Review: 2017 Tecnica Cochise 120 Ski Boots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 9.28.36 AM.png 
Views:	617 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	201605

Weight: 175 pounds
    Height: 5' 11"
    Skiing: I split my days between the resorts of Tahoe (mostly Squaw / Alpine) and the backcountry, about 35-40 days per season. Sometimes I like to ski aggressively and fast, other times take it easy and hit little features. Definitely a directional skier who likes to drive the tips of the skis and not a fan of center mounts.

I’ve now owned every major version of the Tecnica Cochise boot series, starting with the original Pro 130 in 2012/13, then the orange 2014/15 Pro 130, and now the 2016/17 version except in a 120 flex instead of the 130, as I wanted them to be just a bit softer for landings and because I’ve been spending over half of my days in the backcountry. I was also hoping some of the changes to this latest model would offset any slight flex differences, which appears to be the case.

What I can say for certain about this third generation of Cochise boot is that the changes are markedly more dramatic than the differences between the first and second generations. These latest boots are much more refined and dialed-in to their specific purpose of being a do-it-all ski boot. As before, I don’t feel like I’m making any real compromises at the resort or in the backcountry, but everything is just a little bit better.

The first thing I noticed - and was frankly concerned about - was how incredibly soft they felt at room temperature. While all boots stiffen up in the cold, the range with these is noticeably increased and it also makes them easier to step into. When you get them outside those concerns vanish completely.

The changes:

- The addition of a 4th buckle and separate power strap and not just a strap buckle combo has been quite noticeable in making the boot flex more consistently. If I really want to crank down on the buckles and power strap I can probably make the 120 feel even stiffer than the previous 130 boots. I thought I would miss the releasable buckle on the strap but it hasn’t really been an issue; the only thing I wish they had kept was measurement marks on the strap itself, but that can easily be solved with a sharpie. Overall the boot seems to flex more progressively, in part I believe because of having more buckle pressure points from the ankle to the shin.

- The ankle and leg buckles now have a sliding / extending metal clip at the end to hold your buckle clasp in place while in touring mode. This is one of those subtle improvements that I’m a huge fan of. Everything just goes cleanly into place.

- Another subtle change to the buckles is a the lift lock feature, where you can pull the clasp side up a bit and it will lock upwards and out of the way to avoid accidentally catching the buckle again. Anyone who has ever tried to yank off a ski boot only to have it hurt and you realized one of the buckles was caught will appreciate this feature.

- Tech inserts integrated within regular DIN compatible soles is one of the best upgrades for those of us who use both regular downhill bindings and tech bindings. While previous generations had swappable soles, constantly switching them back and forth was an annoyance, not to mention having to carry the other soles around in your ski bag. Not having to deal with this was one of my primary reasons for upgrading.

- I was never a big fan of the liners in either of the previous generations and after 10-20 days I had switched them out for something else. This time I’m actually going to stick with Tecnica’s stock liner as the fit is much better, with a good ankle hold and less pinching towards the toe box area. The instep is bit tighter, which was a concern to me, but it hasn’t been an issue; however, it is worth noting that while I sized down to a 25.5 boot in the previous versions (as widely recommend) with this generation I went back to a 26.5 so that may play a slight factor in how the liner fits. The old 25.5 had a BSL of 300 and the new 26.5 has a BSL of 305, putting them more in line with other boots on the market. Whether this change will be good or bad really depends on your foot and how it matches up with the sizing; for me, I was right on the cusp between sizes before where the smaller size was very snug and a size up would be too roomy, whereas now the 26.5 is a perfect fit. Your experience may vary. I was amazed that I had a nice fit right out of the box (after inserting my custom foot soles) and didn’t need to take them to a boot fitter, which was a first for me.

- The walk mode function is now activated with a flip tab instead of a sliding tab. Beyond that I haven’t really noticed any difference, although some have reportedly had issues getting ski mode to re-engage. I have not had this issue myself. As far as range of motion when touring goes, supposedly it has increased over the previous model but I honestly can’t tell any difference and it was never an issue for me (the ROM improvement between the first generation and second generation was very noticeable, however). They do feel just a touch lighter as well.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-05-2017 at 11:27 AM.

So do you prefer them to the older Technica boots then or no? I know that the older ones preformed pretty well in my opinion. It is nice to hear that they are not too soft in the snow. Was it insanely cold when you went out though?

