot are all dentists, I would try a plumbing forum might even be a few real plumbers with shit under their fingernails
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the right direction.
    Well that was a very sober and constructive first post. Seems sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well that was a very sober and constructive first post. Seems sketchy.
    Don't fuck with that guy. He'll get his brothers over to pound on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    This lot are all dentists, I would try a plumbing forum might even be a few real plumbers with shit under their fingernails
    Nah, I'm a glutton for the questionable but earnest opinions that waft around the bowels of the Padded Room.

Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Are you saying you get good initial pressure but the pressure quickly drops with use?

Pressure tank at pumphouse may have failed. They typically don't last that long.
    Pressure stays the same, for the most part while using. It varies at different times during the day, but that's likely just from the other two users taking supply at that time. I looked at the well's pressure tank this weekend and it shows pressure.

depth of the well. pumps? storage tank(s)? pressure tank(s)? filtration? and see how all this is plumbed together. size (hp) of pump(s)?
    what is the elevation gain from pressure pump to your house? distances involved?
    Well depth is probably around 100ft? Not sure anyone here knows specifically.
    No storage tank or filtration system that I can see. Not sure on pump HP.
    One large 45-65gal pressure tank at the pumphouse, it appears to be set at ~30psi.
    Our house is about 30ft in elevation above the pump and about 150ft of distance away. The other house on the pump is 50ft in elevation down and 500ft away. The third user is a greenhouse/orchard that's about 600ft away and maybe 5-10ft up in elevation. It consumes a lot of water in the summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    You can have your own pressure tank in your house, and a booster pump; you’ll need a 3 or 4 stage backflow valve to prevent your higher pressure from flowing upstream and damaging other people’s plumbing. Not recommended, and probably not code, but can be done.
    Good point, especially as we are the highest up.

Somewhat plumbing related, don't know where else to put this shit (pun intended)

Over the winter the plow smoked a vent pipe for the leach field at the GFs parents place. Had to dig down about 5-6ft to get to intact pipe.

In the interest of getting this done ASAP I bought SCH40 pvc which is overkill but it's all the local wholesale shop had. I forgot about wall thicknesses in my haste, so naturally the SCH40 coupler is too large for the existing SDR-35 pipe.

I found this product online that I'm about to purchase so it hopefully shows up before next weekend.

https://drainageproducts.us/6-pvc-dw...ushing-sp-x-s/

Can anyone confirm this is going to work? My plan is to stick the bushing in the SDR-35 side of the SCH40 coupler.

That should work but SDR-35 is the better choice for this application due to its flexibility.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I might have a fun one coming up. Went to pull my irrigation main valve twister hoojimama out of the pipe at the bottom of which is the valve and it was wet. There is about a foot of standing water in the bottom. That means... My irrigation shut off valve has to be leaking... Right?
    Goddamnit.

I remember the last time I had to dig one of these fuckers out.
    Fuck.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	459718
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Somewhat plumbing related, don't know where else to put this shit (pun intended)

Over the winter the plow smoked a vent pipe for the leach field at the GFs parents place. Had to dig down about 5-6ft to get to intact pipe.

In the interest of getting this done ASAP I bought SCH40 pvc which is overkill but it's all the local wholesale shop had. I forgot about wall thicknesses in my haste, so naturally the SCH40 coupler is too large for the existing SDR-35 pipe.

I found this product online that I'm about to purchase so it hopefully shows up before next weekend.

https://drainageproducts.us/6-pvc-dw...ushing-sp-x-s/

Can anyone confirm this is going to work? My plan is to stick the bushing in the SDR-35 side of the SCH40 coupler.
    proper sized fernco should do this trick if the fix is not going to get inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    That means... My irrigation shut off valve has to be leaking... Right?
    Goddamnit.

I remember the last time I had to dig one of these fuckers out.
    Fuck.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1343.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	459718

I see another TR in your future about digging deep holes.

The vent pipe saga continues... I was able to source a bushing that fit over the existing SDR and inside a SCH40 female/female connector. So things are essentially fixed, with the last piece being the cleanout cap on top.

More of a philosophical question: if this does get inspected at some point, does it matter if the cleanout adapter fits inside or outside the pipe? I guess if the system was truly designed to be 6" you wouldn't want something that reduced the ID.

These are the two options I'm looking at:

Fits inside SCH40

Fits over SCH40

If it's a cleanout, not directing flow. I wouldn't call it out.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Well depth is probably around 100ft? Not sure anyone here knows specifically.
    No storage tank or filtration system that I can see. Not sure on pump HP.
    One large 45-65gal pressure tank at the pumphouse, it appears to be set at ~30psi.
    Our house is about 30ft in elevation above the pump and about 150ft of distance away. The other house on the pump is 50ft in elevation down and 500ft away. The third user is a greenhouse/orchard that's about 600ft away and maybe 5-10ft up in elevation. It consumes a lot of water in the summer
    I share a well. Pressure tank is either air over water or has an air balder. Typically, about 32 PSI of air. Can’t remember but I think you need to check the air balder PSI with tank empty. My water pressure switch turns on at 30 and off at 60. I think that is somewhat typical. If everyone turns off water, you should hear switch click off at around 60 and stay at 60. Turn on water and water pressure will drop and click back on at around 30. Checking the on/off water pressure will tell you something. The PSI of the tank is tested with a tire pressure gauge. If the balder is done, the tank is essentially now an air over water type, and I think will still work that way with more frequent air checks. Dirty sediment filter will reduce your water pressure. Downhill users benefit the most. I don’t have a control box, just an old school inline switch at the tank.

I’d be more concerned about the greenhouse. Maybe they could program irrigation for the middle of the night or during the day when others are at work. Our pump is 5gal per minute and I believe pressure tank is 80gal. Pressure gets low if like three showers are going at the same time and the hose or something is running.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Maybe some Rogaine will fix that balder
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.