Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Squaw World Cup Logistics?

Thinking of heading to Squaw to see the World Cup. Not sure when this will come to CA again and to watch Mikaela and Resi (inspiration for our little Resi's name) crush the slalom would be a cool experience for our groms.

I have read all about the sh*t show that is Squaw operations and logistics this year. Anyone have any insight or suggestions on what the best way to get in and out of Squaw on Saturday race day? How early would one have to get there to park somewhere? How much of a cluster will the shuttle bus be from Tahoe City where Team Comish might stay w/ a buddy? Is watching for free at the bottom a realistic option or are they going fence off the whole dang thing to bend us over and pay ONEMILLION$$$$?

Go Mikaela and Resi!
    Last edited by comish; 03-03-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Plenty of info on Squaw's web site. As far as how early, how bad, how cluster--how would anyone know--this is new. Suffice it to say they expect 16,000 people at Squaw alone compared to a max this season of 14, 000 at Squaw and Alpine both. Or maybe everyone will decide to stay home. There is no pay viewing available, that's long since sold out. Free viewing is available. How much you will be able to see if half of those 16000 are there to watch (the other half will presumably be there to ski the upper mountain) is anyone's guess. It was easy to watch the national championships two years ago, minimal crowd and some big names were there. Red Dog and Squaw Creek lifts will be closed to the public.

Just the race prep in Aspen for the WC finals, is driving me crazy.
    I'm out of here till it's over. We haven't had a WC in high season for 25 years.

By the time it's over, most locals will want to wait another 25 for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Just the race prep in Aspen for the WC finals, is driving me crazy.
    I'm out of here till it's over. We haven't had a WC in high season for 25 years.

By the time it's over, most locals will want to wait another 25 for the next one.
    Huh? Just ski Highlands.....

Figure out a reasonable time to leave... and then leave 30-45 minutes earlier than that.

Do they not set up a giant screen so everyone can see?
    Also, the NWS is starting to switch over to another stormy weekend starting Friday.

Or you could just go to Alpine and ride the Gondola over to Squaw and then watch the race from the top of the water slide.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

This event will be great proof of their capabilities of hosting a future Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by winecabin View Post
    Huh? Just ski Highlands.....
    I live at the base of 1A and it's 24/7 trucks, cats and cranes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    This event will be great proof of their capabilities of hosting a future Winter Olympics
    bite your tongue

I would try to get there right now. But I'm pretty sure the event will fail - just like the Tram Face comp, Ironman, the pro bike race around the lake, some sort of disaster is bound to happen. If not, well, how do you make Squaw's shitshow any worse than normal? I mean, once the valley is full and traffic is at a dead stop, how can it get worse than that?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I would try to get there right now. But I'm pretty sure the event will fail - just like the Tram Face comp, Ironman, the pro bike race around the lake, some sort of disaster is bound to happen. If not, well, how do you make Squaw's shitshow any worse than normal? I mean, once the valley is full and traffic is at a dead stop, how can it get worse than that?
    To be fair, we have had successful events including the AmGen Tour since then. OTOH, all it takes is a moderate storm to make a course unraceable. I'm not sure what they do in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    To be fair, we have had successful events including the AmGen Tour since then. OTOH, all it takes is a moderate storm to make a course unraceable. I'm not sure what they do in rain.
    Salt that shit and say fuck you to the fish in the lake. They are so sub human

^they're not even in the basin they can go straight HCl rather than NaCl

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Thinking of heading to Squaw to see the World Cup. Not sure when this will come to CA again and to watch Mikaela and Resi (inspiration for our little Resi's name) crush the slalom would be a cool experience for our groms.

I have read all about the sh*t show that is Squaw operations and logistics this year. Anyone have any insight or suggestions on what the best way to get in and out of Squaw on Saturday race day? How early would one have to get there to park somewhere? How much of a cluster will the shuttle bus be from Tahoe City where Team Comish might stay w/ a buddy? Is watching for free at the bottom a realistic option or are they going fence off the whole dang thing to bend us over and pay ONEMILLION$$$$?

Go Mikaela and Resi!
    From my experiences at other venues, it will be difficult to get the groms a good view. without substantial hiking and waiting.
    I would rather spend a nice day skiing and watch it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post

Go Mikaela and Resi!
    Coming from Tahoe City, I'd aim to be on 89 no later than 7:45. On a normal weekend non-blackout day, traffic is backed up on Squaw Valley Road by 8, and the lots are full by 9:30.

As for viewing, there isn't going to be a whole lot of "on mountain" viewing areas. You might see a little from the top of Far East, or you could hang out looker's right of red dog face, but I imagine it'll be crowded. There'll be pretty good views from pretty much the whole base area. One thought is you could just ride Exhibition with the little ones and see things from an elevated point of view.

This is going to be a complete cluster no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Salt. Lots of salt.

I have no idea how Squaw's operational abilities compare to KMart's, but everyone I know who went to the KMart WC in November was psyched they did, including those who brought their groms along. YMMV, of course.

If you get a penthouse condo in the village, valet your Range Rover, don't leave the valley and eat at Plumpjack's you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Salt. Lots of salt.

I have no idea how Squaw's operational abilities compare to KMart's, but everyone I know who went to the KMart WC in November was psyched they did, including those who brought their groms along. YMMV, of course.
    Cool, thanks for sharing that. Tough to know since this kinda thing doesn't happen all that often, but with a pretty fired up U-10 and 2 Mighty Mites who watch Mikaela on TV I'm thinking this could be a pretty cool experience to stoke the fires. Hell, I have only seen 1 World Cup back when they used to have November races in Park City.

KMart isn't known as being brilliant, but Squaw does seem to be especially inept this year, but I'm thinking we just get there early...

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Coming from Tahoe City, I'd aim to be on 89 no later than 7:45. On a normal weekend non-blackout day, traffic is backed up on Squaw Valley Road by 8, and the lots are full by 9:30.

not early enough imo

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Salt. Lots of salt.

This...parking at KMart was a shitshow and the shuttles from remote parking were not plentiful enough. We lucked out and got picked up by a KMS Coach who could get us to within 1/2 mile of the bottom so we hoofed it. Once we got there, it was totally worth it.

I live at the base of 1A and it's 24/7 trucks, cats and cranes.
    your bitching about living at the base of the mountain, ski in ski out. Listen to yourself. Use some earplugs. Jesus.

Jesus Matt, how many alias do you have.

Sorry not a big fan of Skico/Gorsuch building a Hotel in my front yard, "to save the WC."
    When doing so, will actually prevent them from ever holding another race.
    Last edited by Shredhead; 03-07-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Jesus Matt, how many alias do you have.

Sorry not a big fan of Skico/Gorsuch building a Hotel in my front yard, "to save the WC."
    When doing so, will actually prevent them from ever holding another race.
    No idea why that alias came up. last time i used that was like 6 years ago to sell some stuff. Couldnt figure out why i had no messages in my inbox.

Ok, we are rolling up tomorrow! Looking forward to it!