I also went from a first generation to the new 120 26.5 in both boots and I do agree the new version is better in all categories.
    At 4.25 lbs they do feel lighter and there slightly softer and more progressive I weigh 170 and I am flexing deeper into the new boot. The heal hold and wider toe box also a plus. I didn't like the fat power strap so I replaced it with a booster strap so now it's tight against my calf. I also liked the stock liner at first but at 0 degrees my toes got really cold then after 4 days skiing bell to bell at Alta I found the balls of my feet and toes were getting numb from the instep pressure and grinding down the already thin boot board was no help so I replaced the stock liner with my used Intuition luxury liner padded my instep and baked them and now I am truly happy with them.For me they're super responsive and forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    So do you prefer them to the older Technica boots then or no? I know that the older ones preformed pretty well in my opinion. It is nice to hear that they are not too soft in the snow. Was it insanely cold when you went out though?
    Yes, absolutely. While I was still quite fond of my orange 130's, I was constantly having to swap the tech / DIN soles back and forth and was getting tired of it (especially on days where I skied both the resort and backcountry), and the flex in the new ones is definitely a more progressive feel (I think partly because of having three pressure points from the ankle to the shin instead of two). I've had these ones out in a temp range from 10 degrees to 40 so far, and about 11 or 12 days of use.

How does the sizing compare between 1st/2nd gen and 3rd gen boots?

The BSL for a given shell size is now smaller, leading me to wonder whether the shells and fit are smaller as well. 1st/2nd gen sizing was generous for a given size compared to Atomic/Salomon/Black Diamond.
    Last edited by critical-motion; 03-04-2017 at 10:03 PM.

If the interior length is shorter, it's not by much. Most of the BSL decrease for a given size is due to the elimination of the separate sole blocks.

The fit is definitely smaller, hence no longer down-sizing and going from a 25.5 to 26.5. This is what most people seem to be doing and it was the right call for me.

I was 25.5 in the old am in a 25.5 in the new (zeroG, but same last). My feet are 26 and 26.5 cm long. No desire in going longer

Thanks guys. I'm in a 25.5 older cochise with multiple, but reasonable punches (mostly for width) and a low-volume Intuition Race FX liner. Not certain if I'd size up for the new Cochise/Zero G boot. Guess I have to try them on.

I sized up, very happy with that decision.

I've been on a pair of this new 120 all winter. Prior boot was a '12 Cochise 110 and prior to that an old Dragon slayer, all 28.5.
    New boot does fit better than the last and I'd echo almost everything TahoeJ said; skis great, I toured around for the last three days and the weight is totally manageable and range/quality of motion was great.

That said, the fit is definitely 'different' to where I had to add 2mm heel shims and higher, narrower insoles. I believe the 28 and 28.5 are the same shell with a different liner. I think I could improve the overall fit by stuffing a 29 liner inside and re-fitting. Also, I actually like these stock liners. They're really comfortable and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I've been on a pair of this new 120 all winter. Prior boot was a '12 Cochise 110 and prior to that an old Dragon slayer, all 28.5.
    New boot does fit better than the last and I'd echo almost everything TahoeJ said; skis great, I toured around for the last three days and the weight is totally manageable and range/quality of motion was great.

That said, the fit is definitely 'different' to where I had to add 2mm heel shims and higher, narrower insoles. I believe the 28 and 28.5 are the same shell with a different liner. I think I could improve the overall fit by stuffing a 29 liner inside and re-fitting. Also, I actually like these stock liners. They're really comfortable and warm.
    Same liner different thickness footbed. They only sell 26.5 in US as what's the point?

How different is the instep? I have the Cochise 120 from last year and the instep is just on the edge of too tight for me. I like the idea of my alpine boots (27.5 Mach 1s) having the same BSL as my touring boots. But I'm a little worried about the instep.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    How different is the instep? I have the Cochise 120 from last year and the instep is just on the edge of too tight for me. I like the idea of my alpine boots (27.5 Mach 1s) having the same BSL as my touring boots. But I'm a little worried about the instep.
    It's definitely tighter, but for me this was offset by going up one size. However, if you were going to mold a liner I think there'd still be enough room as far as the shell is concerned. But out of the box it could be an issue.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So I have the green 130 Pros (think this is the original year) in a 27.5 with a intuition ProWrap , I couldn't use the stock liner at all, it ate my achilles. My left foot is a half size shorter than my right with a narrow heel and lower shin but bony ankle and medium wide forefoot. My left foot fits well, but my right the length is pretty tight. I did have some extra room over top of the forefoot that I had to shim and also had to punch both balls of foot for wodth. If I was to go with the new shell, any chance I would be able to still get in a 27.5 length or width wise? Less concerned about width since that can always be punched

^^ I can't speak to the length, but I had to do a punch to widen the toe box on the original 130's, whereas it wasn't necessary with the second generation nor the third. Everyone seems to agree that part of the boot is roomier now. The new liner is much, much better than the original, for me anyway, but every foot is different.